• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Weird starting issue

Dayn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone! Had a strange thing happen to me today. Was out on the water cruising to our normal hangout and all was well. Was anchored for about 2 hours when I needed to fire up the engine for about a minute to reposition the boat. Still no issues, another couple hours passes and we decide to pull anchor and cruise. Hit the key boat cranks but will not fire. Ok, so check all the usual stuff lanyard, back hatch safely switch, fuses. Still just cranks. About 30 min into all this a glimpse of it trying to fire. Finally after a few more attempts it fires up and runs fine the rest of the day. Anyone have any ideas? It almost acted as though it was flooded somehow.

2017 AR195

Thanks!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How old is the fuel in your tank? How full was the tank? When did you last use the boat? Do you run ethanol free? When did you last change spark plugs? Not sure based on what you stated so far.

Dayn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
boat was full of 93 premium, last used 2 weeks ago. Not sure when the plugs were last changed, boat is new to me as of last month and has 114 hours on it. We have had it out about 6 times since we purchased it and it has been perfect all those times. I am planning on changing plugs this week.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Possibly the throttle positioning sensor, if it happens again move the throttle forward and backwards and then try to start it again , because it is cranking it is not the rear hatch switch or the lanyard kill switch , the throttle switch will allow the starter to crank but it kills the ignition.

Croker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hey. I think you have the same issue as this guy.

We all have around the same mode year and issue. I haven’t worked out what causes it and I also suspected hydrolocking.

Long shot and kinda spit balling here.
As long as the engine is warm and being switched on and off waterskiing it’ll start up fine. Once it starts to sit and cool water is sucked into the engine causing that continuous cranking but no ignition. If the boat sits for like 6-8 hours water has time to drain and start up normally.

I can’t find anything concrete about the issue.

Dayn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cobra jet - I did mess with the throttle, that did not seem to make a difference. It almost acts like it was flooded, which I don’t understand how could happen. I am hoping this was a one off and does not become common, but I will for sure be replacing the plugs so at least I will know when they were last changed.

Croker- interesting read however mine was cranking just not firing.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Does your oil smell like gas and is it higher than it should be? You may have a stuck fuel injector and it is flooding the engine and the oil plus the air filter .

Dayn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just checked, and nope oils level is good and no gas smell.