• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboarding critique requested

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys,

We're brand new to this and we're able to stand up at least. Not really interested in tricks and flipping, just an easy ride at this point.

Please take a look at let me know if the speed looks right, the line length, and the size of the board for me. I'm 203# and the board is a 140cm.

I'm suspicious that the board is too small for my weight. My daughter's boyfriend shows a completely different ride than I do. I seem to be pressed into the water much more.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm at 200 lb and a 140 is fine. You are going way too slow it appears and dragging in the water. 17-20 mph is target for most. I like around 18.5 but don't wakeboard much. You need a non stretch rope and length is based on where you want to be on the wake to jump. If you will never jump then it won't matter much but looks plenty long enough.

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks - This was already at that speed. I had them keeping it at 18-20 once the rider got stood up.

We're using a wakeboard specific rope that doesn't stretch.

Maybe even faster than this then?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks - This was already at that speed. I had them keeping it at 18-20 once the rider got stood up.

We're using a wakeboard specific rope that doesn't stretch.

Maybe even faster than this then?
Sorry that doesn't look like you are going that fast. I guess just practice. I couldn't even get up the first year we had the boat. I'm going 18.5 here.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi guys,

We're brand new to this and we're able to stand up at least. Not really interested in tricks and flipping, just an easy ride at this point.

Please take a look at let me know if the speed looks right, the line length, and the size of the board for me. I'm 203# and the board is a 140cm.

I'm suspicious that the board is too small for my weight. My daughter's boyfriend shows a completely different ride than I do. I seem to be pressed into the water much more.

The best advice I ever got was:

Always keep an edge!

If you ride flat, the board will wiggle. If you lean back, you have a solid heel side edge. Then get used to the heel side edge and once comfortable start shifting to a toe side edge. When you switch you WILL notice the wiggle in the middle if you don't switch with purpose/intention. You want to switch back and forth smoothly.

Also looks to me like you are going too slow. But you definitely don't want to be going over 20mph! A face plant at that speed will hurt!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, taking a class from a good instructor will make a huge difference! There are some very simple, but not intuitive things you can do while boarding that an instructor can show you. I was lucky enough to get my tips from a champion wake skater Danny Hampson while at a Yamaha media preview event!

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you guys, Good advice here. We probably are going too slow.

Is there a big difference between let's say 17mph and 19mph? Really narrow sweet spot that needs to be hit?

What are some key points to look for to determine that you're not going fast enough, or too fast?

We were both actually up on the board the second time doing it, although as can be seen we look like a bag of smashed assholes.

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you guys, Good advice here. We probably are going too slow.

Is there a big difference between let's say 17mph and 19mph? Really narrow sweet spot that needs to be hit?

What are some key points to look for to determine that you're not going fast enough, or too fast?

We were both actually up on the ski the second time doing it, although as can be seen we look like a bag of smashed assholes.
If it feels like you are sinking in the water vs gliding on top then you are likely too slow. It will be different based on weight and size of board. After that it's about feeling in control.

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WHOOHOO!!!!

We were too slow. Different ball game today!

Thank you again for the advice guys. I'm on my way. Only one faceplant today!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Much better speed! You still want to be carving more edge. You can see as you are going straight that the board wiggles. Lean back and carve that heel side edge. Then switch to the toe side. Keep carving back and forth like that and you'll feel much more in control. Plus on the heel side edge you can throw some good spray that looks cool in photos! :cool:

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might check your boats speedometer with a phone speed app.

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought I was on edge but after looking at it again through your lens, I see that I'm totally not.

That's going to be my focus. That wiggly board is what's really holding me back.

I have a Garmin there so I have GPS speed and that's what we are going by now.

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it possible to wakesurf using a wakeboard?

LMK if this is a hard fail before I try it. ;)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bonfiggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Big difference between video 1 and video 2!

Now that you have the speed figured out, incorporate the carving that Julian mentioned. As you're doing that, lower that rope a bit and "lock" it into your hips. As you lean back and begin carving, that rope should drop lower, about hip level, and you can control most of your movement through your hips/torso. This gives the most control, and alleviates some of the pressure on your arms/shoulders. Also helps in straightening out your legs and reinforcing your balance. Watch your legs from the 1st video, then again in the 2nd - giant difference.

Really good progress in a short period of time though!

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Big difference between video 1 and video 2!

Now that you have the speed figured out, incorporate the carving that Julian mentioned. As you're doing that, lower that rope a bit and "lock" it into your hips. As you lean back and begin carving, that rope should drop lower, about hip level, and you can control most of your movement through your hips/torso. This gives the most control, and alleviates some of the pressure on your arms/shoulders. Also helps in straightening out your legs and reinforcing your balance. Watch your legs from the 1st video, then again in the 2nd - giant difference.

Really good progress in a short period of time though!
Thanks man! I can't wait to get back out there and do that. I guess it just takes some balls to kind of go for it, and I will.

My girls have found the Shaun Murray videos very helpful.
Here is one:

I musta seen every single one ten times by now. JB and David OC too!

Next time I get out there I will post another video, but I owe the progress almost entirely to the advice I got here, so thank you very much and I will keep working hard!

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Nice! Now get yourself some good tower speakers so you can rock out when jumping the wake.

satovod

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
you need to straighten and lower your shoulders, thereby you can relieve the stress on your biceps and triceps. Load the board with a little more heels, shifting the center of gravity a little back and outward, now you have a very forward centering, because of this the board dangles along the course. The torso is turned, you ride sideways on one side of the body, without loading the other.

The first thing you need to try is to stand up a little more comfortably. You're just not comfortable. Lower your arms, the handle of the cable should be at your outstretched arms near your waist, your shoulders should be turned (not slouched) and lowered. The load from the shoulders goes through the torso to the pelvis and hips. Your thighs are your strongest and most resilient muscles. If you hold with your back and press, you will quickly get tired and have poor control. The hips are fast, they are used to maintaining balance, they hardly get tired. Load your heels, load your board, move your center of gravity/pressure point lower down your body from your chest (like now) to your waist.