• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf Boards 2017 - How to Build Your Own

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got around to starting the new production of boards. Here is a pic of the shaping room. We are building 1 6' ocean board and 2 lake boards, one 5' and one 4'-6". Now that we know what we are doing it is much faster. The ocean board took about 2 hours to shape from a blank to be ready for sealing. Hopefully will get to glassing them this weekend if it is not too hot. Cam.
Shaping Room 2017_s.jpg

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Keep up these posts, very interesting to read and see how boards are built!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got around to shaping mine. Took about 45 min to shape from wire cut blank to rough blank. Trying to cut between the lines. On the rough blanks you can see the wire cutter marks.

The last pic is the completed rough blank. The best shaping tool I have found is a 40 grit belt sander belt cut and glued to a stick. Cam.

2017 C WS Rough Shaping 01.jpg 2017 C WS Rough Shaping 03.jpg 2017 C WS Rough Shaping 04.jpg 2017 C WS Rough Shaping 07.jpg

Completed rough blank ready to be contoured.
2017 C WS Rough Shaping 08.jpg

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got some board time in. Too many holidays to get anything done. Hope to start glassing next week. Heres some pics of the progression. Cam.

Wire cutting the rails
Wire Cutting Rails_s.jpg
Marking the Outline
Marking Outline_s.jpg

Rough Cut Foam
rough cut foam_s.jpg

Marking the rails.
marking rails_s.jpg
Shaping the rails
Shaping the rails_s.jpg
Shaped vs Unshaped
shaped vs unshaped_s.jpg
Final Shaping
final shaping_s.jpg
Graphics Layout
graphics layout_s.jpg
Painting in Progress
paint in progress_s.jpg

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of the secrets the surfboarders DONT tell you is how hard it is to cut fin boxes when the bottom has some wicked concaves. The ocean short-board we are building has a single to double concave transition with 5 fins. We had to measure the box depth with a micrometer since the cutter jig doesn't sit flat and none of the bottom is flat. With a custom contoured fin insert we will sacrifice a degree of fin angle for a nice bottom contour. Worked out very well. My Son is anxious to get it finished as he heads off to engineering school in a month and will need it to surf there. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's the final blank ready for air brushing then glassing. Cam
ready for airbrushing1 _s.jpg
readyfor airbrush2_s.jpg

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Have to say it again, I love these step by steps posts! Keep it coming!

If you don't mind... Can you outline rough costs involved with doing this sort of thing? How much do the tools cost to buy/make? With just the materials (foam, paint, fins/fin boxes, glass, epoxy) how much does a board cost outside the labor? How much time does it take from start to finish to do a board?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Were at about $210 each for these. We are more efficient building these so maybe 25 hours. Beats watching tv. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a hotwire cutter and a belt sander belt on a stick. Hotwire cutter i built free from scraps although a spool of wire cost $5 on ebay. Obviously a tape measure. I get to cheat and use fullsize autocad models but not necessary. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Next ones we are going use 4in thick foam. The glue joint is a pain and can add 6 hours to construction. My closest supplier for the good foam is 3hrs away and i have to buy 10 boards worth. Should have done it for these. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the completed air brush work. The graphics will be printed on rice paper and put under the first layer of epoxy glass. Cam
2017 C airbrushing final.jpg

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also epoxied in the fin boxes. The green color really stands out under the epoxy coating. Hopefully it will still be bright under a number of layers of epoxy-glass. Unfortunately I got some forest fire ash in the sticky epoxy. We have hundreds of fires burning around us and you can't see the sun. Permanent night almost. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Picked up 12 yards of 6oz S-glass today. Cut it half it will yield 72' of cloth, 5 layers for each board - 3 tops and 2 bottom. The forest fire ash is putting a minor delay in the epoxy schedule. It's like snow falling and it comes in the air intake and contaminates the epoxy. Tonight I will try to build a filtered air intake. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Epoxy is on, both sides. I post pics when its dry and trimmed. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First pic is hot coat. Second pic is hot coat sanded to 150gr. Pain only having a single glassing bay as the other boards are in production and now I have to wait to do the final gloss coat. The gloss coat gets wet sanded to 2000gr. Cam
2017 CKC hot coat.jpg
2017 ckc sanded hot coat.jpg

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bottom gloss coat on. Things are happening fast. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Final wet sanding today maybe to 2000gr. It looks really good. I will let it cure for the week and then friday will be the testing day. Cam

Wax on daniel san. Sanding schedule is 60,150,220,320,400 wet, 1500 wet, 2000 wet. The bottom stays at 320 as the roughness makes it faster. Breaks the water tension.

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the final product, board #1 of 2017. Two more boards to finish this week. Enjoy. Cam.

final board 1s.jpg final board 2s.jpg final board 3s.jpg final board 4s.jpg final board 5s.jpg