• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake surfing the '17 212X

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been very interested in the new 212X for the last year. We'll be trading up to the 212X from our current boat, which I like very much as a simple boat. My 19' Regal doesn't have a tower, we can't surf behind it, and we're looking for more room in general.

My biggest desire is to wake surf. It seems that all the dedicated wake boats are good at only being wake boats. $o there'$ lots of rea$on$ I'm passing on one of them.

Out of the box, is the wake on this 212X going to be enough for us to be entertained by? My kids are 10 and 8, so I'm not looking for a pro-style wake here, but I certainly want it to be able to surf it, as the boat is advertised. What concerns me is, I've noticed that all advertising of the 212X only shows, literally, 3 seconds of surfing behind the boat. There's another video on youtube that demonstrates both the 242X and the 212X wake surfability, however, again, each shot of the surfer is always done behind the 242X. What gives?!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The wake is entertaining enough for your kids - but you will need more ballast weight or the Wake Wedge or both to really surf, to let go of the rope. The 17's come with more ballast than my 13' if I recall.
That said - We've surfed ropeless behind my 13' 212x - but it took people and cooler ballast.
Placing extra bags across my seats or on the floor is just something I refuse to do.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been very interested in the new 212X for the last year. We'll be trading up to the 212X from our current boat, which I like very much as a simple boat. My 19' Regal doesn't have a tower, we can't surf behind it, and we're looking for more room in general.

My biggest desire is to wake surf. It seems that all the dedicated wake boats are good at only being wake boats. $o there'$ lots of rea$on$ I'm passing on one of them.

Out of the box, is the wake on this 212X going to be enough for us to be entertained by? My kids are 10 and 8, so I'm not looking for a pro-style wake here, but I certainly want it to be able to surf it, as the boat is advertised. What concerns me is, I've noticed that all advertising of the 212X only shows, literally, 3 seconds of surfing behind the boat. There's another video on youtube that demonstrates both the 242X and the 212X wake surfability, however, again, each shot of the surfer is always done behind the 242X. What gives?!
The factory ballast is only about half (if that) of what you really need to make a surfable wave in either X (212 and 242). Those youtube clips are all done with extra ballast on board, too - you can see it in some of the shots.

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, that begs the question, what aftermarket products need to be added in order to make a decent wake behind the 212X?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wake wedge to clean up the jet wash from the twin engines and more ballast bags to push the boat in the water further.

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are considering the trade to a 242XE and had the same concerns with not enough ballast. Is there anyone who has added additional ballast bags under the seats? Anyone? It would be awesome if Yamaha would have put these under the deck and then added plug and play bags where the hard tanks now are. Baby steps I guess.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@GoVols01 I surfed behind a 2017 212X this past weekend. Well, kinda surfed. You will definitely need the Wake Wedge and more weight. We did not come to any firm conclusions on how much. I was getting close to having enough push to let go of the rope but we had to stop experimenting. We had a full center tank and full port tank and about 700 lbs of people.

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, not having been in one is there enough room under the seats for additional bags. Also, our local dealer said they were adjusting the nozzles in to help reduce the wash.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
We are considering the trade to a 242XE and had the same concerns with not enough ballast. Is there anyone who has added additional ballast bags under the seats? Anyone? It would be awesome if Yamaha would have put these under the deck and then added plug and play bags where the hard tanks now are. Baby steps I guess.
There isn't much room left under the port side seat in the 242x with the factory bag, two batteries, and stereo equipment to add more, but there is room under the starboard seat if you take out the ice chest to add a bigger bag or additional small one.
That said, with factory ballast, 4 or 5 people onboard in the back we (avg size adults) can go ropeless with a large board. I put an additional 550 bag across the two backward facing seats is pretty decent with just a driver. However I still ordered the wakewedge to clean up and build the wake even more for this season. Small kids will surf ropless once you get the boat dialed in with just the factory bags. That was our experience last year with our 242x...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I figured it maybe easier to start from scratch. I just finished my install - integrated 3 x 800lbs bags:

The ballast is fully integrated and on dashboard switches, fills/drains under 6min. Still need extra deck/seat bags.

--

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
anyone add the wake wedge to the to either X series yet? I too am looking to surf this year and I do notice that pics of the wake haven't been that impressive. I can see the need for more bags.

I am thinking for surf specific days, bag under starboard rear and another on the swim platform.

With just Ballast, lets say another 700lbs (total of 2100lbs), can adults surf ropeless (no wakewedge)

it looks like the wedge is a pain, what if you surf for an hour and then want to get gas and drive 25 minutes to a restaurant for dinner? Would you notice the drag? All of the ballest would have been emptied by them,

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I surf ropeless all the time with factory ballast and no wakewedge, but with 4 or 5 adults onboard. I'm 220 lbs.
or with an extra 550 bag on the rear deck seats and only a driver onboard.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
nice, i have NO had a chance to get my boat on the water YET, so I have no idea what the wake is like.

I will probably have around 600 lbs of people on the boat during most surfing. I am going to go with the stock setup, see where we are, if I need more I will add a bag and go from there.

I am not sure about the wake wedge because of my above post.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It would be awesome if Yamaha would have put these under the deck and then added plug and play bags where the hard tanks now are. Baby steps I guess.
I've been saying this all along.
If you're gonna offer a boat as a wakeboat, and then charge more than some wakeboats (Supreme, Axis, Moomba) - then build a proper wakeboat.
Obviously this would require some hull changes - but so what.
If Yamaha designed a "true" wakeboat - I'm sure they'd sell all of them.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For sure they would sell at least one:)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have quite a few 242x with the Wake Wedges on them. The best Wake I have seen behind one was full factory ballast with 750 bag on the surf side seat and a 400 bag on the swim deck. Jeff page from inland surfer was actually surfing it.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am running a Wake Wedge on my '17 212x and my wave looks great. Running full factory ballast (1100lbs), a 750lb centered on the swim deck and a 750lb (3/4 full) on the rear port seat. With all of this my wave looks great.... What I think I need now is additional front ballast.... maybe a 450lb bag on the bow floor to lengthen the wave/pocket. With the current wave we have been able to surf w/ slacked rope. I think with the additional front ballast and a little less brake on the surfboard (thanks for the input @jcyamaharider ) we should be good to go.

Attachments

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have thought about an X and adding a pump for a bow bag and another port side bag.

I have a 400LB bag under the front port seat after talking with Jcyamaharider and it helped.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Blenderhead wave is looking pretty nice! Throwing some weight up front should lengthen it. If you have a few extra people you can try moving them to the front to lengthen it as well.