• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Surf - Can a board be too big?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, I've finally purchased a board for myself, and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl

But, @BigAbe75s Wife may have the opposite problem. She's been riding a Liquid Force Fish 5'0, and it keeps getting away from her. Does she just need more practice (probably)? Or, is it possible that this board is too big/buoyant for her at <nvm - deleting height and weight before I get in trouble... let's just say small>. We're wondering if she needs a shorter or less buoyant board?

"getting away from her" above could be defined as - speeding down the face and trying to ram the boat among other things.

Last time out she was working on changing up her stance a bit, but just doesn't feel like she has enough braking power. Hopefully, we'll get out one evening this week. Stars didn't align for an outing this weekend.

I told her we have to go back out with @jcyamahariders wife sometime. :)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This got back to page 5 on Recent Posts. Just bumping it back to the front, in case someone missed it, that could reply. :)

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ride a 9' foam Costco board behind my dad's io. This is a bad picture just getting up, but I've ridden with slack in the rope. It's a 24 cobalt and has a terrible wakeboarding wake. The water is usually chopped up, so surfing is the only fun thing behind that boat.
Screenshot_20180807-065128_Photos.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think more practice. You really need to work on finding the sweet spot. Once you figure that out Both of you will be golden!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The wife got some more practice in yesterday, and she’s just about got it. Wider stance did the trick, but now she says it’s almost uncomfortable her legs are so far apart. At only 5’2, she thinks the board is a bit too long for her. (5’0 Liquid Force Fish).

If anyone has a 4’ board they’re looking to pass on for next season, let me know.

We’ll have a few more outings this year. Hopefully she’ll find her comfort zone on the board and get used to the stance.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We will let her try some shorter boards at Shelbyville Abe.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sweet! I forgot the GoPro yesterday. We almost went back home for it, but didn’t.

Had such a good time, totally wish we would have gone back for it. I didn’t end up taking any pics.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So, I've finally purchased a board for myself, and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. https://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl

But, @BigAbe75s Wife may have the opposite problem. She's been riding a Liquid Force Fish 5'0, and it keeps getting away from her. Does she just need more practice (probably)? Or, is it possible that this board is too big/buoyant for her at <nvm - deleting height and weight before I get in trouble... let's just say small>. We're wondering if she needs a shorter or less buoyant board?

"getting away from her" above could be defined as - speeding down the face and trying to ram the boat among other things.

Last time out she was working on changing up her stance a bit, but just doesn't feel like she has enough braking power. Hopefully, we'll get out one evening this week. Stars didn't align for an outing this weekend.

I told her we have to go back out with @jcyamahariders wife sometime. :)
I'm by no means anything close to an expert on wakesurfing we are just starting out this year but I can say we have the Liquid Force Rocket 5'0 which is pretty much the exact same as the fish (Liquid Force Rocket was the replacement model after they discontinued the Fish) and I've had two different 100lb-ish pre-teen girls rope-less on it without issue. However, we are still on just stock ballast and 2-3 adults in the back corner to get rope-less so our issue is mostly trying to stay in front of the wake right now. Kids at their weight can do fine but I need to pump to get a 30-60 sec ride.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wife got some more practice in yesterday, and she’s just about got it. Wider stance did the trick, but now she says it’s almost uncomfortable her legs are so far apart. At only 5’2, she thinks the board is a bit too long for her. (5’0 Liquid Force Fish).

If anyone has a 4’ board they’re looking to pass on for next season, let me know.

We’ll have a few more outings this year. Hopefully she’ll find her comfort zone on the board and get used to the stance.
There is no reason to have such a wide stance. Just shift her normal stance farther forward. You don't need the back foot all the way at the back.