• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

wake surfing

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to wake surf behind a 215 with the ballast?

Cs419

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How do you think my 165 150-hp without the tower will do? Was interested in an aftermarket part that kept the rope higher than the standard mount.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you think my 165 150-hp without the tower will do? Was interested in an aftermarket part that kept the rope higher than the standard mount.
You do not need a tower for wake surfing. Ideally the wake will be pushing you once you are up.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think you would have a really hard time being able to go ropeless behind a 165. There just isn't enough weight there to make a big enough wave or enough weight carrying capacity/power to load it up with enough ballast. I've tried it in my AR192 and it is doable in small boats, but these boas just aren't designed with that in mind. I didn't like how my boat handled the weight and ran at really high RPM's for long periods. That said, I still think it's still fun to get out back on a surf board and screw around on the rope.

Cs419

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I purchased some wake bags and weighted my vessel down then I would be good possibly. Hopefully, the Rotax won't mind the high RPM's for towing. Don't think I will be purchasing the setup this or next year but thanks for taking the time to help break it down.

Cs419

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How about if I purchased a larger tank to my current 20 gallons. Then if I filled it all the way I might get a better wake. Would also spend less time at the pump. What is your input Jet Boaters?

Shawnp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are there any good wake wedges that will make a good wake on a 2017 yamaha AR190.

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I wake surfed behind my 165 this summer and it worked pretty well. If you get the speed right you can get a decent wave. I think this summer I will bring a couple sand bags out with me and try them on the swim platform. I figure that is a cheap way to try some ballast. If that works maybe I will invest in a ballast tank.

I'm also considering a tower - just to make getting up easier for people. The Scarab tower is crazy expensive (~2700). Difficult to find a tower that I like that fits the beam size of the 165 and won't interfere with getting in/out of the boat.