• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Visiting Assateaque Island

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Today Claire and I visited one of our favorite local spots, Assateaque Island. Not only did we walk around parts of the island but we were also fortunate to see some of its wild life to include a sleeping pony and a few deers.[flag]fullsizeoutput_48b5.jpegfullsizeoutput_48b6.jpegfullsizeoutput_48b7.jpegfullsizeoutput_48b9.jpegfullsizeoutput_48ba.jpegfullsizeoutput_48bb.jpegfullsizeoutput_48bc.jpeg

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice photos!
The ponies are still there? I thought they'd have removed them all by now.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@msavold I believe the ponies will always be there as they are a big attraction and brings in a lot of tourist money to the area. [flag]

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, didn't mean permanently - I thought they brought them to the mainland for the winter for some reason. Did some research this morning - I had heard about the pony swim and assumed that they get them off the island for winter shelter. Turns out I had the swim thing all wrong!

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@msavold

The barrier island is in two states. One in Md, Assateaque Island and the other, Chincoteaque, is in Va. They both have wild ponies but they are managed differently. At Assateaque the State only allows a mare to have one fold and actually shoots them a birth control drug to prevent more. they live naturally and for the most part will die a natural death. Whereas the herd on Chincoteaque is managed by the volunteer fire department. Each year they round up the herd and sell some to raise funds. IMO it is easier to see the ponies on Assateaque then on Chincoteaque. [flag]

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just an FYI, the second set of Deer pictures is a Sika Deer (spotted). They are not native to Assateague or the United States. They are currently being studied to determine their effects on the environment and there is consideration to culling them in the near future. They have no natural predator on the Eastern Shore and thus are believed to be having a negative impact on the overall ecosystem.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was not aware of their potential impact on the environment. That said I do not believe any of the wildlife on Assateaque has any natural enemies other than man and major storm. I also hope the environmentalist do not over react to the Sika Deer on the island. Again just my opinion[flag]