• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VRX 203 - Ballast system?

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi, Jet Boaters. We just brought home a 2015 Vortex VRX with the single 250 engine. Almost had the dealer install (and plumb) a Fat Sac system, but weren't wanting to do the Knoxville/Atlanta drive twice. Wondering if anyone with a 203 has set up a ballast system, and would love some details and recommendations. The two side-rear seat compartments are a bit smaller than the 223 we'd hoped to afford, the regular "750" Fat Sacs look a bit too big. Would rather have the bags out of the way, rather than cluttering up the seating area.

Hoping we're not the first to try this! :)

Thanks!
Jeremy

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with your boat but with the yamaha's they have a false wall at the rear of the side seats that if you remove can gain you another few feet of ballast space between the hull and engine compartment

take some measurements and call wakemakers, they can even make customs bags for you,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bobbie here got a custom job bags from WaveMakers (that was for her 212X Yammie, but same idea). Probably what I will be doing at some point.

Do you have the ASP?

--

Last edited:

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you can figure out a way to fit them, you can have my ballast system. I have the 223 and hate how the system takes up the under-seat storage. I've been considering just removing them permanently.

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with your boat but with the yamaha's they have a false wall at the rear of the side seats that if you remove can gain you another few feet of ballast space between the hull and engine compartment

take some measurements and call wakemakers, they can even make customs bags for you,
Thanks, Scott. I found Wakemakers and am looking around at the Sumo stuff, as they seem to be most likely to fit. There is a false wall at the rear of both rear seat compartments, you're dead on! :)

Jeremy

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@bobbie here got a custom job bags from WaveMakers (that was for her 212X Yammie, but same idea). Probably what I will be doing at some point.

Do you have the ASP?

--
Hey, Swatski. I wish they put the ASP on the 203, but we would have had to go 223 or 243 for ASP. Did get a Mission Delta widget to try and create a surf wake.

Jeremy

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you can figure out a way to fit them, you can have my ballast system. I have the 223 and hate how the system takes up the under-seat storage. I've been considering just removing them permanently.
Hey, Pilot. Are you referring to the "factory" ballast that comes with the ASP setup? I'd love that, but the rear storage area is a bunch shorter on the 203, from what I can tell. Is the system plumbed into the hull?

Jeremy

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah, the factory system. It's not necessarily plumbed into the hull. It has some hoses coming from the engine compartment to the 2 side bags under the benches. The front one, I'm not sure where it gets its water supply from.

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hmm. Appreciate the offer, but I think that would end up a serious can of worms for both of us. Thanks, though. Going to see what the local WakeMakers dealer in Clinton, TN can offer. :)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot Is this the ballast design in your boat?

I would be interested in buying or "borrowing" those bags off of you along with any plumbing, if you were thinking of getting rid of them.
I have about 2,000lbs capacity right now but will need way more for testing.

--

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey, Swatski. I wish they put the ASP on the 203, but we would have had to go 223 or 243 for ASP. Did get a Mission Delta widget to try and create a surf wake.

Jeremy
Would love to know how that wedge works out when you get it up and running. I have a 203 as well and plan on working to a surfable wake next season. Also, keep us in the loop on your ballast set ups. I will be heading down the same path with you.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@swatski that looks right. The one that is midship takes up a big portion of the ski locker and I can't fit my son's wakeboard in it. I'll have to take a look at the system to see how to remove it.

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just a quick update to anyone watching this thread, having a very challenging time finding someone willing to work on my Chaparral ballast, or even respond to my inquiries. Wondering if it's the insane "litigious society" we live in, everyone's afraid to work on stuff for fear of lawsuits? Anyway, hope to have some answers soon.

Jeremy

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jeremy Witt Any progress on this? Are you still looking to have it done?

--

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Still working on it. Found a dealer in Clinton who has a near-identical VRX 203 for sale. The shop manager has been taking measurements, and it looks like we're going "custom" bags under the rear seats. Knoxville boat show interrupted the progress, but I hope to make some progress this week.

J

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
In case anyone is following this thread, finally heard back from dealer: none of his ballast vendors seem to want to commit to customizing anything for our VRX 203. Sad, especially since the dealer has the same year and model VRX in his lot, so was able to take quite detailed measurements. Currently looking at "standard" bags, aiming for about 600lbs in the rear, 350-400lbs in the front. Straight Line Sumo products look pretty good. I'll try to report back once we have something set up and tested. Dying to surf! :)

mHoups

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I was just asking the dealer about retrofitting the ballast system into my 203. She said we can and they will use up the storage space under the seats. I was hoping to figure out a way to get them in the hull of the boat and keep my storage.

Definitely interested in your progress

Jeremy Witt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Apologies, I meant to reply, but it's been a crazy summer with a constant stream of visitors. Here's what I figured out:

First, the dealer I was working with, and his vendors, hemmed and hawed about built-in ballast, then portable ballast, until I finally gave up and ordered a 650 and 150 Sumo Sacks direct from Buywake.com (great customer service!!!).

My VRX 203 is rated for 1500lbs total weight, between 800lbs of portable ballast bags and a crowd of folks, we got right around that 1500lbs sweet spot. At which point, the single 250hp engine couldn't quite get past 9mph with the first rider, 10mph with a second one (target was 11mph). The Mission Delta "wake shaper" made a difference, but we could never get to 11mph, or figure out where to put the Delta for the best wave. At this point, we're calling this "our first boat" and looking for possible upgrades next Spring. If you have a VRX with the largest engine choice, and you have the patience, you can likely make this boat surf, but we've tried and failed. :(

We originally looked at jet boats for the low draft (variable depth lake here) and low price versus prop-driven boats. Found out the hard way the original owner sucked up debris and scored the wear ring, costing us two long trailer-drags and near $500 to correct. This lake is very sparsely populated, and with the water levels changing frequently, there's a LOT of "foliage" floating around most of the summer (including the occasional 30' tree!), and now the drive seems to be lagging again, suggesting we've also scored the new wear ring. As strange a boat as it seems, looking hard at the "Heyday" WT series of boats, once we figure out if they do well with slalom skiiers (gotta keep wife and her fam happy, too!).

I wanted to love this boat, wanted the 223/ASP orignally, but with the fragility of the jet drive, accepting that props may be the way to go.