• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We surfed (and wiped out) on my 192!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't fill the bag full as I need another rope to keep the bag from falling on the floor but I'd guess I had about 500 lbs or so in the 750 lb fat sac. Had fun meeting @Bill D @blacksapphirez and their wives!

I got to drive Bill's 242 Limited S with all his fancy gizmos, Perfect Pass along with throttle and gate controls!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great shots. . . Where's the vids?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great shots. . . Where's the vids?
Thanks! We had a blast, even if it was my first time and made a few mistakes filling and dumping the bag lol.

Here's a video I put together that has some of the surfing in it. Next time I go out i'm going to spend time on finding the sweet spot for some wave push and not just hold onto the rope :D

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dude, that's really not a bad wave for a 192. . . . . @jcyamaharider - Do you think the 8.3 would work better on this since it the wake isn't crossing the jet wash of a second engine?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dude, that's really not a bad wave for a 192. . . . . @jcyamaharider - Do you think the 8.3 would work better on this since it the wake isn't crossing the jet wash of a second engine?
I thought it was a pretty good wake too considering it's just one bag and not even filled to capacity!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think it has potential! I would love to test this theory and I have the stuff to do it, just no time to travel. The does look like a good wake, WHERES MY BOARD!

IMG_20160808_092705.jpg

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You know it would be fun @jcyamaharider... Maybe you can deliver my wedge when I order one. :winkingthumbsup"

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wait, I thought you had already tested the Ronix on the 19' boats @jcyamaharider ? I was wanting to try something like the delta since it had suction cups....until i read where you can't have graphics on the side where the suction cups go. No way I'm cutting circles in my graphics for suction cups lol and I really don't like the idea of velcro strips even though they would not be seen in the water.

I really want to see what my wake will look like with a full 750 lbs! I bought some extra dock lines so I can now tie off my bags without worrying they're going to fall in the floor off the seat when I come let off the throttle. What is the best method for lengthening the wake? Add a 400# bag in the ski locker + 1 person in the bow surf side?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nope still wanting to test on the 19 foot boat.

To lengthen out the wave either go faster or add nose weight.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nope still wanting to test on the 19 foot boat.

To lengthen out the wave either go faster or add nose weight.
You're about 8.5 hours from us so yea that would be a haul if we wanted to try it out. I'd be curious to know how it does. I'm still toying with the idea of making my own homebrew "budget" version based off some ideas I've seen on the MC forums. The Ronix and similar shapers goes opposite of the surf side correct, to help push more of the weighted surf side hull into the water?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes they go on the opposite side of the surfer.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash , interested in hearing if you have made a wake that you can go rope less on. Full wakesurf

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash , interested in hearing if you have made a wake that you can go rope less on. Full wakesurf
I haven't had a chance to get back out on the board. A bunch of us are meeting up next weekend so hopefully I can get some practice in to see if I can find the sweet spot. I've only tried wake surfing that one time but I think it could be done. Others have gone ropeless with 750+ lb ballast + people so it's possible. I want to get another 250 or 350 lb bag and use it to try and lengthen the wave a bit.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't had a chance to get back out on the board. A bunch of us are meeting up next weekend so hopefully I can get some practice in to see if I can find the sweet spot. I've only tried wake surfing that one time but I think it could be done. Others have gone ropeless with 750+ lb ballast + people so it's possible. I want to get another 250 or 350 lb bag and use it to try and lengthen the wave a bit.
Lengthen the wave with speed also.....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea I'm going to try 11-12 MPH next time and see how it looks. I wouldn't mind a small bag under the port side seat though.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you have any luck going rope-less?
Not yet but I plan to add more ballast and hopefully a wake shaper of some sort which should help get a wave with enough push for me. I think @Bill D could have gone ropeless as he weighs much less than me.

OptiLee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im on the fence about getting a jet boat due to can you REALLY surf off it? I'm looking at 19 (and of course the numerous options with yamaha there...used vs new) any input?! And what board are you using? I've heard that if you use a board thats pretty buoyant it helps you surf better...as you're on top of the water more.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can for sure surf behind a jet boat. Single engine models have an advantage with the jet wash issue, but dials can support more ballast. I think his summer we'll be ropeless behind @haknslash's 192.

However, if your priority is to surf, a wake boat like a Tige or Malibu or the like will be much easier. To get ropeless behind my 242, I need a minimum of 2k lbs in ballast. To maintain ropeless, I need a wedge or similar to knock down the wash.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Im on the fence about getting a jet boat due to can you REALLY surf off it? I'm looking at 19 (and of course the numerous options with yamaha there...used vs new) any input?! And what board are you using? I've heard that if you use a board thats pretty buoyant it helps you surf better...as you're on top of the water more.
My board is a Liquid Force Fish 5'6". Larger boards offer more surface area so they tend to be more stable or willing to allow for larger riders to surf but aren't as agile or fast as smaller boards. Smaller hybrid boards are more agile and faster. As @Bill D said you can certainly surf ropeless behind a jet boat, even the 19'. I think @jcyamaharider has a pic of him ropeless behind a 19' Yamaha. The 19's being single engine don't throw as much jet wash as the twins so the wake is cleaner and doesn't require something to knock down the wash. Jet boats are much lighter than Wake surf v drive boats and we tend to sit on top of he water with less freeboard so even when ballasted we can't displace as much water as those boats do. If surfing is your main point then a dedicated Wake surf boat would be better but there are people on here who surf ropeless behind these boats and I for sure think it's possible with my boat. It's just going to take more ballast and playing around with placement. Need something to generate more push and usually that's with more ballast. A wake shaper would further help but nobody hasnused one on a 19'mboat that I'm aware of so I'm curious how it would perform.

I've been in contact with Nauticurl and may give their shaper a try. I'm just kind of concerned with putting 300 lbs of force against the hull as its thinner than the Wake boats.

Last edited: