• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf Boards - How to Build Your Own

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My son and I decided to build some wakesurf boards. Its not too difficult to build but the design takes some research. Essentially some performance boards without the $800 CAD price tag. We started planning on using a friends 3D shaper. As an Engineer this really appeals to me but then the machine was apart while he moved houses and never got reassembled. Probably for the best as the 3D board shaping software I demod wasn't as good as I had hoped. So back to the old way. We should be shaping next weekend. The designs are finalized, all the parts have arrived, EPS foam is rough cut, and the hot-wire cutters work great. I will post some pics as we progress. This is just a teaser. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
oops Admin can you move this to the watersports thread. Thanks. Cam.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You bet I'll be following. I considered it myself because none of the boards I could find had enough flip up on the nose. (I don't know the correct term) Seems the wake from a Yamaha needs a board that is less likely to stick into the wave and go under.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking forward to seeing your results. Just this weekend I was thinking about attempting to make a wooden model. I am a woodworker but need to do some more research first.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys - you maybe up to something really cool! I never thought of it, but it seems to make perfect sense Yamaha wake would benefit from a special board design.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My board does have an extra flip in the tip so it doesn't submarine (called "pearling" in surf lingo). Our plan is to use a few custom precision hot wire cutters (DIY for free) to cut the foam to almost exact size. This will reduce the amount of carving. Plus I get to steal (read reverse engineer) all the cool features from high performance boards and put them all into one dandy. Game plan is 1.5 lb/cuft EPS foam with resin research epoxy and a few layers of 6oz S-glass top and bottom, quad FCS fins. I got a bunch of different sized fins we that we can tune them. I am lucky in that I have a large computer plotter so all the templates I am working with are CAD generated at full size, then transferred to an MDF cut pattern. The patterns then allow us to cut out a precision blank with minimal carving. Cam.

ps 96Pirate. I was thinking of building a wooden one as well, but then discovered that for the same work and cost you can build a real one.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My board does have an extra flip in the tip so it doesn't submarine (called "pearling" in surf lingo). Our plan is to use a few custom precision hot wire cutters (DIY for free) to cut the foam to almost exact size. This will reduce the amount of carving. Plus I get to steal (read reverse engineer) all the cool features from high performance boards and put them all into one dandy. Game plan is 1.5 lb/cuft EPS foam with resin research epoxy and a few layers of 6oz S-glass top and bottom, quad FCS fins. I got a bunch of different sized fins we that we can tune them. I am lucky in that I have a large computer plotter so all the templates I am working with are CAD generated at full size, then transferred to an MDF cut pattern. The patterns then allow us to cut out a precision blank with minimal carving. Cam.

ps 96Pirate. I was thinking of building a wooden one as well, but then discovered that for the same work and cost you can build a real one.
Except that wood would look awesome!

Love it!
There is far more pride in creating something than modding a manufactured one.
At least your dreams are more realistic than mine!
My worst curse is the drafting classes i took in high school added to my over active/creative add mind.
Pictures!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's Awesome! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will post some pic as soon as we start carving, which should be saturday. Waiting for one more shipment of fins and fin boxes and designing a router template to install the fin boxes. My board it going to be 5'. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Outline Templates.JPG Rocker templates 2086.JPG Shaping Table 2079.JPG Had a productive day today. Cut out the templates, built a shaping table, and fixed the rocker templates to the foam. Will cut the blank tomorrow. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is what mine will look like. Cam.
Cam board color layout.jpg

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are a few different suppliers online. I may try patterned rubber first as I have a roll of the stuff they use for Tige swim platforms. Cam

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far got the blanks cut with the hot wire cutter and started the shaping. Only flaw so far it how poorly the hot wire cutter cuts the glue line. It is only foam so can be repaired easily. Cam.

BLANK BASE SANDED.jpg

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fragile with a capital F!! Like sanding grandmas Christmas ornaments. Cam.

dustinjean

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
ill keep an eye on this, i kept debating on making my own but ordered a doomswell yesterday but still interested in this build as ive done plenty of fiberglass work the last few years so I might build my daughter a small board over winter

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My son and I decided to build some wakesurf boards. Its not too difficult to build but the design takes some research. Essentially some performance boards without the $800 CAD price tag. We started planning on using a friends 3D shaper. As an Engineer this really appeals to me but then the machine was apart while he moved houses and never got reassembled. Probably for the best as the 3D board shaping software I demod wasn't as good as I had hoped. So back to the old way. We should be shaping next weekend. The designs are finalized, all the parts have arrived, EPS foam is rough cut, and the hot-wire cutters work great. I will post some pics as we progress. This is just a teaser. Cam.
What is your estimate of materials, not to mention your time? $800 CAD + may be sounding better :)

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not really doing this to save money as I figure we will be about $200 to $250 a board. Not too worried about the time either as I work non-stop on projects anyway. This one is fun with a creative aspect. The real value is working alongside my son and teaching him the engineering aspects of board design plus the shaping and laminating skills. Besides we are getting crappy boating weather right now and the ballast system is about as tweaked as it can get. Cam.

Ps a Ronix Koal is $900 CAD + tax.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Making progress. Hulls are shaped and filled. Fin box jig worked perfectly and plan to do the graphics this weekend. May be able to glass them as well. Here is a mock up with the fins. We had planned to use 9deg fin boxes on the front and 5deg on the back but the 5deg box order is lost somewhere in shipping. May try to install a tilted 9deg. Cam.BOARD FINS 2 SM.jpg

bOARD FINS 1 SM.jpg