• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf board, thinking of upgrading, currently have inland surfer red rock looking for suggestions

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys

I have a inland surfer red rocket, we have the wake wedge and plenty of ballast, still struggling to go ropeless. Several guys 200 to 300 lbs have been trying.

I contacted wakemakers, told them what I have and what we want to accomplish, they recomended 3 boards, I listed them below.

Any suggestions or ideas appreciated as always.

Email reply below

Hi Dan,

Thanks for contacting us here at WakeMAKERS! Sounds like you might want a board with a wider belly, or just some more surface area to help stay in that wave. Here's a few I'd consider taking a look at:

2017 Ronix Koal Technora Powertail Wakesurf Board
https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-koal-power-tail-wakesurf-board.html

2017 Ronix Koal Classic Longboard Wakesurf Board
https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-koal-longboard-wakesurf-board.html

2017 CWB Voodoo Wakesurf Board
https://www.wakemakers.com/cwb-voodoo-wakesurf-board.html

Last edited:

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a land lock and I can go ropeless, but I am still not very good. The only issue is it is such a big board you really have a hard time moving around. I am going to follow, I have a CWB buzz and the land lock. I cannot even think about ropeless with the buzz

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dan144k you might get more opinions if you include the actual web links instead of a picture. Something we can click on that takes us to the boards in question.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @dan144k for fixing the links. I'm no surf pro and can only really provide an uninformed opinion so keep that in mind. The cheapskate in me would go for the 5' 1" Voodoo board but the surfer in me would choose the 5' 4" Long Board and the techie in me would choose the 4' 11" Technora for its cutting edge design (I don't know how you make a choice). Maybe that is why I have four wakesurf boards! It looks like they will all do what you need them to do - float a bigger guy. If there was some way to determine which board was actually the most buoyant I would probably go that route.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scuba_ref
Thanks for the input. Don't know which direction to go.

Also not limiting myself to these 3 boards, open to suggestions.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Interesting to hear you can't get ropeless on the IS Red Rocket. Those have good reviews for heavier guys. Another good one from them is the Red Woody and it has a ton of surface area!

I recently rode on @Bill D CWB Bentley and was surprised at how much buoyancy that hybrid style board had! You have to literally push against the board pretty hard in order to get it to flip for deep water starts. I'm 230 lbs so I'm a bigger guy too and I could get slack in the rope on Bill's boat with 2,000 lbs and a wake wedge. I think I maybe could have gone ropeless at some point for a few seconds but I think I still need a larger surface area board. My Liquid Force Fish 5'6" isn't enough for me and will pearl if I put too much weight forward. Bill had no issue going ropeless on his CWB but he's also much lighter than me lol.

Last edited:

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Try reading up on what boards have the most volume the happy pills have a lot of volume for their size the real thick where you don't have to ride a board so big so you can still move it around on it . I am a Avid surfer the volume can tell you a lot about how the board is going to float you looks alone can be deceiving about a board my first board was at land lock I went ropeless behind my FSH with no added weight but that board didn't feel like you could do a whole lot with it . I don't know why they don't make some of the boards just a little bit thicker and that would give you a little bit more float where I live the waves don't have a lot of push so we ride are longboards and shortboards a little bit thicker and a little bit wider 4 extra float I just got a 4' 5 happy pill I'll let you know how it floats compared to my Hyperlite broadcast broadcast that's 5'4 go on liquid forces website each board shows the volume for every size

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
An update. I finally got ropeless on my 5'2" buzz today. all it took was another 400 LBS on the swim deck. So that puts me at 2475 LBS of ballast. I would still like a board that floats a little easier and I can move around.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remember that it is technique mostly that gets you ropeless. Board style helps but practise and wave are key. Cam.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The lighter weight people who try to surf with me struggle to get the board flipped down and to get started.

I have also considered getting a smaller board for women and children.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With a surf style buoyant board the starting technique is a bit different. At the last second you have to push the board edge hard into the water, otherwise it skips over the surface and you have to try again. Skim style boards are much easier to start on. We use the skim style to teach with. Cam

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been riding 4 fins since I got it and I love how locked in it feels. Was considering removing the small fins and going with 2 long to see how that goes. Will try this weekend.

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our boards have 5 fin pockets which gives 7 different fin possibilities. We only noticed slight differences between them all. 2 large fins works well. Cam.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine only has 4 fin pockets, what do you think removing the small rear ones will do?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love the inland surfer squirt !!! And the inland surfer taco is a good (boat board ) for people to learn on , eazy to go ropeless on !

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will make it feel looser and shorten the turning radius since the board will pivot more in the middle
Cam

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update. I rented a CWB VooDoo this weekend and purchased a new one today. I am running an AR210 with 2400Lbs of ballast and I weigh around 210Lbs.
This board floats really high is very responsive and if FAST. I can very easily go ropeless and the nose digs in much less than my Buzz an is much faster than the buzz.

I have a LandLocked for sale now. :)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi guys

I have a inland surfer red rocket, we have the wake wedge and plenty of ballast, still struggling to go ropeless. Several guys 200 to 300 lbs have been trying.
Dan, Do you still have the Red Rocket? Getting along any better with it? I'm really looking hard at getting one, and fall into the 300lb category. Tks!