• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wetsounds XS-65 or JL M650??

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im looking to upgrade my stock speakers in my 2013 AR240. Whatcha think? They will be in the same location. I plan to add an amp or amps and a sub.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Different levels of awesome in my opinion...

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
edit: nevermind, got my model number mixed up.

Last edited:

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Both are great choices, but I tend to prefer WetSounds!

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Im looking to upgrade my stock speakers in my 2013 AR240. Whatcha think? They will be in the same location. I plan to add an amp or amps and a sub.
Both speakers feature true marine construction.
It's like a GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota pickup truck. Every one is a winner. Every owner is biased.
These are two speakers that sound very different.
Why the Wetsounds XS-65 versus the XS-650 and why the JL Audio M650 versus the MX650?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My opinion? Well, I suggest you really digest and try to interpret what David is saying about the M vs MX on the JL's and the 65 vs 650 on the XS. These are very discrete differences but will make a HUGE difference in what your system does and what it takes to make it sing. Pull both of those speakers in each manufacturer, read carefully the difference in each. Don't worry so much about the max wattage. Read internally into the specs and see what it takes to drive it normally. Only the dealer can really reveal those numbers accurately, as they deal with them everyday. You want to get dead in the middle of the top end of the speaker, and drive it at its maximum efficiency, without overdriving it. You will never drive a speaker at its maximum limit, nor should you drive it below the middle of the top end. Otherwise, you leave money on the table in performance, and you spend more on performance than you use. Just the facts of life in audiophonics. Now, JL or Wetsounds. You have a bunch of guys saying Wetsounds. So go with wetsounds. I went with JL and if I were to build the system all over again...JL. But I am a Chevy guy too. I am allergic to bailing wire and chewing gum. LOL

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Im open to discussion @David Analog , what are you thoughts?
The XS-65 is the least expensive Wetsounds 6.5" coaxial while the M650 is the most expensive JL Audio 6.5" coaxial. I found that odd since they don't compare head to head.
The newer Wetsounds XS-65i is a GIANT improvement over the previous XS-65. This model went from an erratic W-dome tweeter to a smoother true dome tweeter. It was actually Earmark personnel who brought this to the attention of Wetsounds and recommended the tweeter change. So don't get the old model from someone's old inventory.
The XS-650 has a larger midbass driver voice coil and larger dome tweeter diameter & VC over the XS-65i. So there is a difference in power handling that you want to properly match with your electronics.
The JL Audio M650 has a larger tweeter but a smaller midbass cone surface area than the MX650 model. On balance, in a speaker no larger than a 6.5", I will take the larger midbass cone. I consider the M650 a bit of an odd duck.
Comparing the Wetsounds with the JL Audio becomes more subjective. Both have top-of-the-line marine construction. Both have good midbass. Past that, they sound very different in the mids and highs.
The Wetsounds uses a hard metal dome tweeter with a 1st order highpass filter. This speaker is voiced more aggressively in the treble and gives you a little extra kick on the upper harmonics making the speaker sound more distinctive and giving you a little extra sizzle when underway and competing with the wind and noise.
The JL Audio uses a lower resonance soft dome coated silk tweeter with a 2nd order highpass filter (double the slope). This speaker gives you faithful reproduction with the smoothest midrange and vocals.
Comparing specifications between different brands is useless because these are unqualified specs and you don't know what standards apply to sensitivity, power handling, frequency response, etc. etc. As an example, is the efficiency taken a 2.83 volts or 1 watt ?, one foot or one meter ?, peak or weighted ?, on so on.
Nothing can compare to an audition in person.
People will choose based on preconceptions, brand bias, a sound signature that they are more familiar with, whether correct or not, or any number of subjective references. Both Wetsounds and JL Audio coaxials are winners.
You might get with Odin @ Earmark Marine, which is listed in the vendor section. Odin is an authorized on-line dealer for both Wetsounds and JL Audio. You won't find a better resource when the installation begins.

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing can compare to an audition in person.
Truer words have never been spoken.

I apologize for my short original response, but I really do trust that WetSounds will put out a quality product. When I'm at the lake, the systems that sound the best to me are 100% of the time WetSounds systems.

If I had one complaint against them, is that their price just keeps going up, UP, UP, UP!!!

I paid $199 a pair which was full MSRP at the time.

Capture3.PNG

Nowadays, they are listed at $274.99 a pair.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Both are good products as David had mentioned. I went with the XS-650's with LED rings and love them. Also added their sub, tower speakers and amps. But listen to both if possible.

I would go to a dealer to get lower prices. I was able to get discounts on Wet Sounds MSRP.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My opinion? Well, I suggest you really digest and try to interpret what David is saying about the M vs MX on the JL's and the 65 vs 650 on the XS. These are very discrete differences but will make a HUGE difference in what your system does and what it takes to make it sing .... I went with JL and if I were to build the system all over again...JL. But I am a Chevy guy too. I am allergic to bailing wire and chewing gum. LOL
LOL. I am a QUALITY FORD Owner ... Wouldn't touch "Government Motors" junk for anything. However, I do agree with Mel on "bailing wire." And As a FORD owner, I do know High Quality sound. I ONLY will use JL. It only costs a little more to go First Class ! See Mel ......... We can agree on 1 thing (at least). LOL>
Mikey Lulejian - Struggling to enjoy life in 75 degree weather, 35 feet off the beach on Hilton Head Island, SC.

Last edited:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wetsounds is always the correct answer.
Especially when the question is: "which speakers always go up in price whenever I think about buying some?" :rolleyes:

But if I won the lottery, I'd get the boat in my sig and fill it with WetSounds!

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go with Wetsounds. Actually, I did really go with Wetsounds....lol. I would suggest, that to avoid being in my situation, consider the 650s Wetsounds. I added an amp to my 65s and now wish I would have gotten the 650s.