• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warm water from Bilge.....on the water need some help.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For starters, to get some visibility quickly.....@HELP

Now, we're on the water and have an issue. Just launched about 30min ago. Did a 20min cruise and stopped to swim. Bilge immediately kicked on and started pumping hot water. Immediately open engine compartment, and don't see any major leaks. There is a section of fiberglass that has a ton of water droplets like It's been sprayed. It's also just forward of the manifold and under the oil filter.

What can I check before I fire the engine back up? Obvious check for water in the oil. Anything else?

I assume I don't need a tow back into the ramp at this point. How can I be sure it's OK to drive until I can figure out what it is.

We'll be anchored for a few hours and since it's not actively leaking I think we're OK to hang out for the time being.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
After the engine cooled down I start at the hose coming in to the oil filter and work my way back through the clamps and hoses that go around and back of the engine. Here's a drawing if you need. The water may be hot from impacting the manifold. Wouldn't start her up until I checked hoses and clamps, they tend to rust and/or leak. Good luck!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a pic of the engine bay.

Water on right hand side below exhaust manifold/oil cooler.

IMG_20190728_134222.jpg

Just checked the oil. Aside from being hot as dammit, it looks fresh and no signs of water intrusion.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You likely have a broken hose clamp under the cleanout tray. I would take the time to open that up and investegate before trying to head home.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Start the engine with the hatch open and look for any water spraying

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You likely have a broken hose clamp under the cleanout tray. I would take the time to open that up and investegate before trying to head home.
You mean the screwed down piece under the hatch that accesses the cleanout plugs?

I have a screwdriver with me, as well as pliers, but don't have another clamp. Might have some zip-ties.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After the engine cooled down I start at the hose coming in to the oil filter and work my way back through the clamps and hoses that go around and back of the engine. Here's a drawing if you need. The water may be hot from impacting the manifold. Wouldn't start her up until I checked hoses and clamps, they tend to rust and/or leak. Good luck!
Best I can see with it hot, they're all present and accounted for. Will give it an hour or two to cool off and will feel around.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Overall update.

Have a friend here with another boat, and have ropes on board to get a tow back in. Would prefer to not do that, but will if I need to.

Going to go float in the water and drink a frost beverage to calm my nerves. Will check back shortly.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
don't you have a manhole access cover near the cleanout plugs? if you do, unscrew that to see your water boxes/exhaust hoses,

when your ready to test again, keep the engine open and idle around the cove with the hatch open and then just bump the throttles to see if you see any water, otherwise I would drive back to the ramp with the engine hatch open to monitor the water level, as long as it wasn't massively flooding I'd think you'd be ok to get back to the ramp,
especially if your other passengers could ride on your friends boat,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You mean the screwed down piece under the hatch that accesses the cleanout plugs?

I have a screwdriver with me, as well as pliers, but don't have another clamp. Might have some zip-ties.
you don't have to take all the small screws out, it should be two circular covers about 4-6 inches that unscrew,

look at this parts schematic

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Could have been water from rain running into the Back and engine compartment. Warm from sitting in boat, after it came off plane it collected in bilge by pump and got pumped out. Needs 2” to switch on some pumps. Or wire connection just made contact if it was corroded.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well...... we're home.

Pulled the manhole things out of the cleanout tray and felt around. Nothing obviously broken or missing. All the hose clamps attached to the exhaust are in tact and appear to be tight.

We idled around the cove a bit and couldn't see water coming in anywhere. Had a friend holding the switch while I looked in the manholes while under way. No water coming in that we could see.

Took a quick ride outside the no wake zone and got up to about 30mph and 6500 rpm. No problems once off plane or while continuing to idle around cove.

Ran it at WOT back to the ramp. Again no problems when coming off plane.

Boat was reasonably "dry' when I pulled the plugs on the ramp maybe 1/2gal of water out of either plug.

Did find this in the Bilge. Never seen it before in there, doesn't mean it's new just that I haven't seen it before. Anyone know what it is?

IMG_20190728_184318.jpg

IMG_20190728_184321.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spent some time in the garage tonight. I can't find a missing or loose clamp anywhere. I checked every clamp I could reach from the pump to the pee hole and couldn't find anything that looks or feels awry.

Any chance it only leaks at WOT where pressure is highest in the system? If so how could I check that?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you store it outside,
Could rain have entered and then been warmed by exhaust ?
Did you have bilge on when you unloaded from trailer?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the boat out again yesterday. Same symptoms. Run around for 15-20min between 6k and 7.5k rpm. When I finally stop, I get SIGNIFICANT water from the bilge.

This time it wasn't HOT though, just like warm. Makes me think it's trapped water at some level and just getting warm from sitting.

Boat lives in the garage, so it's not rain water in there. I'm going to try and get the front lifted as high as I can after the next outing and see where that lands me. Driveway is pretty steep and we always let it sit for awhile nose up after each outing.

I'm a touch OCD about keeping water out of the boat in general. This one is bugging me.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely need to figure it out
Maybe let it just float to see if you get any water, that would lead you to hull fitting

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We flo
Definitely need to figure it out
Maybe let it just float to see if you get any water, that would lead you to hull fitting
We floated for about 2hrs yesterday between watersports and more cruising. No consistent bilge pump activity over that time.

I suspect one of the cooling water fittings is leaking under high RPM generated water pressure. Gonna have to tape a GoPro and light under the engine hatch and go for a drive.

Had the hatch open at WOT yesterday. Boy is it loud....like WOW....anyway, no visible streams of water from engine that I could see. Didn't spend a ton of time in there though as putting my head next to an engine at 7,500rpm didn't feel overly safe.