• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf wake question

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So it seems you need to list our boats to the surf side to get a decent wake. In my 2013 212x, what if I added a couple of valves and filled the port side bag only? Would the port side wake be better or worse than having both bags filled, with everything else being equal...?

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you using just your stock bag? It would help but my guess is not enough... I have a 15 212X with an 1100 pound bag under my port seat. I replaced bags on both sides

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't think there's enough stock ballast on a Yamaha to get a decent surf wave. With a twin engine you're gonna need at least 1,500 lbs or more plus the Gantlin surf wedge. Most of the guys surfing on these boats have much more ballast. Yes for our boats you need a bit of list to help. Our hulls aren't really designed for equal weight distribution IMO. I have found that a 60/40 split (favoring surf side) seems to be a nice sweet spot for my single engine boat.

This is about 2,000 lbs on a 242 with about 400 lbs of humans on board. You can see how @Bill D placed his bags to give you an idea https://jetboaters.net/threads/thick-fat-lip-on-a-242-limited-s.14081/

I just saw you're in Helena. I live in the Maylene/Alabaster area. Howdy neighbor! :D

Last edited:

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Agreed much more... like I said above I have 1100 pounds under port seat 400 under starboard 750 in ski locker and another 750 on swim deck. I am not a small guy at 230 nor am I a professional but that’s what it took for me to go ropeless... with more practice and ride time I may be able to lower some weight but that’s what I ended at last summer and was the only time I could feel enough push to drop the rope and ride

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey @haknslash! Nice to meet another jet boat close by. I sure haven't seen many around. Where do you guys boat? I've got a place on Lay Lake.

Last edited:

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips guys. I really was just asking in general terms. I only got behind the boat once or twice last year as I bought it late in the season, but I'm well aware I'll need more ballast. The 60/40 split makes sense for sure. I've got a wake wedge on the way and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for ballast. @nate kennedy did you replace your bags and keep the stock plumb/fill system or you changed that out too? Did you move your battery(s)? I'd really like to maximize the under seat ballast first, for sure.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Scottie I changed all the lines from the pump to the bags to 1” hose... I know the inlet is still 3/4 from the factory but that was my first step... I used all fly high bags with 1” hose to the quick connect fitting. Now that I have my ballast mostly dialed in I will be adding more pumps and intakes all 1” to help with flow. I did move my batteries to a different location still under the port seat. I moved them to the wall of the seat towards the cockpit... that way it was a strait line behind them from the stern to the front of the seat. The 1100 pound bag takes all the space up on that’s side. The 400 pound bag I think fits better than the stock bags... plus I had nothing but trouble with those waterbed fittings. Most of last summer I ran with the 1100 and 400 bags full and some in the ski locker depending on people ballast... I could not drop the rope or feel any push until I put the bag on the swim deck that made all the difference in the world for me

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice. I have 4 optimas under that seat, but I bet I could line them up on that inside wall. I don't know if I could fit an 1100 in there or not, but that would be nice. So you don't have trouble filling with the stock pump right now? Does it take forever?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey @haknslash! Nice to meet another jet boat close by. I sure haven't seen many around. Where do you guys boat? I've got a place on Lay Lake.
i usually go to Lake Mitchell as I grew up boating there and had a cabin there as a kid. Other times I go to Lake Tuscaloosa to hang with other Alabama jet boaters. There is an Alabama jetboaters group on facebook. Surprised @blacksapphirez has not found you yet :D

I was at Lay today demoing a surf boat. Man it was crowded as they had a fishing tournament at Beeswax so we had to go down the Paradise Point Marina and it was still crowded. I'm scared of that lake with all the stickups as I'm not familiar with it :D.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-gravity-games-center-sac.html

This is the bag I went with for the 1100 pound bag... yes it definitely takes what feels like forever to fill them all. That’s why I am adding more pumps. I wasn’t ready to commit to the money and install time of the pumps wiring fittings until I was satisfied with the bag placement. That’s why I ran 1” from the factor pump to the bags so that was done already. I did use manual ball valves to divert the water to the specific bag I wanted it to go to. I fill th swim platform bag with an over the side tsunami pump.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have 2 batteries. You may be able to extend the wiring of a few and put in the port storage locker I know some people have moved their battery or batteries to that location.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What do you do when you want to wakeboard or otherwise? Do you just partially fill the port side bag, via the ball valves?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i usually go to Lake Mitchell as I grew up boating there and had a cabin there as a kid. Other times I go to Lake Tuscaloosa to hang with other Alabama jet boaters. There is an Alabama jetboaters group on facebook. Surprised @blacksapphirez has not found you yet :D

I was at Lay today demoing a surf boat. Man it was crowded as they had a fishing tournament at Beeswax so we had to go down the Paradise Point Marina and it was still crowded. I'm scared of that lake with all the stickups as I'm not familiar with it :D.
I'll check out the Facebook group for sure, thanks for that. I grew up on Lay, so I'm very familiar with it, but it can definitely be treacherous if you don't know where you're going. That's actually one of the main reasons I wanted a jet boat. There's plenty of inboard wakeboats on Lay Lake, but that's asking for trouble really.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What do you do when you want to wakeboard or otherwise? Do you just partially fill the port side bag, via the ball valves?
Yes I just kind of time it the same for fill times to get it close to 400 each... not an exact science but has worked so far. Most of our time is spent surfing wakeboarding is pretty minimal for us now.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How do you secure the bag to the swim deck? Upper or lower deck?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We use dock lines and just tie them off to the tower or wherever needed.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I used dock lines most of last year to but at the end got a pair of ratchet straps... I loop around the bag and have the ratchet end hooked up the the tower now. I felt that way I could secure it better and fill it fuller. I have seen many many ways of securing them on different boards here. Find a way that works for you and run with it!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A slight list..... :D:D:D:D:D