• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakefoil discussion

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm considering getting a wake foil because they look so fun! It won't be for my Yamaha because I'm on shallow water most of the time and don't want to catch the foil. My dads boat is an 23'io cuddy cabin. Not the best for any wakesports, but i have fun in a costco 9' board surfing 15' back for safety. I think a foil will allow more safety and allow me to surf the smaller waves even a few wakes back. The water is typically 1'+ chop, so the foil will help there too.

There seems to be a large variation in price for the different foils. Has anybody ridden different brands?

Is it worth coming up with 2k for a foil? Are they as fun as they look? How steep is the learning curve? I'm pretty comfortable on nearly any board and could probably ride a 2x6.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@spatty99 owned a liquid force foil at one time

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Slingshot foils are awesome because of the interchangeability. Most of the other brands are more dedicated styles, like kiteboarding specific, boat, etc. The Slingshot is whatever you want, just need to get the different wings and swap them out... I only wish they had an e-foil attachment (and not $10k like the competition). :)

There is definitely a learning curve. The first learning curve is just getting up and riding around without using the wake (on a wakeboard length rope). Doing that is cool on its own. Then it's a whole new (I think steeper) learning curve to learn to surf a wake... still working on that.

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You wont regret the foil. Super smooth in the chop. I can surf my 242x wake with no ballast. There is a learning curve, but its not bad. I was up and ridding behind the boat on my second start. There were many wrecks after that learning how to carve, change elevation ect... Surfing is a little more challenging. You have to keep the foil right under the water, but not breach the surface on smaller wakes. Takes time but not unattainable.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How fast do you tow a wakefoil? Typical wakeboard speeds? I try to ride the skate around 18mph or so. Too fast for a foil?

Fluid Dynamics says more speed = more lift, however I'm sure at some point this becomes a safety issue.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How fast do you tow a wakefoil? Typical wakeboard speeds? I try to ride the skate around 18mph or so. Too fast for a foil?

Fluid Dynamics says more speed = more lift, however I'm sure at some point this becomes a safety issue.
With the Time Code 57cm wing (H5) when being towed the speed needed to maintain flight is probably in the 15mph ish range but is capable of higher top end speed (20mph maybe). Of course it's relative to the weight of the rider... I'm about 185-190 depending on burrito intake that day. The videos of the guy doing 180s I'd bet is doing closer to 18, probably on the same wing.

The Gamma 68cm wing is probably capable of maintaining flight closer to 12-13 when towing and probably surfable closer to 10mph on with the assistance of the wake. Every wing is going to have its limit of top speed drag.

It's a different dynamic all together than wakeboarding or wake skating, where your pressing on your back foot and putting constant pressure back against the rope. With foiling, it's a game of maintaining an even pressure on the board. A slight pressure back to lift and back to even to maintain. Leaning staight back to carve.

What's weird is, as soon as the board loses contact with the water there's an instant decrease in drag and the thing just runs free. So much so that the rope will often go slack for a moment. It really is a feeling of flying, and very surreal feeling.

I'm bias of course, but it really does become the sport you look forward to doing everytime you go out. It is spendy to get started in it, but I feel like I'm getting my money's worth from it. I intend to use it everytime I'm out. My last time I was in the water last season the wind was blowing and the water was pretty choppy, it didn't matter... I rode until my legs hurt and I gave up.

BigPapiBT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got a slingshot set up for my 195S. I'm super excited to get going. But what are you using to store it on board? A specialized rack? above the tower, to the side?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just got a slingshot set up for my 195S. I'm super excited to get going. But what are you using to store it on board? A specialized rack? above the tower, to the side?
I still haven’t figured that out. Mine ends up taking up most of the bow or rear seating when assembled. When it’s not assembled I just stick the board next to the drivers seat.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am glad our foil fits well in our racks. We have a 17 242X. Those things are huge. It seems to ride better with the rack turned in.

20210512_215014.jpg

20210512_214948.jpg

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like the guys on Wake Foil Half Life YouTube channel. They lay out some good tips on how to foil and what type of foils are best for you. I wound up with an Armstrong 1850 foil (after trying a few others) due to my size (215 Lbs). I wanted to ride very small waves but still have the ability to carve and have some fun with the foil. For me this was the best all around foil that fit what I wanted. I'm still getting used to the size of this new foil (its big!) but for me its the right size for what I want to do. You will find most foils are interchangeable within the same brand with the fuse and rear wings. So if you get a more "beginner" oriented foil you later on should be able to swap out the main foil with something a little more aggressive etc..

BigPapiBT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am glad our foil fits well in our racks. We have a 17 242X. Those things are huge. It seems to ride better with the rack turned in.

View attachment 149818

View attachment 149819
That's great! My rack looks like that. Silly question, but is it bad for the foil/board to have that pressure of it hanging at an angle? I have the Slingshot WT-2 and the connection seems ok but not sure if it should hang? I'm probably overthinking it per usual.

BigPapiBT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the guys on Wake Foil Half Life YouTube channel. They lay out some good tips on how to foil and what type of foils are best for you. I wound up with an Armstrong 1850 foil (after trying a few others) due to my size (215 Lbs). I wanted to ride very small waves but still have the ability to carve and have some fun with the foil. For me this was the best all around foil that fit what I wanted. I'm still getting used to the size of this new foil (its big!) but for me its the right size for what I want to do. You will find most foils are interchangeable within the same brand with the fuse and rear wings. So if you get a more "beginner" oriented foil you later on should be able to swap out the main foil with something a little more aggressive etc..
Nice! I kind of lucked out and bout a used Slingshot kit that has three masts, three wings, and two rear stabilizers so I can go from 67 to 99 in the front and 42 to 48 in the back and mast sizes between 18" and 36". Should have enough to ride. I'm 210-215 as well so I wanted a big front wing. Hoping to test it out Sunday!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

View attachment 149818

View attachment 149819
The main thing keeping me from buying that exact rack is that they have the surfboard slot on top and wakeboard on bottom so you can’t carry anything in the rack along with the foil. It would be great if they sold a version that was reversed.

BigPapiBT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The main thing keeping me from buying that exact rack is that they have the surfboard slot on top and wakeboard on bottom so you can’t carry anything in the rack along with the foil. It would be great if they sold a version that was reversed.
I have the double wake surf rack from Krypt. But I cheaped out and didn't get the one that swivels in. Also I only have the 195s so no a ton of room in the cabin.
Double wakesurf tower rack - Double wakesurf tower racks (krypt-towers.com)

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same rack and I put my foil in with the mast vertical. I put a extra bungee around the mast and keep it in place and a rag between the mast and the rack to keep them from chafing. It had worked fine so far.
20180819_140623.jpg

I've since started putting it in the rack the other direction which keeps the rope away from the mast and wings while wakeboarding.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

BigPapiBT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you keep a wakeboard in one spot or would it be too loose?

I only have two boards, the surf and a wakeboard so I’d like to get a single rack and be done.
I use pool noodles with my wakeskate to keep it in the surf setdion.

BigPapiBT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Total Newbie question.... My 2020 slingshot WT2 is convertible from wakesurf to wakefoil. It has a slot for two fins (not four). Can I just leave the fins in? Would it hurt my wake foil abilities/experience to have those outside fins in? They'd only make contact before lift off.

Attachments