• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboarding for Newbie

Jjones-stevens_2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Everyone!

We enjoyed a great summer last year on our new to us 2012 SX190 mostly floating and occasionally tubing. After not being able to secure a bigger boat this summer, we’ve decided to try expanding our water sport activities with the SX190. A few questions...

-Have you had success wakeboarding without a tower on your SX190? We plan to get a bigger boat next year and with that don’t want to spend the money on a tower, Bimini, cover, etc.

- what would be a good starter wakeboard? Any deals going around you are aware of? Largest rider would be 200lbs and 6’2”

- what rope and length would you recommend?

- Would also love to hear any tips/tricks from your experience towing at the swim platform location

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can wakeboard without a tower, you’ll just have a hard time getting up in the air. I’ve wakeboarded behind an aluminum outboard fishing boat before.

Buy a decent wakeboard specific rope (no stretch) and it will have segments where you can adjust the length to your liking. Without a tower you probably want to go pretty long so you have more freedom to get up in the air before the rope pulls you back down, but just experiment and see what you like.

I haven’t bought a wakeboard in a long time so can’t help you there.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We used to wakeboard in the 90s without towers.... we did just fine, at least we thought.

60ft to 75ft is common. I'd start at about 60ft.

Hyperlite has a good board selector, showing ability and weight rating. Bigger is better than smaller. You will need 2 boards if your weight range I more than 40 -50 lbs.

Don't get an Airhead or dirt cheap board. Maybe try to find a 2 or 3 year old used better quality board and bindings if money is tight.

There are no deals this year. I pre-ordered a murray 150 in February, the dealer was sold out by March 1st.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll second a Hyperlite Board. The make quality products and stand behind them pretty well. I ride a Hyperlite Stylus a few times a year (skate, not board).

In general a larger board is easier to get up on initially, then slower to respond to inputs. 6'2" and 225lbs here, and I ride the skate with no problems. It's about 75% of the surface area of a similar length board, and it holds me up just fine. I highly suggest a skate if you don't have a tower. No need to get very far off the water, and plenty of tricks to try to keep you entertained. No need for ballast. It hurts less when you crash too.

No stretch tow line is a game changer. It will make everything you do quicker/faster/better. Spend a little cash here, and it will reward you. I think you can get lines for under $100 now that are really good.

Just keep in mind, without a tower the main pull of the rope is lower than your hips. It will attempt to pull you "down" slightly. Also, because it's at the stern, if you cut too hard to one side you can "pull" the back of the boat off course. Jets are particularly susceptible to this. Just be aware and don't cut quite so hard. With a tower it pulls from the center of the boat, so you don't induce a rotation in the boat with hard cuts. Again, not a big deal, just be aware. Finally.......Getting air on a board is all about technique. If you try to "brute force" it, you'll have poor results. A good, in practice, wakeboard rider can easily go wake to wake on the tiny little wake a 190 makes. I used to be able to do it on my Rinker 182 (4cyl 19ft I/O) with a low tow point and a no-stretch rope.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No stretch tow line is a game changer. It will make everything you do quicker/faster/better. Spend a little cash here, and it will reward you. I think you can get lines for under $100 now that are really good.
Yep I picked up an airhead dyneema rope 2 years ago and it was $75 or so. Nice rope and very much worth that cost although the foam on the handle is starting to show some wear. Bright ass yellow so I don’t suck it up.

I also ride a hyperlite wakeboard and have been very happy with it. I went big (142) and I’m about 185.

We also have a wakefoil, which in my mind is the best thing you can get for these boats with the lack of ballast, but it’a expensive and a steep learning curve.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We also have a wakefoil, which in my mind is the best thing you can get for these boats with the lack of ballast, but it’a expensive and a steep learning curve.
I want a foil very much badly, but haven't had the spare cash to make it happen just yet.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I want a foil very much badly, but haven't had the spare cash to make it happen just yet.
I started by explaining what it would take and cost to put a ballast system in the boat and suddenly my wife thought we needed a foil too! Luckily got it before covid.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got a wakeboard last year and have had no problems towing without a tower, the 190 is not a true low tow point so that helps a lot. You do not need a tower to wakeboard, even to make jumps.

Take a look at the slingshot nomad or the solo, both are really nice boards. The nomad is a long board and makes getting up and jumping behind the 190 super easy (this is what I ride). Like others have said, just don't go cheap, Slingshot or Hyperlite. 2021 Nomad + Option Bindings | Transom Watersports

If you are new to the sport, check out Shaun Murray's Detention series, it's old but is designed to tech proper technique with a ton of tips on how to get up: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzW7auimACTo2jYfsUqGqaP0rUqRG6M1w

A side note, if you want to have a more enjoyable experience with water sports and the 190, skip the tower and add RideSteady: Ridesteady GPS Speed (Cruise) Control For Yamaha Jet Boats | HYDROPHASE LLC

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A side note, if you want to have a more enjoyable experience with water sports and the 190, skip the tower and add RideSteady: Ridesteady GPS Speed (Cruise) Control For Yamaha Jet Boats | HYDROPHASE LLC
This.....100% this......Totally forgot to mention it in my small dissertation above.

I don't have it, and speed control is an issue. I've gotten used to the varying speed, but beginners have a rough time. We target 18mph, but will vary between 16 and 21 or so. Skate gets REALLY "heavy" and lethargic at 16. Really squirrely and hard to control at 21.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This.....100% this......Totally forgot to mention it in my small dissertation above.

I don't have it, and speed control is an issue. I've gotten used to the varying speed, but beginners have a rough time. We target 18mph, but will vary between 16 and 21 or so. Skate gets REALLY "heavy" and lethargic at 16. Really squirrely and hard to control at 21.
After having it, I don't think I would be able to ride (or really tow for that matter) without speed control. It really makes a massive difference, one of those "you don't know what you are missing until you have it" kind of things. I have a wakeboard profile setup at 18.5 with two people in the back and the boat puts out a nice wake.

Legolas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Starter Wakeboard: Look for a wakeboard around 138-144 cm in length with a moderate rocker. Consider wider boards, larger fins, and a continuous rocker for stability and a smoother ride. Popular brands include Hyperlite, Liquid Force, Ronix, and CWB. Wakeboard Rope and Length: Choose a non-stretch rope made of materials like spectra or dyneema. Opt for a handle for a better grip. The length depends on your riding style and boat setup, but around 65-75 feet is common. I myself haven’t bought any wakeboard, because I have no possibility to ride it in my home town and I ride it when I travel as I did recently renting a wakeboard on https://yeprent.com. For me it’s just simpler and less worries in my mind.

Last edited: