• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What age to start tubing?

At what age would you/did you start putting your kiddos in a tube and towing them around?

Votes: 36 34.0%

Votes: 22 20.8%

Votes: 25 23.6%

Votes: 13 12.3%

Votes: 10 9.4%

• Total voters

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At what age would you/did you start putting your kiddos in a tube and towing them around?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The younger they are, the slower I go. Only going into 3rd season with my boat and my kids are in their teens (13 and 15 when I got the boat). But I've taken my nieces out and they were 8 and 10.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Bennett was two when we put him in the tube with my wife this past summer. Oliver was 5 and he went by himself.

scubarick314

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our youngest was 2 when he went tubing the first time. He was with his 12 year old brother. We went very slow on a calm day.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My youngest was 5 when we got the boat. But I probably would have started about 2 with an adult or her older sister. Good lifevest and very slow speeds of course.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife, son and I rode together in a four person tube when my son was just over one year old. It wasn't planned, we were visiting my cousin in Seattle and one of the days there happened to be a boating day. As soon as we got back we bought a four person tube of our own. My only regret is I don't have a pic of my son tubing for the first time in his life.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think we had my youngest daughter in sit down tube at 4. She was skiing at 5 and wakeboarding at 6.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the "safe" age is very relative to the water conditions, speed, and whether or not they are being held by an adult or not. I am taking my 3 year old niece out this summer with her father holding her. He is not worried about it at all and she LOVES the boat. I will only put-put around at 5-10mph though. My wife's family are boat people too and they don't agree with me taking her out yet no matter what.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it comes down to their familiarity (i.e. swimming) and comfort with water (i.e. fear of water monsters).

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine were 6, started skiing at 8, wake boarding at 10, they still love to tube..

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Considering one of my daughters was just weeks old (can't remember zactly how many) her first time on a boat and it was an 8 hour sail over to Catalina with just my wife and I, I guess I start 'em young. She was probably around one I suppose maybe two, but no older. Same goes for her younger sister. She's a hard charger though - if I had it to do all over again I'd do it all over again.

I was lucky that they just love the water and learned to swim very early.

My grandson is two and he's a veteran on the tube, this year we try skiis and maybe he'll hitch a ride on a surfboard! :winkingthumbsup"

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My kids were both started at 3. My daughter started snow skiig at 2, so I figured...why not? They are 4 and 7 now.

Westbeach Bum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 8 year old daughter started riding by herself at 4, although she is fearless. My 3 year old son who can't stand to get his head wet may not ride until he is 20.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all of your answers and stories. This gives me an idea of when I can try getting my little guy on the tube.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My oldest was 8 when we put her on the tube, her smaller sister is fearless and got on the tube at 5. Both have now progressed to kneeboarding. Hopefully I can get the oldest to try surfing this year!

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought a Rave Hydro race car style tube for small kids. It's extremely stable and can also hold an adult with a small child.

JJ-B-Boatin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My daughters were 2 and 2 .5 years old - with an adult, in a very stable 3 person tube (sit in style) at slow speeds. They loved it!