• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake surf

Lesley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone found a good option in after market products for wake surfing. I was looking at a swell wave shaper; but there is no option for a 19ft Yamaha. Daughter wants some upgrades to do more on the water - but I don’t really know too much about what I can buy to boost up her game.
thanks

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your boat is 2019 or newer yamaha has the wakebooster kit with the wakebooster shaper and some ballast. It should be enough to start with the right sized board and a few hundred pounds of people weight in the boat. Then add ballast as needed.

Attachments

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi @Lesley,

It's important to note that a shaper does not build a surf wave, its job is to clean up the wave. A clean wave generates more push than a turbulent wave and that is why they are a helpful add-on. The 19' models however, because they are a single jet, don't have as much of an issue with jet wash, ballast alone has proven to be enough. I have seen how the 19' WakeBooster does improve the wave for those who have it though.

Ballast is the key to creating a surfable wave and where you should begin when setting up your boat. You want most if the added weight to be situated on the surf side corner of the swim deck. Weighing down the back surf side corner will create a deeper hole too fill and as a result, when the water comes rushing back in to fill the void, it will enhance the side of the wave on the same side. Complementing the swim deck ballast with additional weight in the bow or ski locker will be helpful in lengthening the wave. A good ratio is about 60% of the added weight in the rear and 40% in the ski locker. Too much weight in the swim deck alone can cause the boat to struggle getting up to speed. The most popular way people are adding weight on the swim deck is by adding the custom transom ballast bag from Gantlin Products. It puts the right amount of weight right where it's needed.

A suggest reaching out to them about what ballast might be needed to complement it with. A couple hundred pounds of lead bags would be fairly easy to move around and store.

As @white2kstang mentioned above, Yamaha has the WakeBooster kit for the 2019+ 19ft boats. They come with a small amount of ballast split between 2 bags, although it is still modest. In the promos they have it evenly displaced which doesn't work as well.

She would like some assistance in picking out a board oh, I have a side business as a watersports dealer and can give you a recommendation and a good discount. Reach out anytime.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Lesley So I bought the 650 lb custom bag for my 195s, used it this weekend. I don’t have the wake booster. AMAZING wave transformation! After only using passenger weight, this bag is a MUST! We had 3 adults on the boat (approx 450lb) & the transom custom 650 bag! Absolutely no problem going ropeless! Decent wave we could play on and do a few tricks, have yet to master the 360.
My wife was a bit pissed about me spending $600 on the bag and pump. After she surfed she said it was the best money spent on any upgrade. Only downside to the 19ft is that other wakeboat waves can be a bit disruptive to our smaller boat.

by the way - I placed the bag in the center since I surf goofy and the others surf normal side. That way I didn’t have to move the bag. Wejust had passengers sit surf side.

Attachments

Last edited:

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Getting ready to add 370lb bag to the ski locker and around 150 of lead to the bow 10mmy 19'. Need a a long and taller wave. Wakebooster did clean the wave up.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Getting ready to add 370lb bag to the ski locker and around 150 of lead to the bow 10mmy 19'. Need a a long and taller wave. Wakebooster did clean the wave up.
What’s your current set up that you are adding to? Wakebooster and any ballasts? Let me know how your mod turns out. Wondering what the max wave we can get on these 195s is? Currently I’m producing about 3.5 ft high wave with maybe 8ft max play area where I still have enough push to recover

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
What’s your current set up that you are adding to? Wakebooster and any ballasts? Let me know how your mod turns out. Wondering what the max wave we can get on these 195s is? Currently I’m producing about 3.5 ft high wave with maybe 8ft max play area where I still have enough push to recover
Just the stock 19' wake surf package at the moment, Doing an audio upgrade at the moment, 2nd battery amps etc. Do to the extra weight the boat was listing slightly to the port side so I added 2 50lb lead weight bags to starboard to correct. Now to implement the above. In the process of moving so not sure i'll get time to play with it before and of season. But will update on progress. the link shows the first and second outing in July,
1st Time Wake Surfing | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Lesley Only downside to the 19ft is that other wakeboat waves can be a bit disruptive to our smaller boat.
That's why we go early in the AM ... glass lake !!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I prefer7:30 -8pm, glass then also.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's why we go early in the AM ... glass lake !!
If I could only get the first mate and crew up that early. I’ve usually had coffee made breakfast and prepped the boat before they roll out of bed smh..

josh_h25

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My current setup on our 195 is 725lb custom transom bag on surf side along with 370lb sac in the ski locker @ 10 mph using perfect pass. No wake booster, it’s way overpriced for the single engine boats IMO.

Attachments

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
My current setup on our 195 is 725lb custom transom bag on surf side along with 370lb sac in the ski locker @ 10 mph using perfect pass. No wake booster, it’s way overpriced for the single engine boats IMO.
Nice wave. I was looking at Wakemakers 370lb bag, is that the one you have and was there any problems with fit when filled?

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find with my 19ft non-turbo motor, I walk a fine line between weight for surfing and still being able to get up to surf speed. With a full boat and my home made wake booster I cant get past 9.5 mph. I am at about 1200' elevation. (which makes a huge difference with these small boats).
I have added:
Aftermarket lucky 13 pump cone
pump seal
ribbon delete
ride steady cruise control
650lb fatsac center swim platform
240lbs of sand in 6 bags: half on swim platform surf side, and half in the bow
usually 6 passengers in the boat (women and kids mostly)
Slingshot coaster board
I can now go rope less in a very small pocket I weigh 190lbs. My kids were going rope less with just the sand and no fatsack.
I made a wake booster but the boat wont get to 10.7mph with it installed.

Attachments

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Just ordered a universal fit bag for the ski locker from Wakemakers; 60X15X10, 365 lbs. Will fine tune until we think we have it as good as possible, not being a "ski boat". Will probably add at least 100lb to bow as well.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I find with my 19ft non-turbo motor, I walk a fine line between weight for surfing and still being able to get up to surf speed. With a full boat and my home made wake booster I cant get past 9.5 mph. I am at about 1200' elevation. (which makes a huge difference with these small boats).
I have added:
pump seal
ribbon delete
Slingshot coaster board
I can now go rope less in a very small pocket I weigh 190lbs. My kids were going rope less with just the sand and no fatsack.
you are not alone, my 255xd with supercharged twins stuggles with the added weight. Have to add bow weight to help. thats the catch 22. Need extra ballast to the point the boat is hindered getting up to speed. My boat has the power, its the speed control that just wont allow past a certain amount of throttle in connext controlled surf modes.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have added:
pump seal
ribbon delete
Slingshot coaster board
Would love to see a pic of your homemade wakebooster

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll try to take a pic when I get home.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just ordered a universal fit bag for the ski locker from Wakemakers; 60X15X10, 365 lbs. Will fine tune until we think we have it as good as possible, not being a "ski boat". Will probably add at least 100lb to bow as well.
Love to hear how it works out! Please post results

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The diy wakebooster does push the wave over pretty good, but I have a hard time getting past 9mph with it. I designed it for the 2017 ar190 hull. If it worked I was going to get my son to weld more up and sell them...... but it didn't work as good as I'd hoped.

Last edited: