• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Weight Distribution Hitch

Pate

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time poster here. I have a 2016 AR240 and just bought a new 2016 Ford F150. I have researched the towing capacity of the F150 without a WD Hitch and it is 500lb tongue and 5000 lbs GW. The AR 240 is just a little over this. I am having a problem finding anyone out there that has experience with a WD Hitch on a swing away pole tongue. My real question is are there any limits to using a WD Hitch on the Shorelandr swing away tongue? Is anyone using a system out there and can show some pictures? I have looked at the Equalizer and have seen it with and without the pole tongue adapter. I am just trying to do the right thing here and it seems impossible to find the answers.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm surprised the towing capacity of an f150 is not higher. I can't help directly but suggest you contact etrailer.com . They usually have application specific recommendations.

http://www.etrailer.com/

It may be better if you call them instead of deal with them online

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Pate and congrats on the new boat and truck. I agree with @Ronnie that I would've thought the F150 could tow more. However, make sure that the WD hitch that you purchase is compatible with surge brake system on the trailer.

Good luck with your search. Keep us posted.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Pate Welcome to the club!
I am not an expert, but not a big fan of WDHs. I think some F150s get excessive squatting, moving the ball closer to the rear axle can help A LOT, for example by using as short a hitch as possible.
One does not see a lot of small boats trailered with WDHs, and I think there is a reason. With the Yamaha, I would worry about: 1. surge breaks operation, 2. stress on the trailer tongue (those Shorland'r trailers are NOT over-engineered, LOL), 3. ramps with sharp incline or transition where WDH can mess you up.

Maybe @Zarrella will chime in?

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First time poster here. I have a 2016 AR240 and just bought a new 2016 Ford F150. I have researched the towing capacity of the F150 without a WD Hitch and it is 500lb tongue and 5000 lbs GW. The AR 240 is just a little over this. I am having a problem finding anyone out there that has experience with a WD Hitch on a swing away pole tongue. My real question is are there any limits to using a WD Hitch on the Shorelandr swing away tongue? Is anyone using a system out there and can show some pictures? I have looked at the Equalizer and have seen it with and without the pole tongue adapter. I am just trying to do the right thing here and it seems impossible to find the answers.
Wow.....that does seem low.....I thought it would be higher.....I have a Silverado 1500...tongue wt is 1000# and trailer GW is 12,500#. Cant believe there would be that much difference!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a WD hitch for my camper, honestly I would not use one with the boat, I've never seen one that would attach to the single frame post of the boat trailer. It would definitely affect the surge brake operation, when you attach the WD hitch it forces the trailer down on the ball as it tries to lift the truck up. I don't think the boat trailer and surge brakes are made to withstand that force. That's my opinion anyway.

I also agree 5000# seems low for a F-150, my 2009 Silverado with the 5.3 is 9500#.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5,000 lbs seemed awful low to me as well, but after a short time googling it sounds legit. I'm not exactly sure what my 2005 F-150 is rated for but I know it is more than 7,000 lbs and it can really struggle up some of the big hills around here. A 5,000 lb rating would really concern me.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I found it hard to belive that a 1/2 ton would only be rated for 5k lbs towing and a 500lb tongue. Sure enough Ford lists a couple of variants of the 2016 f150 with that rating. All wheelbases with a 3.5l gas v6 and 3.55 gear ratio are only rated for 5k towing. Of course other variants go all the way up to 12k. I am surprised at the number of variants rated under 8k.

My wife's Durango R/T (her version of a mom mobile) will out tow a number of the f150s. Would have never guessed that.

Pate

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've researched all 1/2 ton trucks and found that all current models are rated at 500/5000lbs for conventional bumper towing except for the GM trucks (700/7000). I had a BMW X5 diesel that was rated at 600/6000 lbs and pulled the boat just fine all summer. I will call Shorelandr tomorrow and ask them about a WD Hitch (they were closed today). I do have the max trailer tow package with the Ecobooat V6 and 3.55 rear end, but it's only using the WD Hitch. More to follow and thanks for the responses so far.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why is that so surprising? Base Silverado 1500 models are rated for 5,500lbs towing capacity. RAM 1500 starts at 4,200lbs, and Tacoma at 3,500 lbs.
All of which is kind of meaningless in practice, even if the numbers adhere to SAE J2807, a towing standard NOT yet adopted by all domestic manufacturers. Not sure which Silverado 1500 is rated for 12,500 lbs from factory, I thought those topped off at 12,000 and only 2WD with max towing package.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've researched all 1/2 ton trucks and found that all current models are rated at 500/5000lbs for conventional bumper towing except for the GM trucks (700/7000). I had a BMW X5 diesel that was rated at 600/6000 lbs and pulled the boat just fine all summer. I will call Shorelandr tomorrow and ask them about a WD Hitch (they were closed today). I do have the max trailer tow package with the Ecobooat V6 and 3.55 rear end, but it's only using the WD Hitch. More to follow and thanks for the responses so far.
I think you will miss your X5 diesel when towing! almost no matter what you do. I tow with a Q7 TDI, with 400+ lbs of torque, and love it.

I considered WDH for my boats several times in the past, but always ended up coming to the same conclusion as @Wayloncle has stated above.

Also consider we are having a host of issues with Shorland'r trailers, which are (kind of) falling apart. Not sure I would trust them, whatever they say. Most problems are related to weak fenders and ply tires, but I was appalled to find missing lubrication and loose bolts everywhere on my new trailer. There are several threads documenting those issues here, championed by @MrMoose.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is that the weight distributing hitch requirement is nothing more than Ford lawyers covering their ass. I would try towing the boat before considering an expensive and complex hitch.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been intimately familar with quite a few foreign and domestics (women ;)) but when it comes to trucks I have only owned 8 cylinder 4x4 mopar powered and never considered anything else until recently. Guess I was completely unaware of the lower end tow ratings on half tons. Learn something new everyday.

@Pate - Ford has all of the 3.5 eco boost rated over 10k for towing with a class 4 receiver (wd not required). Bumper pull being limited to 5k is not surprising at all.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Pate
I think we need to know a little more about your truck. My first question would be if your truck has a receiver hitch versus a bumper hitch ball? Does it have 4 wheel drive? What rear end does it have?
WDH should not even be a consideration. My guess is your truck has a receiver hitch and you will be fine.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure @MattFX4 tows his 240 with no issues with his f150. That does seem low considering my navigator is rated for 8600#

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just to clarify something ... the first engine ford lists in their towing charts in the 3.5l non eco boost. Scroll to the bottom for ecoboost (3.5L GTDI V6) which pretty much doubles everything on the tow ratings. I attached Fords full PDF.

Attachments

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 yeah, unless @Pate has a 3.5l non ecoboost, and is trying to tow from his bumper, then he shouldn't have anything to worry about. The F150 with right axle ratio and 3.5L eco is rated at 12,200 lbs capacity. My '13 5.0 yanks my 242 around with no issues at all.

Pate

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do have F150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 with the maximum trailering package. I have researched by even calling Ford and they are telling me that anything over 500lbs tongue weight or 5,000 lbs gross weight requires a WD Hitch. I even looked on my hitch receiver underneath the vehicle and it has the same ratings with a sticker on it. I have attached some pictures from their trailering guide. At this point I'm trying to decide whether to invest the money in the WD Hitch or go ahead and tow the boat just a little over the weight. I have talked to a lot of F150 owners recently and it seems that no one is aware of the limit without the WD Hitch.IMG_2435.PNG IMG_2436.JPG

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unless they installed a class 3 receiver stock and recommending you step up to a class 4 something seems off. A WD setup will just be a PIA. I had a WD for my camper and it just helps level out the truck and trailer. Fancy ones also help with sway. Perhaps they have two models of receiver hitches that they install .... one they classify as a weight distributing as it is a class 4. In any case an F150 ecoboost should be a towing beast of a half ton. I would just find out if the receiver is a class 3 or 4. If it is a class 3 upgrade it to a class 4. If it is a class 4 then you are all set and forget the WD hitch recommendation. Don't forget to get a 600 lb or better draw bar too.

To put it into perspective my 2012 Ram 1500 came stock with class 4 receiver and so did my wife's 2015 Durango R/T. Neither recommends a WD hitch for under 7k lbs. I am also the guy that points out towing with mid size SUVs rated for 5k lbs is a bad idea that puts the occupants and everyone else on the road at needless risk. I would be PISSED if I bought a new F150 eco boost and found out they under equipped it for towing or properly equipped it and put a bunch of non-sense ratings on it to cover their behind.

Good Luck @Pate - Hammer down on your truck uphill towing your boat while passing a car on your way to the ramp and enjoy both sweet rides.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be PISSED if I bought a new F150 eco boost and found out they under equipped it for towing or properly equipped it and put a bunch of non-sense ratings on it to cover their behind.
x2 on this.

With the max trailering package you would already have Class IV receiver, and that still does not seem to give you the maximum (12.200 lbs) towing capacity ratings?

If it was me, I would tow with this truck (WITHOUT any WDH) and I wouldn't think twice about it. The only alternative would be to sell the damn truck (due to Ford fine print).

As an aside, if that is not a case of fallacy in advertising by Ford, I wouldn't know what is...

--