• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf Board - opinions wanted

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So Overton's is running one of their 20% off over $200 deals and I happened across this https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Hyperlite-Landlock-Wakesurfer&i=351955. I plan on installing ballast soon and we want to surf but have never done it. From previous conversations I gathered that a larger board surface area will help with the meager washed out waves jet boats generate. Wondering if this is a good fit of a family of 5 to start wake boarding on. We have a petite 19 yo daughter (about 5'4" and 115 lbs), two teenage boys (5'9" and 140 lbs/ 6'2" and 160 lbs), myself at 5'10" and 178 lbs, and lastly my wife who is 5'10" and a bit heavier than me. We all ski, snowboard, and wakeboard so we have a fair amount of balance and feel for flow. Thoughts?

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is a good board to learn on. It is rather large and does not offer much maneuverability. That may be fine in the beginning. I have lots of ballast in my boat and has a sharp transition so the nose on this board was not the best and tended to dive. It really depends on the wave you end up with. That will depend on so many factors

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
That’s the board our family learned how to surf on behind our Yami. The large surface area makes it much easier and more forgiving but at the cost of some nimbleness. I would highly recommend it for you situation.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are in the same boat (well except I alone weight about as much as your entire family but that aside) - bigger is better for learning and definitely seems easier with a meager wake (comparatively speaking) that yams can produce.
We experimented with our friends collection last year behind a Nautique, I kid you not they have some 10 surf boards and claim they all different... Which they are, actually. That was interesting.

This board you are looking at seems like a safe bet! But if you have any doubts and need more feedback, I would also post in the Shelbyville thread - that's all these guys do. Or just flag some St.Lunatics, like @jcyamaharider . @007

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is a good beginner board and good all around board for smaller wakes. Once you get better and get a bigger wake it will be like a Cadillac on the water that you just cruise on, then you will want a sports car..... Phase 5, Inland Surfer, Soulcraft....ETC.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with everyone, I started with a Fish because I wanted to make sure everybody could get up and ride (even with the rope), I quickly came to realize it's much easier than I anticipated and wish we would have bought at least an intermediate board,

I was going to recommend that to you but you also have to take into account your guests that may not have the same natural ability and this may be one of those areas that you have to have a "beginner's board" and one for your family.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's a good board to start with. I should have bought one instead of the Fish at a trade off for speed and nimbleness. That being said I have rode on @Bill D 's CWB boards and those give me a lot more ability to find the pocket and stay there compared to mine. My board feels faster but doesn't have as much surface area to allow me to go ropeless. Each board will ride differently but you're safe for starting out with a Landlock.

Most important of all...HAVE FUN!

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Man that’s awesome vid with about the best drone footage I’ve seen!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good times for sure! Glad you liked it. Aerial footage all from @blacksapphirez and his drone :thumbsup:

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It's a good board to start with. I should have bought one instead of the Fish at a trade off for speed and nimbleness. That being said I have rode on @Bill D 's CWB boards and those give me a lot more ability to find the pocket and stay there compared to mine. My board feels faster but doesn't have as much surface area to allow me to go ropeless. Each board will ride differently but you're safe for starting out with a Landlock.

Most important of all...HAVE FUN!

Is the ballet you have that I see on the swim platform? Will give me hope of surfing this summer!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Get a happy pill. It's affordable, durable, super light weight and you won't outgrow it like all the other beginner boards.