• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake enhancer comparison

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m planning to up our wakesurfing game next year. I’ve been diligently reading the posts on the different wake enhancing devices on the market today for Yamaha boats (wake wedge, wake booster, thrust vector wake). I’ve read different opinions on the pros and cons of the different devices. What I’m interested in are head-to-head comparisons by people that have actually tried multiple options.

For those out there that have tried multiple wake enhancement devices, who is up for sharing their perspective? I’m sure each one has its place and will fit different needs. Help out those of us on the forum who are debating one of their next big purchases. Thanks!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Considering only size/push/shape/surfability, no one has shown a better wave than the Gantlin WakeWedge with transom ballast+. There are other factors to consider when discussing TV wakes and the Wakebooster, but if your goal is purely the best surf wave, the WakeWedge (with at least transom ballast and ski locker ballast) is it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had the pleasure of using both
View attachment 103046

and

View attachment 103047

I my opinion the Wake Wedge with ballast listing produces a much better surf wave! Hopefully Yamaha will keep fine tuning their attempt at a surf boat so we can stop stacking weight on the swim decks to get the perfect wave.
This is a good write up, in general discussion section.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m planning to up our wakesurfing game next year. I’ve been diligently reading the posts on the different wake enhancing devices on the market today for Yamaha boats (wake wedge, wake booster, thrust vector wake). I’ve read different opinions on the pros and cons of the different devices. What I’m interested in are head-to-head comparisons by people that have actually tried multiple options.

For those out there that have tried multiple wake enhancement devices, who is up for sharing their perspective? I’m sure each one has its place and will fit different needs. Help out those of us on the forum who are debating one of their next big purchases. Thanks!
Maybe I missed something, but the Thrust Vector Wake has been a hot mess the last time I checked, has that changed?

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Considering only size/push/shape/surfability, no one has shown a better wave than the Gantlin WakeWedge with transom ballast+. There are other factors to consider when discussing TV wakes and the Wakebooster, but if your goal is purely the best surf wave, the WakeWedge (with at least transom ballast and ski locker ballast) is it.

I would have to agree that the Wake Wedge seems to have put out the smoothest surf wave yet. So for those looking for a surf-only enahancement, that is it.

But no, the TV-wakes are not a hot mess. They have done exactly what was promised. They not only add great steering, they do add volume and shape to the surf wave while cleaning up the wake. But they are more a Swiss Army knife enhancement in my opinion. They are not the best, but they offer more benefits than just a surf wave. They have taken the tubing spray down as promised as well.

So with all the bitching, they still do the primary benefit of offering great steering. And some shape, but by no means as good as the wake wedge from my experience. if I were a surf-only guy, I would have wished I would have gone that way. But our family loves to tube, and that was worth it for that purpose too.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But no, the TV-wakes are not a hot mess. They have done exactly what was promised.
Thank you for the clarification, glad to hear those TVWs live up to expectations!

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for the clarification, glad to hear those TVWs live up to expectations!

--
I don’t think I would go quite that far. I think most would agree that their expectations were much higher. Many expected these magical fins would turn their boat into a quarter million dollar surf machine. And that’s just being silly.

Those with lower expectataions just weren’t disappointed with the outcome.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t think I would go quite that far. I think most would agree that their expectations were much higher. Many expected these magical fins would turn their boat into a quarter million dollar surf machine. And that’s just being silly.

Those with lower expectataions just weren’t disappointed with the outcome.
The expectations were the product will do what it’s been advertised to do...

The last time I checked it doesn’t. Great control at low speed comes at the cost, this thing will bend bolts for the reverse gate. That is not good.
And no, let’s not blame the L13, or anything else that increases thrust (that’s just nuts, pan intended).
Here are the pics after just one outing.
I know, I know, this is all being addressed and the newer version will be even better!
Who knows? Might even come with enough epoxy [sic] to hold the steering together.
The Lucky 13 cone is not compatible with the original TVW setup. The increased thrust caused the bolts to bend and even caused the reverse gate to catch. View attachment 96539View attachment 96540View attachment 96541
I too had the TVW and was running a Lucky 13 cone. The additional thrust from the Lucky 13 cone caused the bolts to bend on the TVW which resulted in my reverse gate catching and posing a major safety issue. I spoke with Will over the phone and they have done no testing with the TVW and the Lucky 13 and admitted over the phone that they are not compatible.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think we can leave the badmouthing of the product to Jeff. He’s best at it. Swatski, you gain nothing by spreading other peoples bad experiences other than stooping to his level. Now if you had actually used the product, and you had a bad experience that would be different.

I think the closest comparison is which is worse, crapping on the floor, or spreading someone else’s crap after it happened. There is no need to be that guy. We know you are better than that. Share you experiences and be known as a great resource, like you usually do. Those who spread FUD, lose the respect of readers for sure.

I have not had a bad experience, and I pre-ordered my product. So I can safely say that someone with a boat similar to mine, should expect the same experience. As those that had problems should only worry those that have the same exact setup. But not all the other owners, as it does not apply. That’s the only reason I share in my vids and write ups exactly what I have deployed so that others can learn from it. Rather than spread FUD that will not apply. Just like you do. Your setup on that model boat is nearly ideal. That’s good info to share, and people appreciate that.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The expectations were the product will do what it’s been advertised to do...

The last time I checked it doesn’t. Great control at low speed comes at the cost, this thing will bend bolts for the reverse gate. That is not good.
And no, let’s not blame the L13, or anything else that increases thrust (that’s just nuts, pan intended).
Here are the pics after just one outing.
I know, I know, this is all being addressed and the newer version will be even better!
Who knows? Might even come with enough epoxy [sic] to hold the steering together.
This is the main reason I have been holding out on pulling the trigger. It seems @JetBoatPilot are continually modifying/improving the TVW system. We are not a surf family (as of yet) and spend most of our play time wake boarding and tubing. The TVW system advertises to resolve the issues we have been having. We are looking for something to clean up the higher speed (18-20 mph) wake and spray. I currently have the TV X's (bought before the TVW was available) and they do a great job. I am curious to know if just adding ballast would clean up the wake/spray since it would drop the boat lower in the water. I got to thinking about this after finding better wake boarding conditions when we have more passengers (ballast) on the boat. We generally don't go out with more than 6 on the boat, but the one time we went out w/ 10 is when I saw better boarding conditions. The weight was pretty evenly distributed about the boat. Does anyone have any experience with this set up? I may have to experiment with this if it has not yet been done.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are not a surf family (as of yet) and spend most of our play time wake boarding and tubing. The TVW system advertises to resolve the issues we have been having. We are looking for something to clean up the higher speed (18-20 mph) wake and spray. I currently have the TV X's (bought before the TVW was available) and they do a great job.
I will post my latest photo from yesterday, knowing I am gonna get flamed huge for a number of reasons. But I may as well throw this up and let you all have a good laugh.

1. My ladder is down
2. I’m towing from the tower, shame on me.
3. I have 6 kids on the granny tube (having a blast mind you, and they weigh nothing

The point of the photo is note that there is no spray out at 60ft for the tubers. And I am solo in the boat with no ballast. I hope that helps. We are seeing much less spray at tube speeds. 20-23mph. Wake speeds 18-20 are about the same.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@biffdotorg I have the 210 FSH Sport and unfortunately cannot tow from the T-Top. I really want to give it a try as I have heard about others doing it with light loads, but the replacement/repair costs if it goes bad far outweigh my desire to try it. I wouldn't never attempt pulling a tube from the T-Top. My kids are kamikazes on the tube and there are times I worried if the transom tow hook was even gonna hold..... 🤞.

I am of the belief that if your actions are thought out and reasonable (you pulling a light load from the tower), then there should not be anybody criticizing you. I am confident I could pull my daughter wakeboarding from my T-Top as she stays right behind the boat with no lateral stress. My son on the otherhand....... and if I let my daughter try from the T-Top, then he will want to as well. I was really hoping to see Yamaha add a beefier towing option from the T-Top on the new 2020 model.... I love my 210 FSH, but this is one area that could be improved. There are other CC manufacturers who offer a T-Top pylon. It certainly can be engineered.....

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The point of the photo is note that there is no spray out at 60ft for the tubers.
Are you f@cking kidding - this picture????
I would hope the tube towed off to the side of the wake would get no spray from the jets, lolol. :D

Dude, enjoy your TVWs, but frankly I would hope you know better than that. I don't care if I'm stooping to anyone's level, Jeff CObra's level is way up from mine probably, lol. But the point is - he is exactly right about this bullshit product.

Yes, I do have a strong opinion on TVWs and I do take an issue with you promoting a product so flowed it's really hard to imagine it would not be recalled at some point.
And no, I don't need to purchase it to test it.
I didn't need to test it when it featured the Eagle Head, and I don't need it now with V1 or the V2 molecular gauges, lol.

Hey, have fun and keep us posted. I'm always happy to eat my words down the road when the amazing TVWs are all dialed in and creating a smooth, large wave you can surf on both sides. Not gonna hold my breath though.

--

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would like to see the thrust vector wake with the wake wedge combined if they are compatible. For anyone that has surfed the jet wash is the wipe out / Danger zone.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Simply put the Gantlin Wake Wedge is going to be your best bet at consistent and effective cleaning up of the wave face. Personally I've not been impressed with the wake booster especially when compared to the Wake Wedge. Also not impressed by the TVW. Go with what's tried and true recipe (wake wedge, swim deck bag, center locker bag) and you'll be good to go.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wakebooster works on my boat just as well as the wedge. The advantage of the booster is it’s small and easy to change sides. The advantage of the wedge is it can be left on all day. 2016 AR240

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you f@cking kidding - this picture????
I would hope the tube towed off to the side of the wake would get no spray from the jets, --
Dude not where they are. I meant straight back. There is no spray at 60ft. See where the ladder is.

I’m trying to be polite that you have no right to badmouth something you have not experienced. All you are doing is making yourself look like an idiot.

I actually respected your opinion and now you just made it worse. Don’t be a keyboard jockey. You are better than that. Or just keep proving me wrong.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Simply put the Gantlin Wake Wedge is going to be your best bet at consistent and effective cleaning up of the wave face. Personally I've not been impressed with the wake booster especially when compared to the Wake Wedge. Also not impressed by the TVW. Go with what's tried and true recipe (wake wedge, swim deck bag, center locker bag) and you'll be good to go.
Have you seen the wakebooster in action? Is it that much worse?

I’ve got a 212x so I’ll be good on ballast once I add a swim deck bag. My one hang-up with the wake wedge is that I’ve heard that it is a pain to switch sides on the water.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No I haven't seen the wake booster in person so just judging what I see on here compared to what I see with equally ballasted wake wedge. It is true the wake booster is easy to deploy and setup but what's more important the wave or the initial setup? The reality is none of these are going to be quick setups no matter what you do unless you're using multiple pumps to fill bags.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m trying to be polite that you have no right to badmouth something you have not experienced.
lol. "Badmouth"? No, sir.
I call it "reason" (the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic, Oxford Dictionary).

--