• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

WakeBooster Clarification

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wanted to clarify something with all of these surf products now on the market.

The JBP TVW and the Gatlin Wake Wedge essentially achieve the same thing: deflection of jet wash.

The Yamaha WakeBooster appears to “enhance” or “amplify” or “boost” the SIZE of the wave, AND (based on the videos we’re seeing) it also does a pretty good job of cleaning up the wave and deflecting jet wash, as well.

So, considering I already have a ski locker bag and a swim deck bag, I should only need the WakeBooster to provide a pretty good surfing experience? I’m next on my dealer’s list for a WakeBooster, but delivery is now pushed back to May 27th. I know I shouldn’t count on it ever actually coming in, but I don’t want to install any unnecessary devices (I.e. - TVW or Wake Wedge) in the mean time.

Any thoughts from the experienced surfers out there like @swatski ??

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think there is enough real world tests out there yet to justify an answer. I would just hold off for right now and see what plays out. Then you can make your decision. TVW or the Wake Wedge isn't going anywhere.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just wanted to clarify something with all of these surf products now on the market.

The JBP TVW and the Gatlin Wake Wedge essentially achieve the same thing: deflection of jet wash.

The Yamaha WakeBooster appears to “enhance” or “amplify” or “boost” the SIZE of the wave, AND (based on the videos we’re seeing) it also does a pretty good job of cleaning up the wave and deflecting jet wash, as well.

So, considering I already have a ski locker bag and a swim deck bag, I should only need the WakeBooster to provide a pretty good surfing experience? I’m next on my dealer’s list for a WakeBooster, but delivery is now pushed back to May 27th. I know I shouldn’t count on it ever actually coming in, but I don’t want to install any unnecessary devices (I.e. - TVW or Wake Wedge) in the mean time.

So far.... the only "experienced" users are using the Gantlin products - WakeWedge and bag. We all know that combo works and have seen the videos. Nothing else has been sufficiently available for a ton of real world info to be gathered.

One thing to remember is that the Wedge isn't going to be compatible with the Booster, as they both use the rear tie-down loop. The TVW will work with either of the others. No idea how those combinations will work together, and I would not really expect JetBoatPilot to run many tests together with those products.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Only the Gatlin Wake Wedge has been tested so far "in the wild". It works.
The custom swim deck bag is the key, IMHO.

I think the booster has potential but no idea how it will compare to the wedge.

--

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only the Gatlin Wake Wedge has been tested so far "in the wild". It works.
The custom swim deck bag is the key, IMHO.

I think the booster has potential but no idea how it will compare to the wedge.

--
Let’s forget real world tests for a minute, though.

In-theory... TVW and Wake Wedge do the same thing. Deflect jet wash.

WakeBooster (again...in-theory) supposedly adds to wave size AND appears to deflect jet wash.

So, with an 800lbs swim deck bag and 750lbs in the ski locker and WakeBooster, TECHNICALLY there really isn’t a need for TVW or Wake Wedge, right??

This isn’t meant to be a debate on any of these products. I’m just making sure I understand what they do or are SUPPOSED to do. Again, just a newbie getting clarification here...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In theory all 3 are meant to clean up the wake. Simple as that. You already have the ballast so I wouldn't worry about the rest.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let’s forget real world tests for a minute, though.

In-theory... TVW and Wake Wedge do the same thing. Deflect jet wash.

WakeBooster (again...in-theory) supposedly adds to wave size AND appears to deflect jet wash.

So, with an 800lbs swim deck bag and 750lbs in the ski locker and WakeBooster, TECHNICALLY there really isn’t a need for TVW or Wake Wedge, right??

This isn’t meant to be a debate on any of these products. I’m just making sure I understand what they do or are SUPPOSED to do. Again, just a newbie getting clarification here...
I hear you!
We have all been there. What I’ve taken out of my reading others reports and my own experience is that in this weird field of “wake surfing behind a jet boat” empirical evidence rules!

Basically, everything is purely empirical and nothing on the water is what it looks like on a drawing board... very frustrating.
Show me the money kind of a deal, lol.

Once in a blue moon someone hits a jack pot and makes something that just works.

That said, we know what the Wedge does and does not do. It smooths and shapes the wave and works best at a very shallow angle, something that came as a surprise to me - when I started using one.

The booster is a different concept, same as Scarab SurfStream. Fighting water with water. How well it will do - it remains to be seen.
There are other approaches to that same concept that may be more productive but none of it tested enough to tell. Yet.

As far as the TVWs - I have no idea. Personally I do not believe the nozzle deflectors would matter much as far as building a surfable wave. I just don’t see it. I will be convinced if I saw a with/without direct comparison which I have not seen. Show me the wave with and without the TVW, everything else the same. We know that @bobbie here can throw a bigger wake behind her 212x than everything we have seen with the TVWs - with a ton of ballast only.

The new TV related ladder- mounted deflector, on the other hand, does make sense as a surf enhancer, as to me it is basically the equivalent of the center piece of the Wedge, the part that in the Wedge folds to access the ladder. That part is essential for the Wedge to do what it does, we know it from experience.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you're going to "forget real world tests", then none of this matters. Buy whatever you want and figure it out once you get it. I don't mean that to be harsh, it's just the truth. No way to know what any of these products do for YOUR boat, without you (or someone else) actually using it.

Scott Gore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

I used the Wakebooster attachment last weekend for the first time and it made a noticeable difference. The wake was much cleaner and had a lot more push.
I tried the Mission Delta 1 two weeks earlier with little change on the wake.
I’d just wait for the Wakebooster if I were you. I think you’ll find it worth the wait.
I called Yamaha numerous times asking about my Wakebooster and it seemed to bump me up on the priority list.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I used the Wakebooster attachment last weekend for the first time and it made a noticeable difference. The wake was much cleaner and had a lot more push.
I tried the Mission Delta 1 two weeks earlier with little change on the wake.
I’d just wait for the Wakebooster if I were you. I think you’ll find it worth the wait.
I called Yamaha numerous times asking about my Wakebooster and it seemed to bump me up on the priority list.
So the most accepted reason delayed convergence devices like the Mission Delta don't work on jet boats is because the require you to over steer to correct the drag on the non-surf side which puts the jets pointing at the surf side defeating any affect they may have. What I'm wondering is if you have a wakebooster on the surf side, creating drag on the surf side, which requires you to over steer the other way... would the drag of the wakebooster cancel out the drag of the Mission Delta so that the jets wouldn't point at the surf side and allowing the delayed convergence of the Mission Delta to be affective. Basically what I'm asking is, if you still have the MD could you please give this a try and report back? :D I'm just really curious if in conjunction with the wakebooster the Mission Delta or any other delayed convergence system will actually be beneficial.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have done a fair amount of testing with my diy pipe device which is simlar to the yami booster but distinctly different. I can say without a doubt once it is deep enough in the water it adds amplitude, curl, lots of push, and cleans the wave but shortens the pocket with the induced oversteer (working to find the best ballance to extend the pocket currently). With 400 lbs on the back deck there is so much push combined with the H/L Landlocked board that I have to work to not run into the boat. I think more swim deck ballast would create even more push and a bigger wave which would be great if you want to pull a giant air and end up crashing into the swim deck. With my new board coming in tomorrow and a couple of days on the lake I hope to find the right balance this weekend. Perhaps it is more weight that is needed to lengthen the pocket and get an even bigger wave. I am also going to play with my tabs. Perhaps my device is just too aggressive in its profile.

From what I have seen with the wedge from videos and photos it creates an amplified and cleaner wave pocket without shortening it. The swim deck bag amplifies it all. As a system with the two they compliment each other very well.

From what I have seen with the TVW it cleans the wave some but it is more the well placed ballast amplifying it.

I dont think any current delayed convergence device is going to work at all based on what many have tried and what I have observed with my own testing. In order for the booster to work it has to be in the water. For a delayed convergance device to work on the opposite side with a booster it would also have to be in the water. I you somehow get both to happen simultaneously I don’t think the pocket will be very good. I am all for testing and eating crow just the same.

I said it months ago and I still believe that more options is great. Right now they are producing different results which tells me there may still be room to perfect each more. As of this writing I have yet to see anything improve on the wedge and custom swim deck bag combo. With what I am seeing I still believe it is possible but is going to take getting things just right.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I said it months ago and I still believe that more options is great. Right now they are producing different results which tells me there may still be room to perfect each more. As of this writing I have yet to see anything improve on the wedge and custom swim deck bag combo. With what I am seeing I still believe it is possible but is going to take getting things just right.
That’s exactly what I have been finding out with various contraptions I’ve tested.
The Scarab SurfStream knockoff I made was the most ugly but also the most interesting results. This is the same idea Yamaha Booster took, years later.

Of course I recycled the “beast” attachment to the trim tab BEFORE I could test it on the surf side!!! (Only tested it as a delayed convergence device on the nonsurf side, duh).
This could have been reveling...
Not sure I want to manufacture that again but that would be my best bet - a diverter with welded fins (like the “beast “) or a half pipe curved gutter like device appended to the tab to adjust level and angle of attack.
Plus ballast and the wedge - no doubt in my mind that can be achieved.
I have high end fluidics engineering guys here in our program, if I ever have some serious time this can be done with serious precision. Few of them are interested in surfing though, lol.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had scheduled vacation today and decided to get out on the water by myslef and do some testing of a bunch of different things. Dumb me forgot to charge the go pro though so only got a quick shot with my phone.

Stats on this shot are just me in the boat, 65% fuel, full 400 lbs bags under each bench seat, 800 lbs center locker, and my pipe device. Very near equal weight side to side given my heavy 165 lb total batteries and inverter on port and my 185 lb butt driving on starboard. No list! Worth repeating given the result ... NO LIST!

View attachment 95057
87DF2E15-A698-4828-B86F-AC9AC955CAE1.jpeg

I started with just the port bag full, then added the center bag, then added the starboard bag, and even tried the laying with my trim tabs. Above will all bags full and mu device was the best I got. You can seen the water from the top pipe shooting across and the small more evident steam is my quick cam handle deflecting some water. The big wide steam being cut off in the shot by the boat is the top pipe ouleting a huge amout of water and splashing clear on the other side of the wake. The bottom pipe is submerged and moving water beneath what you can see on top. When both pipes are fully in the water with a ballast bag on the back (did not do that today) the wave has more amplitude. To clarify both pipe are stacked on one device on one side and I am just referencing what I observed coming out of each.

Hopefully all of this helps folks tweak things. If you have a wedge or booster I think it is worth a try to bring the weight to center instead of listed to see how you like that. For me with no crew it gave the pocket a lot more width with 10 feet of breaking wave out to the side of the clean lip vs. a bit more clean lip length and a lot less breaking wave width.

Now to charge that go pro for the weekend and get some video of actual surfing with my new doomswell neo board. BTW that thing is a very snug fit in my rack.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had scheduled vacation today and decided to get out on the water by myslef and do some testing of a bunch of different things. Dumb me forgot to charge the go pro though so only got a quick shot with my phone.

Stats on this shot are just me in the boat, 65% fuel, full 400 lbs bags under each bench seat, 800 lbs center locker, and my pipe device. Very near equal weight side to side given my heavy 165 lb total batteries and inverter on port and my 185 lb butt driving on starboard. No list! Worth repeating given the result ... NO LIST!

View attachment 95057
View attachment 95065

I started with just the port bag full, then added the center bag, then added the starboard bag, and even tried the laying with my trim tabs. Above will all bags full and mu device was the best I got. You can seen the water from the top pipe shooting across and the small more evident steam is my quick cam handle deflecting some water. The big wide steam being cut off in the shot by the boat is the top pipe ouleting a huge amout of water and splashing clear on the other side of the wake. The bottom pipe is submerged and moving water beneath what you can see on top. When both pipes are fully in the water with a ballast bag on the back (did not do that today) the wave has more amplitude. To clarify both pipe are stacked on one device on one side and I am just referencing what I observed coming out of each.

Hopefully all of this helps folks tweak things. If you have a wedge or booster I think it is worth a try to bring the weight to center instead of listed to see how you like that. For me with no crew it gave the pocket a lot more width with 10 feet of breaking wave out to the side of the clean lip vs. a bit more clean lip length and a lot less breaking wave width.

Now to charge that go pro for the weekend and get some video of actual surfing with my new doomswell neo board. BTW that thing is a very snug fit in my rack.
That is outstanding.
I’m driving, need to focus. ! Glad you didn’t post movies I would be in trouble!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks promising @Mainah
Did you end up directing the pipe booster at the stream coming from the jet? Approximately how far is the output of the pipe booster from the jet stream?
Can't wait for your video.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Video will not be happening this weekend. My 15yo son decided to try and mow over the sewer clean out. Snapped the threaded collar and the cap fell in plugging up between the house and the street. Tried multiple things to force in out but it made it around a bend and many feet down the line before getting stuck. Currently taking a break from from digging a 10 foot long by three feet wide by 3 foot deep hole in 90 degree heat. Don’t think I will have any energy left for the rest of the weekend.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Video will not be happening this weekend. My 15yo son decided to try and mow over the sewer clean out. Snapped the threaded collar and the cap fell in plugging up between the house and the street. Tried multiple things to force in out but it made it around a bend and many feet down the line before getting stuck. Currently taking a break from from digging a 10 foot long by three feet wide by 3 foot deep hole in 90 degree heat. Don’t think I will have any energy left for the rest of the weekend.
Oh god. I share your pain, brother!

Wish I was there to help.
But, I also worked last night.
Had to unload the boat.
:cool:
1558798569639.png

--