• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water Ski Rope Length?

puzle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just picked up a 2016 FSH 190 and we are water skiing behind it.

What length of rope are people using to ski?

I'm asking as the water at the end of our rope when dead center seems rough compared to other boats to drop a ski. Not sure if this is due to the jet rather than a prop. We are doing about 27mph with two people in the boat.

I was thinking to try and change speed but also just getting a longer rope or extension.

This is my first jet boat.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't have the same boat but my family skis with a 75' rope.

puzle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't have the same boat but my family skis with a 75' rope.
I think your is a dual engine? It seems that the water at the end of rope is more turbulent due to the jet pushing it back and up a little.
I'm sure we just need to practice more and it will be fine just was wondering if others when with a longer rope that typical.

Thanks for the reply.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've tried everything from 55' to 75'. I settled at 60' I think. I can't remember honestly. I ride a wakeskate so I was adjusting to get to a "cleaner" spot on the lip of the wake at 19mph. Even some of the less expensive ropes have sections you can add/remove to get the length you want. Adjusting the length and the speed can help make the ride easier, however I don't think you're gonna get away from the rough water in the center of the wake from the jets. The nature of the jet propulsion is such that it creates a turbulent flow behind the boat. My suggestion is gonna sound like a jerk, but just stay outside the wake. Cross back and forth of course, but don't just hang out back there. The water is rough and IMO beats your feet up in ski's. Even on my skate I stay just off center often if I need a break for a second.

puzle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
but just stay outside the wake
The main issue is that is where my wife learned to drop a ski. She gets up on two then drops one. But I think you are right and the jet is different than a prop flow at the center.
We will play around with speed and length to see if that helps. I did find that just off center the flow was stable and we will see if it is easy to drop from there.

The easiest would be just to start on one ski :)

Thanks for the reply.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The main issue is that is where my wife learned to drop a ski. She gets up on two then drops one. But I think you are right and the jet is different than a prop flow at the center.
We will play around with speed and length to see if that helps. I did find that just off center the flow was stable and we will see if it is easy to drop from there.

The easiest would be just to start on one ski :)

Thanks for the reply.
Yea, that does pose a little bit of an issue if she is used to dropping a ski dead center. The jet is just going to be rougher water back there. I'm not sure there is much you can do to minimize that really. Has she tried dropping a ski just off center? Perhaps a gradual turn to one side or the other while she is dropping a ski will keep her rope straight but the nozzle slightly offset to soften the water while she's in process?!?

When I was first looking at Yamaha's a few years back that was a concern for me. The local dealer met us on the water and was nice enough to give me a test ride that included a test pull on my wakeskate before we bought. I immediately noticed the rougher water dead center in the wake, but found that it wasn't a huge issue for me as I spend most of my time out in the flats and on the lip of the wake anyway.

We didn't buy that year, but rather came back 7yrs later and bought one then!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
65-70 foot rope will help. Also shifting off to the side, or out of the wake entirely will help.

As for drop skiing....I assume she hasn't been able to perform a deep water start? I couldn't do this either....took a ski lesson from an expert and got up the first attempt. The single best piece of advice I got was....wait for it.....

1. Close your eyes!
Doesn't seem intuitive, but it works great. Most people try to stand up too fast, and put too much pressure on the ski and the handle just gets yanked from their hands. Close your eyes, angle the ski more so resistance is less, and with eyes close the face spray is less impactful...so you don't naturally try to get out of the spray.

Another good recommendation.....take a class with an expert who can show you what you are doing wrong!

I also got some instruction on doing a "Pro Start" on a wakeboard....got up first try at that too. So I may take my Wake board pro start and try it with my ski.

Lastly...deep water starts are much easier with a bigger ski!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use 80 foot ropes standard rope is a bit too short for the jet wash

puzle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank guys. I will try a longer rope to start.

@Julian I will try these tips thanks. The last time she was skiing was 15 years ago and for me about 20 plus :) Not sure if there are pros around but will ask as that would make life much easier. I did try a single ski start with our old boat (13' whaler with a 40hp). Dragged my ass underwater till I let go of the rope :)

@buckbuck Nice pics, my wife can do the single ski, I'm still stuck with dbl as I have only done this a dozen of so times.

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 6.22.34 PM (1).png