• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wear ring housing

ma11er

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am currently changing both of my impellers (they were pretty shot so i had them refinish) and i'd like to have your opinions about my wear ring housing conditions.. they look original to me so i can't change the wear ring..

Here’s some pictures of one of the two wear ring housing(both are almost in same condition) there is some scratches, nothing too deep but you can feel a few minors spots with a finger, i was thinking about smooth buffing those spot just to be sure the impeller does not comes in contact with the housing

Good plan? or should i change them?

2008 AR210

Attachments

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you boating fresh or salt water? It's likely your wear rings are swelling due to galvanic corrosion if you are feeling high spots. If that's the case I would replace with OEM rings so you don't damage your newly repaired impellers.

ma11er

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you boating fresh or salt water? It's likely your wear rings are swelling due to galvanic corrosion if you are feeling high spots. If that's the case I would replace with OEM rings so you don't damage your newly repaired impellers.
Boat has always been in fresh water..
The higher spot i feel are more like from a scratch spot ( ive sucked some rocks last summer)

I’ll bring the housings to my job tomorrow and i’ll have some machinist have the inside diameter reading

Thanks for your reply btw

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
ID is not the biggest issue. The most important thing is Impeller clearance. .030" or under I believe is spec might be .02" tho

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am currently changing both of my impellers (they were pretty shot so i had them refinish) and i'd like to have your opinions about my wear ring housing conditions.. they look original to me so i can't change the wear ring..

Here’s some pictures of one of the two wear ring housing(both are almost in same condition) there is some scratches, nothing too deep but you can feel a few minors spots with a finger, i was thinking about smooth buffing those spot just to be sure the impeller does not comes in contact with the housing

Good plan? or should i change them?

2008 AR210
Whats the cost to replace the rings? If you are going to do the impellers it might be worth doing the wear rings since you have them off.

I was doing work on my car a long time ago. Money was an issue. I was doing a clutch rebuild. I didn't want to replace some seals on my cv shafts going into the manual transmission. A friend of mine who was a mechanic, said, "Never go cheap". I put in new seals.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I change over to the replaceable nylon wear ring sections I get them from www.sbtontheweb.com in Clearwater FL. The plastic liners are all I use no swelling of the pump housings and the liners are seriously strong I keep a spare on hand just in case I need it but so far in several years I have not needed to use it, Yamaha has now gone to the nylon rings in the newer boats as well. Your liners look worse than any I have personally ever had and I would have changed those a long time ago. So at the very least put in new pump sections regardless of the wear ring material. 1585571897030.png While you have the pumps out pull the end cones and inspect the grease, add some gear lube 80 or 90 weight into the bearing housings , then clean the cone O ring and place some high heat silicon sealer on the O ring and reinstall the cone, I currently have 800 hours on my pumps I add gear lube to the existing grease , aprox. 6 oz that's all

Last edited:

ma11er

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the answers guys, i didn't think they were that bad

I change over to the replaceable nylon wear ring sections I get them from www.sbtontheweb.com in Clearwater FL. The plastic liners are all I use no swelling of the pump housings and the liners are seriously strong I keep a spare on hand just in case I need it but so far in several years I have not needed to use it, Yamaha has now gone to the nylon rings in the newer boats as well. Your liners look worse than any I have personally ever had and I would have changed those a long time ago. So at the very least put in new pump sections regardless of the wear ring material. View attachment 114775 While you have the pumps out pull the end cones and inspect the grease, add some gear lube 80 or 90 weight into the bearing housings , then clean the cone O ring and place some high heat silicon sealer on the O ring and reinstall the cone, I currently have 800 hours on my pumps I add gear lube to the existing grease , aprox. 6 oz that's all
Thanks for the info appreciated.. one last question, i've been told that the housing is made of aluminium and the liner is stainless steel, how come the liner is held in place ? is it pressfit? I don't think stainless can be welded on aluminium. ?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I imagine they are pressed in but the stainless one can not be replaced only if you have the nylon one

ma11er

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha.. and the nylon one are on newer boat i guess?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
yes they went to nylon but the ones I get are for the earlier metal pump sections The new ones are different in shape and do not look interchangeable with the earlier pumps

ma11er

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes they went to nylon but the ones I get are for the earlier metal pump sections The new ones are different in shape and do not look interchangeable with the earlier pumps
Okay, anyway i'll go with SBT housing with plastic wear rings.. not cheap but i'll be good for a while after this, thanks again for the info!