• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboarding

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got behind the boat yesterday to do some wakeboarding and it's about damn near impossible to wake board behind these boats with no speed control. It wasn't enjoyable at all. I was yelling at my wife, my wife yelling at me, etc. Wakeboarding behind our friends Supra last week really spoiled us. I don't know if I want to put any more $ in this boat though with plans of only keeping it one more summer. Ugh! Here is a pic of the action.

IMG_7236.JPG

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMG_7241.JPG

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got behind the boat yesterday to do some wakeboarding and it's about damn near impossible to wake board behind these boats with no speed control. It wasn't enjoyable at all. I was yelling at my wife, my wife yelling at me, etc. Wakeboarding behind our friends Supra last week really spoiled us. I don't know if I want to put any more $ in this boat though with plans of only keeping it one more summer. Ugh! Here is a pic of the action.

View attachment 63567
Really? We have a 14' and enjoy wakeboarding with no speed control quite a bit.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe I need to practice but the issue I see is when my wif hammered it to pull me up she quickly approached 30 mph and I was hanging on for dear life. Well then she backs off and the rope slacks and makes it difficult to stay up. It felt like she was constantly speeding up then slowing down. The boat I was on last weekend had a gps feature where you put in desired speed and just pushed throttles to full throttle and boat did the rest. I assume that's standard on the tow boats?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That looks like horrible conditions. Perfect Pass or similar is a great addition and a must for boarding or surfing in my opinion.
Yes it was very choppy. Too many boats out to try to wakeboard. I just wanted to get a few runs in

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe I need to practice but the issue I see is when my wif hammered it to pull me up she quickly approached 30 mph and I was hanging on for dear life. Well then she backs off and the rope slacks and makes it difficult to stay up. It felt like she was constantly speeding up then slowing down. The boat I was on last weekend had a gps feature where you put in desired speed and just pushed throttles to full throttle and boat did the rest. I assume that's standard on the tow boats?
Sounds like a coaching opportunity for the Mrs. . . . . You hammer it, get on plane then slowly back down. Should never have to come up above 18-20mph.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same when I was driving. I pulled my wife up and then tried to back off throttle and rope go' slack quickly. Guess I need to get a feel for the throttles but I don't ever see my wife adjusting to it. The dual throttle levers make it really tough for her.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same when I was driving. I pulled my wife up and then tried to back off throttle and rope go' slack quickly. Guess I need to get a feel for the throttles but I don't ever see my wife adjusting to it. The dual throttle levers make it really tough for her.
Im not saying perfect pass, or the like wouldnt make it better. . . . Just saying with a little practice it's not as much if necessity as it would seem just starting out.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like your doing a lot of over correcting. I use RPM as a reference for my speed. Knowing that 7500rpm gives me about 28mph after I pull someone up I just set 7500rpm then wait for the boat to come to speed and make minor adjustments from there. I find this helps.

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Im not saying perfect pass, or the like wouldnt make it better. . . . Just saying with a little practice it's not as much if necessity as it would seem just starting out.
Yeah, we aren't trying to be professionals or anything haha. I'll practice with it more next season and try to get a better feel for it. I'm planning on trading/selling after next season so will make sure next boat has speed control built in

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha offers boats with GPS speed controls....like mine :winkingthumbsup"

But you can also add speed controls like RideSteady (easy install) or PerfectPass for less than $1500 (which still keeps your price well below a dedicate wake sports inboard).....If I were into wake boarding or surfing, I wouldn't have a boat without it!!! Unless you have a wife who is an excellent driver...(which I don't have, and it sounds like you don't either----and no, my wife doesn't read the forum, so I'm safe!!!! LOL)

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm picking up what your putting down @MattFX4. It's my second season with my 2016 AR240 and my wife is a novice boater/operator. She struggled with towing me the whole first season... speed was always creeping up our down... it was more scary than fun. I even noticed while I was the one doing the towing there was a lot of babysitting the cruise assist.

All I can say is the Hydrophase Ridesteady was worth every cent. She can't do wrong pulling me with it. Wakeboarding, wakesurfing, slalom... out doesn't matter.

Its just a awesome addition to the boat whatever the case. I use it while cruising around all of the time with a smile on my face because my twin engines are in prefect harmony. Almost like I saved $20k off an E-series... Almost...

I don't know what boat your running. But if its compatible, it's worth it in my opinion... I installed it myself without any trouble. You can bet I'll up-sell it when it comes time for a new boat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think a throttle sync and use of the cruise assist feature once she gets you to your target speed would go a long way towards resolving the problem without breaking the bank.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 63567
We are buying the ridesteady for this very reason. I have a lot of control pulling the kids on wakeboard less than 100 lbs. Pretty easy to get on plane with them at 18 to 20 mph. When my wife pulls my 225 lb butt up. It's fast slow fast slow. I think the ridesteady will be great for take off and holding speed for all. Maybe @Ridesteady will do a group buy this winter

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are buying the ridesteady for this very reason. I have a lot of control pulling the kids on wakeboard less than 100 lbs. Pretty easy to get on plane with them at 18 to 29 mph. When my pulls my 225 lb butt up. It's fast slow fast slow. I think the ridesteady will be great for take off and holding speed for all. Maybe @Ridesteady will do a group buy this winter
If they did, I would consider it. . . . . .as long as we don't trade up for an 18' XE :cool:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If they did, I would consider it. . . . . .as long as we don't trade up for an 18' XE :cool:
Man I am torn on all this electronics on boats and vehicles for that matter. Dec 2016 we just upgraded our entire fleet of roll off trucks from 2004 to 2005 trucks to 18s Nothing but electronic issues with no resolution. Ride steady is a add on and can also be removed.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Man I am torn on all this electronics on boats and vehicles for that matter. Dec 2016 we just upgraded our entire fleet of roll off trucks from 2004 to 2005 trucks. Nothing but electronic issues with no resolution. Ride steady is a add on and can also be removed.
Did you really upgrade your trucks just one year?? GPS cruise control like Ridesteady would be a easy add on and doesn't change the way the throttles work....wish it had been available for my model year boat when I bought Perfectpass....

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you really upgrade your trucks just one year?? GPS cruise control like Ridesteady would be a easy add on and doesn't change the way the throttles work....wish it had been available for my model year boat when I bought Perfectpass....
2004/ 2005 to 2018s. I wish I didn't have too, but the accountant and taxes. Well I guess I'm ok with because we made too much money.

Attachments

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length