1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. Reminder of the Lateral Thruster & Thrust Vector group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until August 31st to get in on this group buy!

So if you are looking to improve your steering, don't miss this opportunity!  Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(Logged in Members can click the X in the upper right to dismiss this notice)

Dismiss Notice

Wet sand and compound

Discussion in 'Yamaha AR240, SX240, 242 Limited / S / X/ E-Series' started by Brian_NY, Aug 11, 2018 at 9:30 PM.

1. Brian_NY

Brian_NY New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    I had some serious scratches that my 2017 SX240 sustained when I was in Lake George, NY last week. The scratches were caused by a fender tired to a post that got blasted with sand in a storm.

I got brave and wet sanded with 1500 and then followed up with 2000 grit paper. I don't see any more scratches. I then used 3M High Gloss Gel Coat compound on it. I brought back a shine but it is still a duller shine. I have 3M Finesse It which I put on by hand. Still the shine is not there. I did the compound with an electric buffer using a 100 percent wool pad.

It has been damp and very humid here, could the weather be a factor. Any help is appreciated. Yes, I watched tons of videos on line but I can't get the results.

Thanks

2. Redneck_4Play

Redneck_4Play Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    Wool pads are fairly aggressive and are typically used with more aggressive compounds. I use my wool pad with Mcguires M105 Ultra Cut and then a foam finsihing pad with Mcguires M205 finishing polish to give it that showroom shine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. swatski

swatski Jetboaters Fleet Admiral

Ratings:
    +7,651 / 112
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Exactly ^^^^
    The 105 would really help in between sanding and buffing.

--

4. zipper

zipper Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 17
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Agreed, switch to a foam pad and an orbital or D/A (dual action) buffer if you were using a wool pad with a rotary buffer. Wool pad and rotary buffer very aggresive. Time to use a polishing compound as said above, and then wax.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM
  5. Brian_NY

Brian_NY New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Thank you for all the help. I will get an orbital buffer today.

6. Jgorm

Jgorm Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +526 / 14
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I did 1000, then 2000, then 3m heavy compound and it came out like new. There were marks from the previous cf numbers.
    1000g
    20180807_162748.jpg
    2000g
    20180807_163506.jpg

Buffed, dewalt orbital with wool.
    20180807_194153.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. merlinjet

merlinjet Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Here is a great link I found on a sailboat site some time back. It was written by a guy who details boats for a living. The article is soup-to-nuts on how to bring your boat back to showroom (or better) condition. It includes cleaning product suggestions, orbital polisher pads recommendations and how to use them, along with a step by step process with pictures. I have used it to bring back some fairly battered used boats to like-new condition. You even get advise on buying the right orbital polisher.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/buff-magic.105832/&highlight=buff

• Love It Love It x 1
  8. Brian_NY

Brian_NY New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Finally got her done. Sanded with 1500 and then 2000. Used the 3mHigh Gloss Gel Coat Compound to bring back some of the shine back. Then I used a Maguire's #4 cut cleaner and polish to get it better and then Maguire's Boat wax. It came out excellent. It was my first wet sand and it took a lot of time for me but I saved $300. A boat detailer wanted $500.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1