• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water Strainer Install Advice

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Its that time again and the boat is in being de-winterized. I ended last year by breaking in a new port motor. The failure was caused by a deteriorated/clogged exhaust manifold/cooling system. During the new engine break-in we meticulously monitored the engine temps with a IR gun. I noticed that starboard motor was running a tad hotter so I am having the starboard manifold removed and checked for clogs and deterioration.

I am considering installing a water strainer system before putting the boat back in since everything will be clean and or new.

Any advice or install pics to share.

Thanks

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome thanks again I knew I could count on you to jump in. I almost just PM'd you but I thought others may be interested in refreshing this topic as well.

We have a lot of very fine sediment that ultimately builds up and acts like concrete. I always flush after I run it but on the hose it doesn't "pee". I also pinch if I need to tow or have a motor out...unfortunately I became very familiar with running on 1 motor last season.

I'll post some photos of the install when it is done. Did you use island racing's kits?

Thanks again.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always flush after I run it but on the hose it doesn't "pee".
I believe that is why @Gym uses his aftermarket tow valves - to make flushing possible while in the water and to stop water "escaping" through the pump nozzle.

I've been thinking about this mod (or two mods - valves and strainer) for a while, the only thing that gives me pause is - I can't figure out how much of an obstruction would it cause for the flow.

My wake surfing ballast install has taught me not to underestimate how much a smaller valve diameter can impact flow, lol - it's exponential!

I really want to do it, though. @ISLANDRACING kit should be the way to go, right?

--

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used the island racing kit. I also disconnected the cooling line that goes out to the pee hole and blew compressed air through it. It was definitely restricted over the many years and now I get better flow. I would do this while you are at it....

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
A couple times a season i need to get bugs out of the pee holes. I use a thick weed whacker line and it usually does the trick. Usually a sign of not boating enough!

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A couple times a season i need to get bugs out of the pee holes. I use a thick weed whacker line and it usually does the trick. Usually a sign of not boating enough!
I disconnect the cooling and use a 60cc syringe to back flush it.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been thinking about this mod (or two mods - valves and strainer) for a while,
--
@swatski why do you want a filter? I know your river water consistency is sometimes similar to molasses but our 4 stroke nozzle filter keeps the pebbles out, do you think the filter will help with the silt ? I would think something the filtered the silt would clog before you were out of the marina,

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski why do you want a filter? I know your river water consistency is sometimes similar to molasses but our 4 stroke nozzle filter keeps the pebbles out, do you think the filter will help with the silt ? I would think something the filtered the silt would clog before you were out of the marina,
Good point! I agree! and that's why I don't have one yet - just been thinking...
More along the lines of a "strainer" than "filter" - thinking if there ever was a breach of the factory mesh/filter/screen resulting in ingress of some small rocks. But I agree - it is extremely unlikely.

Importantly, I do not want to slow intakes by applying obstructions - in a form of a strainer and/or a intake valve.

So - for now - I'm running stock.

And I need to remind myself that I've been running "unprotected" with various o/bs in that river for many years. I have had clogging issues, but it was more of the surface stuff - like needles and leaves - clogging just the intakes at low speed.

EDIT: Clogging of the "pee holes" is different all together. Can be a result of bee activity, I have seen this in the past, but it has NO EFFECT on cooling. The pee hole lines are just indicators, and useful for flushing.

--

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed, I wouldn’t install a strainer if I had a newer boat with the screen on the intake

ISLANDRACING

Jet Boat Addict
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
...This pwc had a "screen" in the pump. You will be surprised how much gets past those tiny holes in the OEM screens. You will also be suprised just how much "stuff" passes through you cooling system that you dont know about.

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...This pwc had a "screen" in the pump. You will be surprised how much gets past those tiny holes in the OEM screens. You will also be suprised just how much "stuff" passes through you cooling system that you dont know about.
Damn. Not what I wanted to see! lol.

--