• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in ski locker

DAMATS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

I've been noticing a few inches of water in the ski locker. I cover it and it's on a lift. Is this just rain water or another issue? The plug in the locker is out but not draining to the bilge it seems.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would guess it would be rain water unless some water were trap in there from the last boating event.. maybe the plug is stopped up with trash

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had this as well, i used my hose on Jet and sprayed through whatever was blocking the water. I have a feeling though that I have water in the bottom of my hull which will not ever come out.

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Possibly drain it and put the plug back in? Mine stays covered and all the "internal" plugs stay in, unless i am cleaning the boat and have never had water in there, even stuck on the lake in a sc down pour. Plug in and see what ya get.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im sticking my oil extractor in there and seeing what I get.

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The anchor spot in the bow has a drain that drains directly to the ski locker. Could this be it ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Possibly drain it and put the plug back in? Mine stays covered and all the "internal" plugs stay in, unless i am cleaning the boat and have never had water in there, even stuck on the lake in a sc down pour. Plug in and see what ya get.
I have to reluctantly agree with @JerryG although, in principle, I would thing all the internal plugs SHOULD BE OUT to permit drainage into the bilge. If it was a normal boat. But these boats have such effed up drainage, I now put all my internal plugs in. I noticed water (a lot of water) coming up in the ski locker when I removed that plug. It is coming up from the bottom. WTF.

It can all (or most all) be drained only on a trailer sloping down, with the trailer jack cranked up all the way.

The problem is, stuff gets wet and will mold if left wet.

--

DAMATS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to reluctantly agree with @JerryG although, in principle, I would thing all the internal plugs SHOULD BE OUT to permit drainage into the bilge. If it was a normal boat. But these boats have such effed up drainage, I now put all my internal plugs in. I noticed water (a lot of water) coming up in the ski locker when I removed that plug. It is coming up from the bottom. WTF.

It can all (or most all) be drained only on a trailer sloping down, with the trailer jack cranked up all the way.

The problem is, stuff gets wet and will mold if left wet.

--
I know. I lose that big area for storage now if it's going to have water in it all the time. Ugh...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I kept the plugs out so any possible water would drain through and the ski locker stayed dry. I did get water there but mostly from the skies, wakeboards and noodles. Boats have to have way to get water back to the bilge. It either drains through or across the top. My only problems were that the plugs sometimes slide back in but as soon as I pulled it out the water would drain out. I did have a slow drain once and ran a fiche line through to clear it up. if I recall the anchor locker had a drain to the outside (which also let water in as well).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The anchor spot in the bow has a drain that drains directly to the ski locker. Could this be it ?
I did not know that. I'll check it out next weekend. Thanks
@DAMATS The anchor locker drain DOES NOT drain into the ski locker in 2012 190s, it drains into the hull in front of the ski locker.
I would be very surprised if it changed in 2016 190s, but I do not know that.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While towing back from Ft. Lauderdale, we ran into 2 small amounts of rain (3 minutes or so each). I purposely placed an empty cooler in my ski locker with the lid removed. It collected about 3 cups of water that leaked in via the hatch. Although the ski locker hatch has a channel around it that is designed to drain water to the deck drain at the back of the boat, my boat tilts bow-down when on the trailer, and when sitting in the water if I have people in the bow and/or stuff stored under the bow seats.
I honestly have to say that this should be a safety recall situation for Yamaha because collecting water in the bow area is dangerous. ACR has a story on their website in their epirb "survivors" section where someone's fishing boat sank because one of their bow lockers was collecting water without them knowing it, which caused their bow to get lower in the water and eventually caused them to take a wave and get swamped while fishing.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree the bow can go low when there are several people up there. But typically our boat did not have a problem with water draining to the stern. We have been on the water in heavy rain and also had lots of kids going in and out for hours (lots of water) and the water always went back. We had a covered slip for ours and whenever I did tow the boat we had a cover on her so I can only talk about while it is on the water.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was cleaning out my floor ski locker and kept the hose running and water was draining through the bottom drain, but I don't know where its going no water outside the boat and none in the bilge...
I'm going to jack up the bow and see if eventually flows out somewhere. I have the service manual but no schematic of the drainage system. Any ideas?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was cleaning out my floor ski locker and kept the hose running and water was draining through the bottom drain, but I don't know where its going no water outside the boat and none in the bilge...
I'm going to jack up the bow and see if eventually flows out somewhere. I have the service manual but no schematic of the drainage system. Any ideas?
You have to also open the drain plug in the engine compartment near the bilge pump in order to allow water to flow from the ski locker or fuel compartment. You will need to crank the jack up high so the boat is at a steep angle. Have the bilge pump running.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies..it must run under the engine compartment. As soon as I really angled the boat it rushed out the transom plug, but it never ran through the "bilge"under the engines where I have the 2 plugs. Must be a second layer of bilge/hull area it can run through to the bottom plug.

Kingston Dan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hi,

I've been noticing a few inches of water in the ski locker. I cover it and it's on a lift. Is this just rain water or another issue? The plug in the locker is out but not draining to the bilge it seems.
I have an sx192 and found unexplained water in the locker as well as the hull. It ended up being a blown manifold gasket. It started slowly but eventually became a major leak. The dealer had to take the engine cover off and observe it while in motion in order to see the water coming in. It did not leak if the engine was not running.