• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Weighting 243 vrx for wakesurfing

RobR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I recently purchased the chaparral 243 vortex with ballast system and aerial surf platform.

My kids we're out wakesurfing last weekend but we're not able to throw away the rope can you tell me what additional ballast to add to improve our wake.

All 3 of my boys are regular stance. I was looking at 1100lb with tsunami pump as an option.

Also we have a volt board and a CWB ride. Is there a better board for jet boats as I know they are more multipurpose rather than a Malibu or Mastercraft that are built for wake sports.

Thanks !

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how much stock ballast does your surf platform have?

how big are your boys?

My daughters and son can go ropeless with no ballast but they are under 125 lbs.

The magic I think that finally allowed me to go ropeless was widening my stance to what I felt like was an abnormal position at first and then finally just throwing the rope and letting it happen,

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
liquid force fish is a great beginner board with plenty of push for smaller wakes.

RobR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Stock ballast is 400 up front and 500 each side. Should I only fill surfer side?

I also read about widening stance. Thank you.

RobR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Stock ballast is 400 up front and 500 each side. Should I only fill surfer side?

I also read about widening stance. Thank you.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@RobR Yes..fill only surfer side but you will need more weight than that. i run 1100 approx a side plus a 450 bag across the back deck. i put the 450 centered equally because we surf both goofy and regular.

RobR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So if I purchase the 1100 lb bag and put it on surfer side with stock ballast it should work out. Do I always leave non surf side empty?

RobR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Bobbie have you hear any feedback on the chap ASP? Just wondering as this is the first boat we have ever surfed

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@RobR i'm not familair with your boat...someone else might chime in. but on my 212x, i always only fill surf side and list the boat. here's what we are able to create with just ballastimage.jpg

RobR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah man that's what I'm trying create!
So if I use the stock plus 1100 and list the boat I may be able to create similar results.

RobR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hey Bobbie what speed are you using primarily?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just experiment with that weight...I'm going between 10.0 and 10.7. Others go faster...but for our stretch in the Willamette river...that's perfect.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I recently purchased the chaparral 243 vortex with ballast system and aerial surf platform.

My kids we're out wakesurfing last weekend but we're not able to throw away the rope can you tell me what additional ballast to add to improve our wake.

All 3 of my boys are regular stance. I was looking at 1100lb with tsunami pump as an option.

Also we have a volt board and a CWB ride. Is there a better board for jet boats as I know they are more multipurpose rather than a Malibu or Mastercraft that are built for wake sports.

Thanks !
There are a lot of other factors that let Bobbies boat create the wake that she can get Her Transom freeboard is one of them. It lets the wave come back in behind the boat and knock down the jet blast. A slight turn may need to be done to your boat to help clean up the wake face. 1100 pounds will help and the best of luck!!!

EZ311

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Thanks !

EZ311

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
New chap vortex surf owner. What are the steps to filling up the ballast bags? I have a 2018. I used the touch screen and nothing. I turned the valves in the ski locker and nothing? Do I need to use any switches on the right of the helm? Also, what is a good beginner board and rope. Thanks.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@RobR i'm not familair with your boat...someone else might chime in. but on my 212x, i always only fill surf side and list the boat. here's what we are able to create with just ballastView attachment 27916
That's an impressive wave for a 212. Wake wedge on it?