• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboarding in the Potomac dc area

toddgray519

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can someone tell me where I can go wakeboarding on the Potomac River I’m going to be docking at the dc James Creek Marina. Thanks

Dfred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can someone tell me where I can go wakeboarding on the Potomac River I’m going to be docking at the dc James Creek Marina. Thanks
GREAT question we struggled with for a season. We trailer from Springfield and have tried a few spots up north , and south … but arrived at the “just right” location for us*
- Belmont Bay (Occoquan off Mason Neck State Park).
criteria based on:
1. 20-mins from driveway to ramp - no DC traffic!
2. Clean & healthy (as can be) water we feel comfortable getting our bodies and dogs into.
3. Diversity of boat activity options for the whole crew (beach, chill, raft, SUP, BBQ, board, tube, dock-and-dine/drink upriver towards Occoquan).
- There is a wonderful state park beach area to anchor up on and enjoy at the SE entrance …. It can get crowded though.
4. Protected water from winds and swells of the big main river and …. Mostly shallow (beware and check the charts NW-half is VERY shallow) - shallow makes for more accessible to jet boats and less attractive for props - giving us more room to play and it being less busy overall.

Potomac at DC is “illegal” to swim. There may be areas up north nearer to you…. Sadly, Many inlets in the area (Pohick Bay example) also serve as municipalities wastewater treatment “pump out”…. Oh God - the horror of DC waste water system combined with other pollution issues made much of the Potomac a Warning “contaminated fish and water” zone for years. Check out the “Swim Guide” app and River Keeper reports for water quality status!

Sorry I can’t recommend much closer up towards you .. the times we spent up in DC and by Alexandria- we just didn’t find anything as awesome as Belmont Bay.

PM me if you want to meet up …. Will be there this weekend!

Attachments

Last edited: