• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboarding on jet boat without ballast.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In case the question is asked if you can wakeboard on a jet boat, the answer is below (my 14yo son) using an AR210 with no ballast, close to empty, and Perfect Pass set to 20mph.

FB_IMG_1470319121084.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah one day I will get that high......on second thought no I won't bones break to easy now.

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I wakeboard behind my SX192 (no tower). At just under 20mph, my wake is quite a bit steeper than what you see in the photo above. With a little more practice and nerve, I should be able to jump all the way across the wake. I am 52, so falling hurts a little more so I am taking my time.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What length of rope are you guys using?

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
65' rope

The wake will get steeper if I slow down to 18/19 or add weight.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Mine is probably 65'. I bought whatever Body Glove rope that Academy Sports had at the time. I intentionally did not want one of the strong, expensive, non-stretch lines as I would prefer the rope to cut easily if it gets run over with the boat. I don't think I am good enough to notice the difference.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is probably 65'. I bought whatever Body Glove rope that Academy Sports had at the time. I intentionally did not want one of the strong, expensive, non-stretch lines as I would prefer the rope to cut easily if it gets run over with the boat. I don't think I am good enough to notice the difference.
This one is a Hyperlite Murray line with the wrap handle. We have another Hyperlite rope without the wrap handle that goes down to 65 feet. The max length for either is 85, which I use for beginners.

They float and are very visible in the water. The non-stretch line is going to help when you edge out to load the line for your progressive edge in.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it's like golf, the basic stuff can make it work, it's all about your ability, more expensive doesn't mean better,

this was my son a few years ago, we were having to teach our selves. BuckBuck's kids should be the poster children for what you can do with these boats (and what a good picture a camera can take!)

jacob high jump off wake 09072013.jpg jacob high jump off wake 09072013.jpg

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want to get into this. My next project to research what is needed.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A couple of years ago...I don't really wakeboard any more. No ballast. With ballast it is easier to clear wake and jump higher.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Scottintexas , it's all about getting low in the boat and pointing the camera up to make it look like they are jumping higher.:)
All the kids on my boat board with a 65' rope. They seem to hit the wake at the sweet spot that way.
IMG_2252.JPG IMG_5018.JPG IMG_5092.JPG IMG_9071.JPG IMG_6969rev1.jpg

Last edited:

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@buckbuck - that first pic is priceless. Inverts seem to make for the most dramatic crashes, but apparently don't hurt as much as catching your toe side and taking a header.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
A couple of years ago...I don't really wakeboard any more. No ballast. With ballast it is easier to clear wake and jump higher.

No tower either? Man I've been absolutely dying to wakeboard since I was a teenager and still haven't gotten to. I bought one almost two years ago to the day and I still haven't used it once. It is killing me because I don't have anyone to drive the boat. My wife has driven it once but it lasted all of thirty seconds (apparently I make her nervous??).

I keep saying someday I will get a buddy or someone I trust out with us to drive but it hasn't happened yet. It doesn't help that I can't reasonably fit the wakeboard in the ski locker. Between that, not having a tower, or ballast I haven't really forced myself but man does this thread give me hope!

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be honest, you don't need ballast or tower to learn. We started with neither and worked our way up, slowly adding speed and weight. We even wakeboard behind the jet ski when we don't feel like taking the boat out, its great for learning fundamentals such as board control, slides, ollies, 180s, etc. I've taught more people to wakeboard behind the ski than the boat because it's so much easier to maneuver and walk someone through it. Once they get up and comfortable, we move to the boat.

@captainhook - If you're looking for something more compact, try a wakeskate - they slide in most places since they don't have the bindings and give a similar experience to wakeboarding. It might be a good way to ease into it without having bulky equipment along.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
To be honest, you don't need ballast or tower to learn. We started with neither and worked our way up, slowly adding speed and weight. We even wakeboard behind the jet ski when we don't feel like taking the boat out, its great for learning fundamentals such as board control, slides, ollies, 180s, etc. I've taught more people to wakeboard behind the ski than the boat because it's so much easier to maneuver and walk someone through it. Once they get up and comfortable, we move to the boat.

@captainhook - If you're looking for something more compact, try a wakeskate - they slide in most places since they don't have the bindings and give a similar experience to wakeboarding. It might be a good way to ease into it without having bulky equipment along.
Thanks. I was secretly toying with the wake on my boat on the last outing to determine if using a wake skate would be feasible. :)

clint6760

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We wake skate on our boat more than wake board. I like it quite a bit more. Don't have to mess with the boots and you don't wipe out as bad when you catch an edge. It's fun just doesn't seem like many do it.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's what we do with the jet ski, sometimes you need to be creative with obstacles:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just sold my SeaDoo. I wanted to wakeboard behind that too but there is nowhere to store the board.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length