• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What Electric Car(s) do you own and what do you think of it?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to dive into the electric car market and was wondering what the members here have and what they think of theirs?

My neighbor has a VW ID4 and its pretty nice.

One issue I have is that my wife says she doesn't want another car that doesn't have ventilated seats - and that may be a problem as I don't see many electric cars with that option - except all the super high end models. (Her Hyundai Santa Fe has is....was cheap).

I am thinking of looking at the Kia Niro EV, Mustang EV, Tesla, VW, Audi.....

Use: run around town daily errands car. Possibly some Uber driving (so rear seat room ideally).

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We've owned a 2020 Bolt premier for 2 years now. It's my wife's daily driver. Put about 20k+ miles on it so far and she loves it. It has heated seats but no ventilated seats. I know they're releasing an all new Bolt for next year but I'm not sure if it's an option on it.

It's on the smaller side as far as exterior dimensions but I'm super impressed with the interior layout and functional size inside. I'm 6'3" and still have what feels like 4-5 inches of head room to spare when driving/riding. The one downside is the battery recall that GM is working through. Temporary fix is to flash the firmware to only allow a 2/3 charge so the battery doesn't overheat and start on fire. :mad: They're working our way on battery replacements but we were low down the priority list apparently. We also looked at Niros, Bolts, and Teslas (the selection in 2020 on full EVs wasn't as robust as it is even 2 years later).

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
We had a Tesla Model 3 Performance. We gave up ventilated seats for that. The remote AC control for the car was 1000% better than having ventilated seats. I could have that car in the mid 50s before we got into it. Very fun car to drive, extremely quick. Pretty small though, my wife never felt comfortable in it. It had some weird quirks and a rattle I was never able to diagnose (thought didn't try very hard). Long distance driving wasn't a big deal, we planned our stops around SuperChargers. Trips took longer but were more relaxed. AutoPilot was phenominal and one-pedal driving was awesome - some of the best features of the car. The all around camera system was very nice as well, along with the Tesla app mentioned above. Didn't like it didn't offer SiriusXM or CarPlay. Loved not having a car key.

That was traded for a Wrangler 4XE. Wife loves it, feels much more comfortable in it (much bigger car) About a 30 mile range which is perfect for around town. 17 Gallon tank (I believe) so can still do road trips without worrying about charging. Level 2 charger gets it recharged in 2 hours so can run some errands, come home and head back out at 100%. Not as fancy as the Tesla, but certainly more capable. I miss auto-pilot but it at least has adaptive cruise. The phone app works decent but is no where to the level of Tesla's. Miss AutoPilot, 360 cams, Memory Seats and app features. Hate having to carry a car key around again. Love having CarPlay and SiriusXM again. The Jeep is probably nicer interior than the Tesla, and I think it rides nicer. It tows the 19' foot boat so that is a plus. The Jeep gets way more compliments than the Tesla, though that doesn't matter much lol.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a LEAF for 3 years. Fun to drive and bleeding edge at the time. SO QUIET! Range sucked, so I got a 2015 Chevy Volt, drives OK, but too low and too small a back seat behind a tall driver (which I am) so I can't use as much as I'd like to with the family, we all don't fit comfortably, I have to scoot forward too much and my son is still cramped in the back. (Turns out, they grow quick). Drives nice and quiet otherwise. pretty fun to drive.

Still, nothing like fuel for a fast charge, the volt, like the other Plug in Hybrids with long range have it licked in my mind. Fuel when needed, battery most every day otherwise. Was looking to swap to Rav4 Prime, can't justify it yet. Almost never fueling is awesome, and so cheap. I can almost save all the fuel I'll use during the summer on the boat!

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have been gas free since 2019 and currently have:
Tesla Roadster - most fun
Tesla Model S - best highway cruiser
Tesla Model 3 - best daily driver
Nissan Leaf - best for a teenager

Sold:
Tesla Model 3 (for more than we paid for it after 2 years and 40k miles)
Zenn (look that one up, lol). It was a great car for the teenagers - 2 seater with a max speed of 40mph.

What is your budget?
Specific questions? (other than ventilated seats - which none of mine have - but to adrian's point are unnecessary with remote AC)

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to dive into the electric car market and was wondering what the members here have and what they think of theirs?

My neighbor has a VW ID4 and its pretty nice.

One issue I have is that my wife says she doesn't want another car that doesn't have ventilated seats - and that may be a problem as I don't see many electric cars with that option - except all the super high end models. (Her Hyundai Santa Fe has is....was cheap).

I am thinking of looking at the Kia Niro EV, Mustang EV, Tesla, VW, Audi.....

Use: run around town daily errands car. Possibly some Uber driving (so rear seat room ideally).
My brother in law has the bigger Tesla sedan. I’ve ridden in it a lot of times. It has the feel of a cheap car and the ride isn’t terrible but it’s just shy.

jstat17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tesla model 3. No real complaints. Occasional restart or update but its great. Love it. Had charge anxiety for about 100 miles. 17000 miles so far.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mustang MachE. Base model. We love everything about it. Nine months and 9,000 miles.

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have had my Tesla model 3 for 4 years and it still runs and rides like the day I bought it. closing in on 40,000 miles. Its a great commuter and I LOVE that I can say goodbye to the gas station other than filling the truck and boat. Preconditioning deletes the need for vented seats IMHO. The tech is top notch and I will never buy another dino guzzler for getting my ass around town. The battery still charges to 300 miles and when I bought it new was 310 and 325 with a software update...

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Cant wait for the day they have an affordable electric truck that will tow my boat, construction trailer ect... 300 mile range to much to ask?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cant wait for the day they have an affordable electric truck that will tow my boat, construction trailer ect... 300 mile range to much to ask?
Maybe one day. I kinda like running the truck on Dinosaur 🦕 farts. But then again I was one of the last to give up my wooden golf clubs.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have been gas free since 2019 and currently have:
Tesla Roadster - most fun
Tesla Model S - best highway cruiser
Tesla Model 3 - best daily driver
Nissan Leaf - best for a teenager

Sold:
Tesla Model 3 (for more than we paid for it after 2 years and 40k miles)
Zenn (look that one up, lol). It was a great car for the teenagers - 2 seater with a max speed of 40mph.

What is your budget?
Specific questions? (other than ventilated seats - which none of mine have - but to adrian's point are unnecessary with remote AC)
I have only ridden in a Model S, how do you like the Model 3? Is the legroom decent?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have only ridden in a Model S, how do you like the Model 3? Is the legroom decent?
Rear legroom is marginal, at best, for adults. I am 6' and if I have the driver's seat set where I want there is very little room behind it.

I have a second driving profile created for the rare occasions there are adult passengers behind me in the 3. It's doable, but tight.

It would NOT be a good Uber car for that reason, unless the driver is small (or doesn't mind being cramped).

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Our friends hated riding in the back of the 3…. None of there are even that tall.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Rear legroom is marginal, at best, for adults. I am 6' and if I have the driver's seat set where I want there is very little room behind it.

I have a second driving profile created for the rare occasions there are adult passengers behind me in the 3. It's doable, but tight.

It would NOT be a good Uber car for that reason, unless the driver is small (or doesn't mind being cramped).
Is the Y even smaller?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought two Teslas in December foreseeing this disaster with gas prices coming. We bought one Model 3 and one Model Y.

As others have said, these two models don’t have ventilated seats. Not a big deal to us and that’s living in AZ. All you do is turn on your AC from your phone 10 minutes before you get in and your seats are ice cold. I have yet to even think about needing ventilated seats.

These are a blast to drive. The instant torque is so much fun. They are very cost effective as well. I drive about 30,000 miles a year and my cost to charge (at $0.06-$0.07/kWh off peak rates) is$70/month, based on charging at home (which is extremely simple and so much better than having to go to gas stations).

I dread having to drive I.C.E. vehicles now. I dread having to fill up my pickup with fuel. In 6 months of owning my Teslas I have yet to put fuel in my pickup (which I still own).

I’m so sold on electric that I have two pickups on order. I will be selling my ¾ ton Duramax as soon as the first one I have on order is available.

I’m sure I’m going to get bashed and name called for this, fine, I’m saying it just so you can have my perspective which I believe is relevant in this conversation… I come at this thinking it’s extremely vain and unrealistic that us measly little humans are effecting anything with the climate. I look at the data, actual data, not data filtered through some media lense pushing a narrative on either side and nothing has changed other than your typical fluke events. They are not more common, they are just shoved down your throat, and many are just flat out fabricated. I love cheap, reliable, and plentiful fossil fuel energy and I f a gas guzzling I.C.E. vehicle gave us the performance and fun of these electric cars I would buy it in a heartbeat. But no matter how much we wish it an I.C.E. vehicle will never perform like electric.

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought two Teslas in December foreseeing this disaster with gas prices coming. We bought one Model 3 and one Model Y.

As others have said, these two models don’t have ventilated seats. Not a big deal to us and that’s living in AZ. All you do is turn on your AC from your phone 10 minutes before you get in and your seats are ice cold. I have yet to even think about needing ventilated seats.

These are a blast to drive. The instant torque is so much fun. They are very cost effective as well. I drive about 30,000 miles a year and my cost to charge (at $0.06-$0.07/kWh off peak rates) is$70/month, based on charging at home (which is extremely simple and so much better than having to go to gas stations).

I dread having to drive I.C.E. vehicles now. I dread having to fill up my pickup with fuel. In 6 months of owning my Teslas I have yet to put fuel in my pickup (which I still own).

I’m so sold on electric that I have two pickups on order. I will be selling my ¾ ton Duramax as soon as the first one I have on order is available.

I’m sure I’m going to get bashed and name called for this, fine, I’m saying it just so you can have my perspective which I believe is relevant in this conversation… I come at this thinking it’s extremely vain and unrealistic that us measly little humans are effecting anything with the climate. I look at the data, actual data, not data filtered through some media lense pushing a narrative on either side and nothing has changed other than your typical fluke events. They are not more common, they are just shoved down your throat, and many are just flat out fabricated. I love cheap, reliable, and plentiful fossil fuel energy and I f a gas guzzling I.C.E. vehicle gave us the performance and fun of these electric cars I would buy it in a heartbeat. But no matter how much we wish it an I.C.E. vehicle will never perform like electric.
Lol I definitely didn’t see that climate change denial plot twist coming…

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With gas prices the way they are I really miss having a motorcycle but there are just too many idiot drivers preoccupied with anything but driving on the roads. I’ve been looking for a late 90’s or early 2000’s import to have as a work beater. Would love to find an old school Honda CRX but they’re all rusted out or beat to hell and back. Those cars go great fuel economy and range plus they were fun to drive.