• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Surfing

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So, has anyone tried the Yamaha Wakebooster along with a Swell Wakesurf Creator (or the like)?

I am wondering the addition of a wave-shaper on the opposite side of the boat would clean up the top of the surf wake?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you talking about one of those things that you suction cup to the side of your boat? If so I believe someone tried something like that and it was hard to try and keep straight.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The side mount shapers work by causing a delayed convergence of the wave. The problem jet boats encounter is that's these devices force counter steer and counter steer in a jet boat means you end up turning surf side causing the jet wash to ruin the effects.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The side mount shapers work by causing a delayed convergence of the wave. The problem jet boats encounter is that's these devices force counter steer and counter steer in a jet boat means you end up turning surf side causing the jet wash to ruin the effects.
What if you used two, one on each side?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What if you used two, one on each side?
That's a $500 what if that I don't know the answer to. Seems like it might contradict the delayed conference and equal out the effect in the wake/wave. Just speculating.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's a $500 what if that I don't know the answer to. Seems like it might contradict the delayed conference and equal out the effect in the wake/wave. Just speculating.
I just emailed Wake Swell to see if they'd let me try it on my boat. Told them I'd buy it if I could return them if it didn't work. I was thinking maybe you put the surf side back near the transom and the non-surf further up to counter the steer?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just emailed Wake Swell to see if they'd let me try it on my boat. Told them I'd buy it if I could return them if it didn't work. I was thinking maybe you put the surf side back near the transom and the non-surf further up to counter the steer?
I'm interested in seeing the results.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The swell shaper does not work on jet boats. I believe another member purchased and did not get good results.
I personally would stick to whats "proven"

Rygoo1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m seeing the slow turn that happens when properly ballasting a 19’ Yamaha For surfing , I’m wondering if the swell wake shaper would “balance” this out if used on the opposite side? Anyone tried this?

Ed Bourne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got 2005 SX 230, most of the wake boosters say they only fit 2015 and newer. soes Anyone know if that’s correct and if so any other solutions out there?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think this was addressed in your post on the other thread already,
wake booster is from Yamaha and only for newer boats,
for your boat, buy a wake wedge or build your own booster,

Tthor55

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think this was addressed in your post on the other thread already,
wake booster is from Yamaha and only for newer boats,
for your boat, buy a wake wedge or build your own booster,

Any one have some good plans of how to build one? I’ve also got a 2005 SX230

Ed Bourne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah that’s what I’m told. My kids surf now without anything. They just hang onto the rope. I’m just trying to clean up the wake a little, Without having to fill up ballast bags

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah that’s what I’m told. My kids surf now without anything. They just hang onto the rope. I’m just trying to clean up the wake a little, Without having to fill up ballast bags
The thing is cleaning up the wave isn’t going to provide push to surf ropeless. Displacement is what generates push, so if planning to wake surf without a rope you’re going to need to add some ballast.

Ed Bourne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So far no one is complaining about holding onto the rope. I like it as the driver because I spend less time turning around to grab someone who got out of the sweet spot. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has the wedge that can tell me what it does without ballast on the older Yamahas. Thanks for the info

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
That's good feedback. Have a wake shaper all picked out (195 S on deposit), will probably look at other options now.