• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you do to prep your boat for the season?

How much time and / or money do you put into prepping your boat every season?

• None, hook and book for the cost of fuel.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's time for me to get the 'Ship O Fools' ready for the water. I'm considering paying someone to wash and wax her this year but at a cost of $300 to $400 I'm also thinking about doing it myself.
I have a machine (new in box for the last two seasons now) and could watch some how to videos but am wondering how difficult it really is and how long it should take. I am also wondering what you all do, just curious.

Who knows I may just say screw it (to the waxing/buffing/detailing) and instead just wash it by hand and hit the water or just hit the water.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it still looks pretty good then a good wash and wax is all that is required. The waxing is really not that hard. And you really don't need a machine. I used the Maguire's Flagship Premium marine wax. I just applied it with a terry cloth and then wiped it off with another towel as it dried. I would say it took me about 45 minutes for each side of the boat, then maybe 45 minutes for the swim deck, and captain area. The boat feels very smooth when I was done. I also polished and waxed the front part of the hull that can be seen when the boat is out of the water or at cruising speed. That took another 30-45 minutes but really isn't required.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am going to try and hire some help to assist me in washing and compounding/waxing my boat, inside and out, this year. I bought all of the remaining materials I need today but the weather just turned to crap so this may not happen tomorrow (Oh darn!). Time to change my vote.
image.jpg

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie I'm still learning and reading how to wax the boat and have not attempted yet. I may follow suit with @BigN8 and try that wax he mentioned as my boat looks okay on outside. Then look in to the hot sauce for maintenance. Do you have a plan for bunk area and waxing yet? That's what I'm trying to figure out. And it looks tough to reach around the fender areas? Also I assume the whole outside gets waxed but I have read opinions that under the water line don't matter...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No plan other than wash and wax all exterior areas of the boat that are accessible while it's on the trailer which excludes the areas covered by the bunks. my boat just needs a good cleaning to remove some ot the dock rash and water spots that have built up on it over the years.

I've always read that waxing the bottom can decrease top speed as the surface of the hull that actually touches the water while on plane should be a little rough to reduce the amount of friction with the water that comes in contact with it. The theory also applies to impellers (that is polished stainless steel is supposed to be less effective/create more friction with the water). I've also seen how to videos where the border with the bottom paint is taped off tape off so it is not actually waxed not because of possible performance loss but because the aftermarket bottom paint had a different texture and would tend to bleed screwing up the cleaning of the top paint at least near the border. This is not or should not be a problem with a new boat without aftermarket bottom paint.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I'm about to join the 4hr group. I just bought some PoliGlow from Amazon to get that black shinning better than brand new!!

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a list app on my phone -- things I notice throughout the year that I want to do / Replace in the off season. This years list (all of which were accomplished):
  • Remove all decals + Polish and wax
  • Replace Grab handle on swim platform (old one was ripping)
  • replace Scupper (Classic Cracked Scupper caused Bilge to fill last fall)
  • Replace Lower clean out plugs -- A must do if you are getting frustrated with your plugs going in and out
  • Painted the captains chairs
  • Replaced Swim platform mats
  • Wired a tower anchor light
Still to do: Calibrate Gas gauge.

It was a great weekend last week to try out all of the improvements -- It feels like a new boat! Most of the improvements were ideas or suggestions that I have seen on this site -- So the site is a double edged sword -- as I would not have known about these upgrades or improvements and would have just lived with some of those issues.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Port0222 what light did you use for the tower anchor light. Have any pictures?

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Port0222 what light did you use for the tower anchor light. Have any pictures?
Here is a post with the kit I purchased:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/tow-point-nav-light.4422/#post-74691

Here is another write up about getting power to the light (and speakers, etc.)
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2007-ar230-how-to-run-wire-in-tower.4207/

Finally, here is a picture of the light before I mounted the tower back on after storage. I opted for a slightly different light than he recommended as I did not like the chrome light with the aluminum stand.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you have a link to the light you used as the designed light might not be made I can't locate it on the mfg website.