• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Weight Distribution Hitch w/ Surge Brakes...

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
So I’m looking for some input regarding using a weight distribution hitch with surge brakes due to our new boat purchase.

When taking the boat camping, we have a ‘06 Buick Rainier as a second tv that gets boat duty. 4.2, rear air suspension.

Due to buying the Rainier used, the receiver hitch sticker was long gone. I recently was able to find the receiver hitch weight ratings when using a weight carrying ball mount.

Max trailer: 4,000lbs
Max tw: 400lbs

Edited to add the max weight rating if the receiver hitch when using a wdh:

Max trailer: 5,600lbs
Max tw: 750lbs.

Loaded the new boat weighs:

Total boat: 4,800lbs
Boat tw: 470lbs

So it is either make a wdh (weight distribution hitch) work with the surge brakes, or try to convince my wife to buy another vehicle which may be a challenge. At least a truck, since we will need a second vehicle for our boys to drive soon, as they turn 16 in a few weeks.

I will need a pole tongue adapter, and am looking at the Reese trunnion wdh w/ 600lb bars. The Reese hitch head tilt is able to be adjusted pretty fine, due to the design.

So who has successfully set up a wdh, and do you have any tips?

The pole tongue adapter is suggested to be installed 30” from the coupler/ball center. That is exactly where the tongue pivot is. But Reese said it can possibly be 32” depending on the wd bars...

My thinking is if the chains are not under as much tension as they normally would be for a traditional tongue, that should allow the coupler to move forward when going down the road. That would also tighten the chains a little, transferring a little more weight back to the front axle.

Having the available chain length should also allow the coupler to move back, applying the brakes as needed.

So any input is greatly appreciated!!!

TY!!!

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no experience with WDH's. But I have read about them a bit.

I think in this situation my recommendation would be to go to some respectable retailer (etrailer.com or the Reese customer service) and describe your situation to get their recommendations. If you are not sure whether they are giving you the right info, might be worth an email to a few of them to compare what they say. I think this is probably something you should get right rather than guess.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just did a quick search and it states your truck has a 5600 lb towing capacity.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Just did a quick search and it states your truck has a 5600 lb towing capacity.
Yes, but the vehicle mounted receiver hitch is limited to 400/4,000lbs when only using a weight carrying ball mount..

To be able to tow the max weight a wdh is needed, per what GM states.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m looking for some input regarding using a weight distribution hitch with surge brakes due to our new boat purchase.

When taking the boat camping, we have a ‘06 Buick Rainier as a second tv that gets boat duty. 4.2, rear air suspension.

Due to buying the Rainier used, the receiver hitch sticker was long gone. I recently was able to find the receiver hitch weight ratings when using a weight carrying ball mount.

Max trailer: 4,000lbs
Max tw: 400lbs

Edited to add the max weight rating if the receiver hitch when using a wdh:

Max trailer: 5,600lbs
Max tw: 750lbs.

Loaded the new boat weighs:

Total boat: 4,800lbs
Boat tw: 470lbs

So it is either make a wdh (weight distribution hitch) work with the surge brakes, or try to convince my wife to buy another vehicle which may be a challenge. At least a truck, since we will need a second vehicle for our boys to drive soon, as they turn 16 in a few weeks.

I will need a pole tongue adapter, and am looking at the Reese trunnion wdh w/ 600lb bars. The Reese hitch head tilt is able to be adjusted pretty fine, due to the design.

So who has successfully set up a wdh, and do you have any tips?

The pole tongue adapter is suggested to be installed 30” from the coupler/ball center. That is exactly where the tongue pivot is. But Reese said it can possibly be 32” depending on the wd bars...

My thinking is if the chains are not under as much tension as they normally would be for a traditional tongue, that should allow the coupler to move forward when going down the road. That would also tighten the chains a little, transferring a little more weight back to the front axle.

Having the available chain length should also allow the coupler to move back, applying the brakes as needed.

So any input is greatly appreciated!!!

TY!!!
I'm no expert but I don;t think you want the coupler moving with the WDH. Most people would convert ot electric brakes there.
Even if you find a WDH that fits the boat trailer tongue you may find yourself in a bind on some of the ramps, so you will need to be able to (relatively quickly) disconnect the WDH.

There is a reason you (almost) never see a boat trailer with a WDH...

--

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I'm no expert but I don;t think you want the coupler moving with the WDH. Most people would convert ot electric brakes there.
Even if you find a WDH that fits the boat trailer tongue you may find yourself in a bind on some of the ramps, so you will need to be able to (relatively quickly) disconnect the WDH.

There is a reason you (almost) never see a boat trailer with a WDH...

--
I’m not concerned about launching or loading the boat on the trailer with the Rainier. Just getting the boat to the campground, while our HD tows the Jayco.

I did find that it seems the Equal-I-Zer wdh and possibly the Husky CenterLine work better with surge brakes vs the traditional wdh with a chain on the wd bars. I guess the bar can prevent the coupler from moving.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just for vacation, why not rent something that will get you there? Thrifty will rent you a Suburban that should handle the boat without a WDH.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Just for vacation, why not rent something that will get you there? Thrifty will rent you a Suburban that should handle the boat without a WDH.
Sorry, missed your reply. I looked into that, but from what I was finding it wouldn’t have been as inexpensive as I hoped/ thought for a week. Not with what I was finding anyway. Though maybe I didn’t look in the right places.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
We ended up getting a new to us truck. What started as a lower price range was bumped up as my wife decided she would like some certain options. Next thing you know that price range was bumped up again...

So meet Black Betty as she has named the truck. This definitely won’t have any issues towing the boat. We may even end up using it to go snowmobiling, guess time will tell.

We leave Tue for our big camping trip, can’t wait!!!

Only pic we have at the moment.

TY to all who made suggestions!!!

56EF2C4D-5937-48A9-A8BC-BC5170E0F46C.jpeg

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just as an aside, on the Shoreland’r trailers they recommend a 5-7% tongue weight, which if your boat and trailer combo is 4800#, would be in the 240-330# range. I realize of course now the point is moot, but adjusting tongue weight will still make a big difference in how the vehicle rides while towing. Not sure who makes Scarab trailers but they may have a similar recommendation.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Just as an aside, on the Shoreland’r trailers they recommend a 5-7% tongue weight, which if your boat and trailer combo is 4800#, would be in the 240-330# range. I realize of course now the point is moot, but adjusting tongue weight will still make a big difference in how the vehicle rides while towing. Not sure who makes Scarab trailers but they may have a similar recommendation.
That’s a good point. Unfortunately the Scarab trailers are not able to be adjusted to change the tw if needed. They actually make their own trailers (Scarab, Four Winns, Glastron, and I’m guessing Wellcraft also).

I was honestly surprised how much the tw was at ~10%. Never expected it to be that much...

BUT, I will say so far the boat/trailer tow very well. A handful of local trips, and two trips to Northern Michigan (200 mi each way) and I am very happy with how it tows!!!

TY!!!

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We ended up getting a new to us truck. What started as a lower price range was bumped up as my wife decided she would like some certain options. Next thing you know that price range was bumped up again...

So meet Black Betty as she has named the truck. This definitely won’t have any issues towing the boat. We may even end up using it to go snowmobiling, guess time will tell.

We leave Tue for our big camping trip, can’t wait!!!

Only pic we have at the moment.

TY to all who made suggestions!!!

View attachment 101124
Congrats on the new tow rig!! Beautiful truck. Though I must say, it looks like the most expensive WDH I've ever seen! Kidding of course. 😉

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Congrats on the new tow rig!! Beautiful truck. Though I must say, it looks like the most expensive WDH I've ever seen! Kidding of course. 😉
TY!!!

Even more pricey than a Hensley or Pro Pride!!! 🤣

The more I read, surfed, talked to Reese and Equal-I-Zer, etc, it wasn’t a guarantee the surge brakes would still work properly. Not something I was willing to chance, especially since my wife would be driving the combo.

Originally figured maybe the wdh, then possibly even an eoh setup, and maybe more stout tires on the Rainier... But ~$2k and not a sure set up.... To iffy.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 18 Ram 1500 5.7/3:92 geared/8 speed tows our 14 212x just fine. You will be plenty happy with that.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
My 18 Ram 1500 5.7/3:92 geared/8 speed tows our 14 212x just fine. You will be plenty happy with that.
That’s exactly what our combo is: ‘18 1500 5.7/8spd/3.92.

So far pretty happy with it.

Now we are trying decide on a level/ mild lift for Black Betty (as my wife named the beast).

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That’s exactly what our combo is: ‘18 1500 5.7/8spd/3.92.

So far pretty happy with it.

Now we are trying decide on a level/ mild lift for Black Betty (as my wife named the beast).

Don’t do spacers.. Also it’s gonna squat a bit towing the boat with a lvl.. a good aftermarket coil over like eibach or Bilstien is the way to go on those rams.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Don’t do spacers.. Also it’s gonna squat a bit towing the boat with a lvl.. a good aftermarket coil over like eibach or Bilstien is the way to go on those rams.
The tentative plan for the front is possibly the Bils @2.8, maybe Eibach Kit, or maybe the RC or RL 3-4” kit that includes the new uca. The concern with the RC/ RL 3-4” kit is the front cv angles since the diff isn’t dropped at all.

I was considering a 1.5-2” rear spacer though to help with the look when towing. Will probably add a set of the 1000hd bags as well.

TY!!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI, just put the Bilstein 5100's on my 2015 Sierra. They are stiff as dammit, and honestly, not much of an upgrade over the factory ranchos that were on there.

I was fighting a vibration problem on the truck, and thought the shocks might have helped. They did not. $350 and all I really gained was changing from rusted white painted shock bodies to nice clear coated aluminum ones. The damping is still very poorly tuned IMO.

Last edited:

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The tentative plan for the front is possibly the Bils @2.8, maybe Eibach Kit, or maybe the RC or RL 3-4” kit that includes the new uca. The concern with the RC/ RL 3-4” kit is the front cv angles since the diff isn’t dropped at all.

I was considering a 1.5-2” rear spacer though to help with the look when towing. Will probably add a set of the 1000hd bags as well.

TY!!!

I have the Rough country 3”kit, it’s “ OK”, like you it is mainly my wife’s truck, I only drive it a handful of times on the weekend. So it doesn’t piss me off to much, but when we go off roading it irritates me.” rides like shit” I keep saying I’m going to rip the factory coil overs off and toss on some 2.75” eibachs and leave the Rc UCA”s and rear spaces... well one day

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I have the Rough country 3”kit, it’s “ OK”, like you it is mainly my wife’s truck, I only drive it a handful of times on the weekend. So it doesn’t piss me off to much, but when we go off roading it irritates me.” rides like shit” I keep saying I’m going to rip the factory coil overs off and toss on some 2.75” eibachs and leave the Rc UCA”s and rear spaces... well one day
TY for the feedback!!!

Maybe I’ll just go with the Bils or Eibachs at the highest setting... a set of uca, and a 1.5-2” rear spacer...