• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wet Sounds 420 without HU

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone ever used the Wet Sounds 420BT without a head unit? Can it be done? I need to replace my HU and also want to add the EQ. If I add the EQ, I can’t think of a single good reason to have a head unit.

I only ever stream music from my phone, so I don’t need a receiver, balance, fade, treble and bass are all taken care of... Help me see what I’m missing here.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Mine is set up so that the head unit is only the power on source. Use the 420 for everything else. So maybe something like that so you don’t have to replace or fill the hole.

Been like that since I bought the boat 5 years ago.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It will work as long as you have amps.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 420 bt has built in Bluetooth so you can go wireless or the regular 420 has a headphone jack for input. You can run it to the dash to a nice termination point.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd go the other way around. Why install another component like the 420? I went with the Fusion MS-UD755. Not only is it Marine grade and has a built in eq, it has zone control, bluetooth, fusion link, pre amp blah blah blah... It's actually pretty awesome.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing. I like the idea of being able to adjust zones and subs without scrolling through menus and having to hit buttons.

My phone is always more intuitive to navigate when scrolling/searching for music, so I never see anything else being my “media center”. So I’m not sure I can justify the extra $300 for a fusion HU vs the options provided by the 420.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing. I like the idea of being able to adjust zones and subs without scrolling through menus and having to hit buttons.

My phone is always more intuitive to navigate when scrolling/searching for music, so I never see anything else being my “media center”. So I’m not sure I can justify the extra $300 for a fusion HU vs the options provided by the 420.
I use my iPhone as the source using Bluetooth and set it in the swim platform. If I’m at the beach or in a tube tied to the boat I can change songs, raise lower the volume thru my Apple Watch .

Just an idea

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, instead of buying a new head unit, I’m gonna have to buy an Apple Watch. That’s how I’m selling it to the wife! :D