• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Foil (Poll on Group Buy Interest?)

Who's interested in a group buy on a Slingshot Hoverglide (wake foil)?

• My spouse said no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
EDIT: Here's the official location to make your interest known with the buyer. Vote "Yes" if you would like to join the group buy and be cool.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/r7-watersports-slingshot-wake-foil-group-buy.17285/

I'm thinking of adding one of these to my collection for the upcoming season... I've kind of been obsessing over the idea since my wife gave me the okay. She said she'd rather have one of these than the sliding barn doors we have planned for the entryway into the livingroom... (that shocked me!) We'll end up doing both I'm sure...

What do you guys think of them? These guys make it look so fluid and easy. I'm a pretty coordinated guy, it'll be interesting to see how quickly one can pick it up. I'm most intrigued by what it will be like to surf with one. With the right wing configuration these guys are floating the 3rd and 4th wave... it may be a good solution for those not running ballast and wanting to do some rope-less surfing...?

I've got an "in" with the owner of a board shop locally who deals them (friend from high school days) and is crunching numbers for me. I thought about asking her if she'd consider a group discount for form members... I've yet to pitch the concept, and I'm not sure I want to take the lead on it? I'm not sure how those work on here either...? It seems other group buys have been manufacture direct vs retailer managed? @Bruce @Julian how do those work if the retailer is interested, is it worth asking? How many forum members would be interested?

I know @Williamsone46 has got one, but I've yet to see them hit the forum as a frequent topic. It seems like it's a sport that's about to take off. I can't wait to give it a go!

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Super interested in that. What's one of those things usually go for? $1k?

Nevermind.....I went and found the site. $1,100.....oof that's rough, but looks like a helluva time.

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Super interested in that. What's one of those things usually go for? $1k?
The 2018 package runs about $1,500-$1600 depending on accessories... can go up to $2k if you add things like surf fins and additional wings. It'd be nice shave some off that... :greedy:

I think I'll be working out a purchase either way.

Edit: there are some left over 2017 models on the market for around $1k. The difference is they lack the option to add straps and fins for wake surfing to the board.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes I'm super interested to see if they are as good as they show they are. Supposedly because of the less drag effect, like you say above one can go ropeless with smaller waves like our boats generate, compared to dedicated wake boats...
I would be very interested in participating in any sea trial tests and/or group buy if proved to be as advertised.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be very interested in participating in any sea trial tests and/or group buy if proved to be as advertised.
I too am interested in testing/trials/etc. Not sure I can spring for one this season (unless we get under $1k for a basic setup). Have access to both my little jet boat as well as a nice centurion surf boat, and a tritoon for testing :D

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've always been interested in these, but they were (and seem to be) still out of my price range. At 1500-2k....that is an expensive toy. If it were to drop sub 1k....then I think it would become "popular".

As for the group buys on the forum....anyone can run one. We give a forum "notice" to anyone that makes it a members only event (we are just trying to incent membership and deals for members!)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I'm thinking of adding one of these to my collection for the upcoming season... I've kind of been obsessing over the idea since my wife gave me the okay. She said she'd rather have one of these than the sliding barn doors we have planned for the entryway into the livingroom... (that shocked me!) We'll end up doing both I'm sure...

What do you guys think of them? These guys make it look so fluid and easy. I'm a pretty coordinated guy, it'll be interesting to see how quickly one can pick it up. I'm most intrigued by what it will be like to surf with one. With the right wing configuration these guys are floating the 3rd and 4th wave... it may be a good solution for those not running ballast and wanting to do some rope-less surfing...?

I've got an "in" with the owner of a board shop locally who deals them (friend from high school days) and is crunching numbers for me. I thought about asking her if she'd consider a group discount for form members... I've yet to pitch the concept, and I'm not sure I want to take the lead on it? I'm not sure how those work on here either...? It seems other group buys have been manufacture direct vs retailer managed? @Bruce @Julian how do those work if the retailer is interested, is it worth asking? How many forum members would be interested?

I know @Williamsone46 has got one, but I've yet to see them hit the forum as a frequent topic. It seems like it's a sport that's about to take off. I can't wait to give it a go!
Great post!!!!
If they can sell something that works reasonably well for ropeless surfing for under 1k - I would be in on that.

I don't really want to develop it but wouldn't expect it to be perfect either.
It could be a win-win for them to offer their product at a great group buy price here. And - unleash a bunch of jetboaters testing it in the wild, lol.

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Oh yeah build the doors yourself. I built 2 sets for way less than 1k. Both are bypass doors with the wrought iron guides

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh yeah build the doors yourself. I built 2 sets for way less than 1k. Both are bypass doors with the wrought iron guides
Yeah, that'll probably be the way I'll go. I own a custom cabinet shop and my last name literally is Carpenter... so you'd think I'd be all over that... :smuggrin: I've got my own kitchen remodel to do first. Here's how that's going...20180309_205336.jpg

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This looks a lot like the Air Chair from about 20 years ago.
The foil idea is pretty cool, but they've always been expensive toys...

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@J-RAD

Being a professional husband, having made all the mistakes, I think it would be in your best interest to finish that kitchen prior to taking on other projects.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the slingshot wake foil. I'm thinking about building one the big slow foils this guy has. https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/
His build videos look pretty easy and it would give me an excuse to learn how to fiberglass.

The process to ride is not to hard. If you can wakeboard or surf, you can do the foil. My kids have the most time on ours. But with the hydrophase installed, hopefully I'll get more time. I'd go for the biggest wing. Slowest ride on smaller waves. No ballast to deal with.
My kids can ride it 2 up. I have a few other videos on YouTube of it in action.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD

Being a professional husband, having made all the mistakes, I think it would be in your best interest to finish that kitchen prior to taking on other projects.
Wiser words were never spoken... I've got to get on it before boating season starts to interfere...

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the slingshot wake foil. I'm thinking about building one the big slow foils this guy has. https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/
His build videos look pretty easy and it would give me an excuse to learn how to fiberglass.

The process to ride is not to hard. If you can wakeboard or surf, you can do the foil. My kids have the most time on ours. But with the hydrophase installed, hopefully I'll get more time. I'd go for the biggest wing. Slowest ride on smaller waves. No ballast to deal with.
My kids can ride it 2 up. I have a few other videos on YouTube of it in action.
Nice! It looks like she's got a good amount of push off of that wave. Have you looked at the other wing options from slingshot? The H5 (Hover Glide) wing is what comes with the 2018 kit. I'm not sure if they've changed that at all from previous years? But the H2 and H4 look like they'd be fun to try wake surfing. I'm not sure what power and lift the H5 is going to generate for a 200lb guy on a modest wave... maybe it's fine...? What have you found?

I hope my kids get into it. My 10 year old (my oldest) is probably the only one up for it. It looks manageable for those who have a little coordination. The old air chairs @AboveTheBest mentioned always looked intimidating... these just look fun!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a weight limit on these things? I'm a solid 220 most days and 6'2" tall. I have problems with surf boards not being big enough. Buddy has a centurion with a gazillion pounds of ballast and makes what feels like a 4ft tall wave. Can't throw the rope in on either of his 3 boards. I'll go for a bit but eventually lose push and fall off the back of the wave. Longest I've gone is maybe 30 seconds without the rope. Are these foils the same way? Would hate to spend $1k and not be able to "surf" with it. On the other hand it looks easy enough to do with the rope all the time.

Also, what speed are these guys riding at? One video mentioned like 15mph. That's just off plane for my AR190, and without a speed control I'm not sure I could maintain that easily. I know the wife couldn't for certain. Guess I "need" that $1k Hydrophase, before I can get this $1k foil :) :)

You guys sure are good at spending my money!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The air chair came out in the late 80s. Always likloo bad ass, but always cost a ton of cash. Even at half that price it's still questionable. Looks super fun!

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Despite the potential embarrassment, I think @J-RAD should post some videos of his initial attempts with the foil.

I feel like the setup could offer the potential for some serious wipe-outs, and I'd like to see/hear how difficult it is for an average human (not professional boarder) to learn to ride.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've gotten a few long rides after 2 afternoons of trying. Lots of launching until the wing hits the surface...then smashing. The learning curve is easy. I'm 50 and have wake boarded and snow boared. The crashes are easier on you due to the speed. As for surfing the wake, with the larger wing and higher weights, I'm sure you could do it. There is almost no drag in flight. I pull my kids at 11-12 with both of them on the same board.
I have last year's model. I think the new wing will fit my board. I have to check the specs close and compare the DIY wing to it. I'll post a video when the water warms up and I put the hydrophase to work with my wife driving.
I've tried an air chair before and this is no comparison. The foil is way easier.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Despite the potential embarrassment, I think @J-RAD should post some videos of his initial attempts with the foil.

I feel like the setup could offer the potential for some serious wipe-outs, and I'd like to see/hear how difficult it is for an average human (not professional boarder) to learn to ride.
I'm not scared of a little embarrassment...! :nailbiting::wacky: Besides... I get up on everything the first time! :cool: Except for my mom's slalom, that thing was a bwizatch! BUT I'm still the only one who's gotten up on it... :p We'll see how this plays, it looks like a dream ride!