• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water entering through clean out

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I had a thought the other night and tested the theory today. Why was there so much water in my bilge even in calm water? It had to be the clean out I thought. So I went out, saw the whole clean out was full of water and therefore it overflows into the drain and bilge. Does anyone else have this going on with their clean out? It's locked in correctly and lubed with marine grease. Seems like the seal would be tighter.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a thought the other night and tested the theory today. Why was there so much water in my bilge even in calm water? It had to be the clean out I thought. So I went out, saw the whole clean out was full of water and therefore it overflows into the drain and bilge. Does anyone else have this going on with their clean out? It's locked in correctly and lubed with marine grease. Seems like the seal would be tighter.
Normal, no worries.
There is usually (or always in my yamies) some water blowing out through the seal.

NOT to be confused with a plug blowout - a very different scenario!

--

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Okay. Thank you. I was disappointed all of my attempts to secure leaks had been thwarted! At least I know now. I'm thinking of a second bilge in the near future. Another project!

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How well did you seal the hole where your transducer cable goes through the hull? That part of the hull spends a good amount of time under the water when the boats in the water.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've only been on this forum for 10 months or so but I can't imagine the whole clean out tube full of water as normal. When I pull ours out during cleaning it only has a little bit on top of the plug and I thought that was from rinsing the boat off.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Take it off shore one day and see how many waves over the swim platform it takes to fill up the clean out hole. It won't be many. Fun but harmless.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is normal for water to wash over the swim deck when the boat slows and fill the clean out port tube with water. This water should never get into the bilge.

It would not be normal for any water to bypass the cleanout plug seal and come up through the tube.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've had plenty of waves wash over the swim platform but I don't recall ever seeing any go over the hatch covering the clean-out port. But the hatch is not that much higher than the swim platform so I'm sure it can get some water in there that way We've fished offshore plenty of times and never had more than an inch or so over the cleanout plug even after rinsing the boat off.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
How well did you seal the hole where your transducer cable goes through the hull? That part of the hull spends a good amount of time under the water when the boats in the water.
I actually only drilled one hole through the hull and that was above the water line. There was no water leakage there at all when I removed the bucket holder that sits behind the live well.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I've only been on this forum for 10 months or so but I can't imagine the whole clean out tube full of water as normal. When I pull ours out during cleaning it only has a little bit on top of the plug and I thought that was from rinsing the boat off.
That's what I was hoping too. Somehow the water is getting above the clean out and filling the entire tube up to wet storage. Brand new '17 FSH.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I actually only drilled one hole through the hull and that was above the water line. There was no water leakage there at all when I removed the bucket holder that sits behind the live well.
Where is the hole at? Typically transducer cables exit through the underside of the swim deck. That location is above the waterline until people stand on the swim deck so it is a common source of water in the bilge.

That's what I was hoping too. Somehow the water is getting above the clean out and filling the entire tube up to wet storage. Brand new '17 FSH.
In my case a I certain that driving style plays a big role in water running over the swim deck. If am throwing a 1 foot plus wake and stop quickly a lot of water rushes over the swim deck. If I drive more smoothly that does not happen. I like to have fun and throw the kids around so most of the time there is water in the clean out port tubes.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I've had plenty of waves wash over the swim platform but I don't recall ever seeing any go over the hatch covering the clean-out port. But the hatch is not that much higher than the swim platform so I'm sure it can get some water in there that way We've fished offshore plenty of times and never had more than an inch or so over the cleanout plug even after rinsing the boat off.
I was in totally calm water today and there was no water washing higher than the lowest part of the swim deck...

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Additionally, the entire tube above the clean out was full as was the wet storage. So the water is making its way into the bilge from there and not the hole for the transducer. That was plenty dry and sealed up.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh I definitely get some blow through water in the clean out tubes. Or at least that is what I think it is. Plugs are in with EZ locks, had seen it in my old (2012) boat and in the brand new boat.
If you run and accelerate hard I'm pretty sure you will find some water on top of the plugs.
And yes, water can also enter from the swim deck - the cleanout cover is not well sealed- but that is a whole different story.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ths
Additionally, the entire tube above the clean out was full as was the wet storage. So the water is making its way into the bilge from there and not the hole for the transducer. That was plenty dry and sealed up.
That does sound like a lot of water so it is likely from the deck. As @Bruce has said.

--

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ths

That does sound like a lot of water so it is likely from the deck. As @Bruce has said.

--
But if the deck is lower than the clean out, how can the water be physically higher than the water line without being forced up from the engine impeller? That's what I'm really asking. Is it normal for water to be pushed up past the clean out?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's what I'm really asking. Is it normal for water to be pushed up past the clean out?
That would be extremely abnormal and would likely lead to a major failure when the plug blows out.

It is extremely common for water to wash over the swim deck and fill the tube that the plug resides in.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That would be extremely abnormal and would likely lead to a major failure when the plug blows out.

It is extremely common for water to wash over the swim deck and fill the tube that the plug resides in.
I had no worries about the water over the swim deck since that would seem pretty routine based on the height of the deck. Since the blow out tube is higher there is no water getting there. I actually watched to make sure. I'm wondering if the assumption is the plug WON"T blow out with the new design and that water getting around it is acceptable. I think I'll have to contact Yamaha to get an official word on that.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had no worries about the water over the swim deck since that would seem pretty routine based on the height of the deck. Since the blow out tube is higher there is no water getting there. I actually watched to make sure. I'm wondering if the assumption is the plug WON"T blow out with the new design and that water getting around it is acceptable. I think I'll have to contact Yamaha to get an official word on that.
Interesting, I had not considered that you have a new twist lock cleanout plug. I would be pushing the dealer hard on this to make sure that plug is not letting water pass.

For some self testing I would install a camera and light on the underside of the hatch and go for a run to see if the water is coming up.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Interesting, I had not considered that you have a new twist lock cleanout plug. I would be pushing the dealer hard on this to make sure that plug is not letting water pass.

For some self testing I would install a camera and light on the underside of the hatch and go for a run to see if the water is coming up.
That's an interesting idea. I have a GoPro. If Yamaha is open on Good Friday I will inquire with them as well.