• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wanting to add a second battery but have no idea how - any step by step tutorials?

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been wanting to add a second battery to my 2020 AR190 but I am a little nervous about doing it myself and I don't know of any boat shops close to me to assist. I've been reading a lot of threads but its mostly just pictures of the setup already installed and I can't tell which wire are supposed to connect where. Being that I have NO IDEA what I would be doing, is there any sort of step by step tutorial on how to do it? I'm pretty handy and can follow instructions so I'm hoping someone can help. I don't have any audio mods nor do I plan to add anything crazy. Just want a second back up battery in case the primary one takes a dump. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I would be interested in this as well. I could probably figure it out but I am getting lazy in my old age! Maybe @Hoyt could share his set up. He documents things pretty well.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did this install a number of years ago and followed another post and the instructions with the Blue Seas add-a-battery kit. Wasn't that hard after walking it thru.
Not sure if you have seen these posts, but one is my install (and the parts I needed/used) and the other has the wiring diagrams and discussion I followed.

Above that let us know if you have more questions, I'm sure the collective brain trust here can help you thru it!

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It can be super simple. Buy a 2 battery switch, battery, and battery cable. You already have a battery switch, a 2 battery switch just has an extra post to connect the second battery. Wire the existing battery to the battery 1 post, second battery to the battery 2 post and your existing outputs to the output post and your done. You can alternate the batteries on outings or get a shore charger which is what I did. The blue seas add a battery is nice and I was going that route until an electrical engineer friend pointed out it was a possible dual failure to charge. So I kept it simple and hopefully safe. Quality Copper Battery Cables Made in the USA! - BatteryCablesUSA has excellent made in the USA custom cables. My two videos I did on it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bleudyno Go with the Blue Seas Add A Battery Kit and Get it with the ACR. This will alternate charge between the batteries depending on state. This way you don't need to screw with switching between them to charge which is annoying.

If you watch the video's linked and decide you are going to go a step further with a buss bar, please don't leave the exposed, get covers for them.

But to keep it simple, I recommend this. Members here or I can get you through it. There are plenty of posts on here as well. This is the one that I have and just installed over a month ago.

BLUE SEA SYSTEMS "Add-A-Battery" Dual Circuit System | West Marine

Fyi, the install that @RightStuff did in his pic's and other thread mentioned above is pretty simple, straight forward and clean. Excellent example to follow.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If your just looking to add a second battery for insurance then it's simple. Just wire it in parallel to the existing battery. Done. So positive to positive and negative to negative. No need for battery switches, or anything else. You'll be draining both batteries equally. So basically same voltage, but longer life

TJP027

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have been looking into this as well. Just got a 2016 212x.

Been looking at the BEP switch or the Blue Seas

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did this install a number of years ago and followed another post and the instructions with the Blue Seas add-a-battery kit. Wasn't that hard after walking it thru.
Not sure if you have seen these posts, but one is my install (and the parts I needed/used) and the other has the wiring diagrams and discussion I followed.

Above that let us know if you have more questions, I'm sure the collective brain trust here can help you thru it!
Resurrecting thread a year later :)
So ... RightStuff ... I took a look at your install and the circuit diagrams. It seems you decided to connect the ACR to the load side of the switch (to avoid current draw) , and in contrast to the official Blue Seas recommendation.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Did you have any issues with this setup?

Thanks
Gonza

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Resurrecting thread a year later :)
So ... RightStuff ... I took a look at your install and the circuit diagrams. It seems you decided to connect the ACR to the load side of the switch (to avoid current draw) , and in contrast to the official Blue Seas recommendation.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Did you have any issues with this setup?

Thanks
Gonza
Not a single issue or a change to anything from when I installed that setup. Crazy that it's been 7 years!

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Since this is the lastest thread on this topic, asking here. If you switch to combined, should the LED status be Solid ON? Mine stays in Single Flash for Isolated/Standby and wanted to confirm that is correct.

Attachments

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Since this is the lastest thread on this topic, asking here. If you switch to combined, should the LED status be Solid ON? Mine stays in Single Flash for Isolated/Standby and wanted to confirm that is correct.
The Parallel switch is seperate from the DVSR so the light should not be lit unless its charging, even if the switch is in parallel position.

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thank you for the confirmation. Will be testing the charging this weekend !

ellj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bleudyno Go with the Blue Seas Add A Battery Kit and Get it with the ACR. This will alternate charge between the batteries depending on state. This way you don't need to screw with switching between them to charge which is annoying.

If you watch the video's linked and decide you are going to go a step further with a buss bar, please don't leave the exposed, get covers for them.

But to keep it simple, I recommend this. Members here or I can get you through it. There are plenty of posts on here as well. This is the one that I have and just installed over a month ago.

BLUE SEA SYSTEMS "Add-A-Battery" Dual Circuit System | West Marine

Fyi, the install that @RightStuff did in his pic's and other thread mentioned above is pretty simple, straight forward and clean. Excellent example to follow.
This is the way

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The easiest way would be to add the sencond battery to your existing battery since your battery is already powering the whole boat you will have more capacity while atill ataying at 12 v .
Just buy buy a second battery and pos and neg cables, connect the + to the + and negative to negative, do e. Now the harder way will be to install a dual switch so you can shut one battery and use the other as other have suggested.

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The easiest way would be to add the sencond battery to your existing battery since your battery is already powering the whole boat you will have more capacity while atill ataying at 12 v .
Just buy buy a second battery and pos and neg cables, connect the + to the + and negative to negative, do e. Now the harder way will be to install a dual switch so you can shut one battery and use the other as other have suggested.
Downside of the "easiest way" is that both of your batteries would be draining equally when anchored and listening to music. In theory, you could drain the starter battery too much using this method. The point of the switch is to isolate the "house" battery to power only the helm and stereo while the "starter" battery is delegated to exclusively starting the engines. This way the starter battery is never depleted past the point of being able to crank the engine. The ACR is essentially a smart device that connects the batteries only when the engines are running so both battery banks will charge when underway.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Downside of the "easiest way" is that both of your batteries would be draining equally when anchored and listening to music. In theory, you could drain the starter battery too much using this method. The point of the switch is to isolate the "house" battery to power only the helm and stereo while the "starter" battery is delegated to exclusively starting the engines. This way the starter battery is never depleted past the point of being able to crank the engine. The ACR is essentially a smart device that connects the batteries only when the engines are running so both battery banks will charge when underway.
Yes to all that but better than havin just one battery, anyway i have 4 battery on a massive stereo system, he probably dont and probably can get away with doubling the capacity, unless one battery is bad you wont run down the battery listening to music all day with the stock radio.lots of ways to skin a cat this would be the easiest, wantted complicated theres other ways. Or just pay someone to do it for you.
Now just so you know on the 2021 252 se everything is connected to the connex, GUESS what? You want to jam at the sandbar all switxhes must be on which means all batteries drain. I isolated the Connex with a wet sound head unit now i can turn off the boat and isolate the start batt like on my old 2019 242.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You want to jam at the sandbar all switxhes must be on which means all batteries drain.
Wow that has to be the dumbest thing every.... Why would they do that?