• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What are these for?

Boyd95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently bought a 08 sx230. I am wondering what these two plugs are for in the bilge. There is one in the front of bilge and one in the middle. Does anyone know where they lead? For now I have been leaving them open when using the boat.
Thank you

IMG_0226.PNG IMG_0225.PNG

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They are drains that go to the lower bilge, the water will make its way all the way aft. The vertical one by the forward drain is from the fuel compartment. There should be plastic plugs that get screwed into each drain. Now for the debate to being, bilge drain plugs in or not.

Last edited:

Boyd95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. Do you suggest screwing the plastic plugs in while the boat is in the water?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. Do you suggest screwing the plastic plugs in while the boat is in the water?
I'm in favor of having them removed to let any water make its way to the lower bilge so that if enough accumulates it will get pumped out or at least drained out once you pull the transom drain plug.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I screw mine in per the manual. Page 3-9. The reason is if the fuel tank leaks it keeps the fuel and associated vapors from spreading to the engine compartment where they could be a problem.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As @Andy S said, there is a debate regarding opinions on leaving the plugs in or out while boating. Like @davel501 I leave my plugs installed while on the water. If you do get water in the boat, it will compartmentalize, instead of flooding the bilge at once. Obviously that depends on the amount of water. In the Gulf, I've taken waves over the bow of my boat and felt better about having the plugs installed. Or if you get a leak near the transom, the water won't fill the storage and fuel areas from underneath. However, there are others that are more comfortable leaving the plugs out.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My plugs are out and will stay out. I want any water that gets in any compartment to make its way to the bilge pumps. Most water will run out through the scupper valve without ever entering the bilge.

Boyd95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies guys, Does the drain on the back of the boat right near where you lift up the seat drain right above the drain plug?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies guys, Does the drain on the back of the boat right near where you lift up the seat drain right above the drain plug?
Yes, water flows through the white hose and out the scupper valve.

Boyd95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thats what i thought, just had to double check, I'm sure ill have more questions in the future, I'm still trying to figure everything out lol

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Boyd95 If your scupper valve is plastic you might want to replace it with a stainless steel one. The plastic ones have been known to crack and if that happens on the water it will flood your bilge. There are posts on here on what to use and there are wrenches made by some of your fellow forum members that you can borrow to do the job.