• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What else do you need to get started?

Mike22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm new to this forum (and jet boating!), and this seems like a great place to get some advice. I just reserved a 2018 Yamaha 242X and am curious about what recommendations you might have for other stuff I need to get started. I understand the Yamaha comes pretty much ready to go, but I know that I'll need:
  1. Life jackets
  2. Anchor
  3. Fenders
  4. Towing Cover
  5. An inflatable
  6. Wakeboard, kneeboard, skis...
  7. Tow Ropes
What else would you recommend picking up with the boat? Also, any recommendations on brands for these extras? Thanks!

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
  • Coast guard kit, flares, throwable flotation, oar etc.
  • docking lines
  • Not sure if the bow roller on the '18 trailer sucks like it did on my '16, but I replaced it with a Stoltz bow roller
  • cleaning kit, vinyl and glass cleaner. probably want to wash and wax the thing as well
  • Boat pole, docking pole, whatever they call them.
  • Hose clamps in case you need a tow - if you tow with the motors off you can potentially get water in the motor, clamping the hoses eliminates this, I purchased two vise grip type quick clamps for this purpose.
  • knife to cut rope in case you suck one up -

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
  • Throwable life preserver
  • General Tool kit
  • Anchor line and chain
  • Boat hook
  • Eventually you will likely want more USB outlets....

See my signature for my 242X thread with what I've done so far...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if this is your first boat which it sounds like it is, get a test ride demo from your dealer to be sure the boat performs as you expect, it should throw you back in your seat without delay and shouldn't pull in one direction or the other,

your first trip out should be with a limited group (1-2 other people) with no expectations than to practice load/unload from the trailer, slow speed handling and docking,

give yourself an hour or two of that because once you get a boat full of people expecting your to provide them with a good time responsibility and pressure go way up,

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
IMG_ipuefb.jpg

Got to have a boat grill!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other Things you need to bring (You may already have)
Cooler
Water
Towels
CCs and ID
Cell phone
Glasses.

Something else...
Anchoring is not hard, but there are some elements that must be accounted for... Enough Rope...You want a 7-1 ratio of rope to depth for optimal holding, so if you want to anchor in 14ft of depth, you need 100ft of rope. You can get away with less, but the right amount of rope will ensure a good angle of attack for the anchor, and thus, more holding power. A chunk of chain will help with the angle of attack also. I suggest a generous anchor, generous chain, and generous rope. watch the boat while at anchor picking a fixed point as reference so you can quickly identify if you are dragging anchor or otherwise not staying in place. Watch some anchoring videos. Wind direction and position of other boats is important. Boats already anchored will be facing the wind if they are on a single anchor.

Once you pick a spot you like ... (Not on top of other people if you can help it...)
Drive Into the wind past the spot a few boat lengths depending on depth of place the deeper it is, the more rope you need to release. 3-5 boat lengths normally works out.
Place Anchor in the water (with chain and rope attached, and bitter end tied to the boat)
reverse into place, front of boat into winds and waves...give rope as requested by anchor, slowing tug to help set here and there
Make sure Anchor is holding the boat. Some recommend tie off and reverse for a few seconds to make sure anchor is well set and does not move, not a bad idea.
Once you feel confident all is well, and boat is not moving from there...then,and only then turn off engines.

If anchor does not hold, there is no shame in that, maybe landed on a crappy spot, or something is tangled... pull anchor up, and try again.

Wrong way:
Pick Spot
Turn off boat
Throw Anchor
Tie Rope
Pray
Start boat again when you start hitting other boaters because you are dragging the anchor.

When departing...
Turn ON engines FIRST!
Retrieve Anchor, using boat power to help the anchor retriever dude or dudette
All Set.

Wrong Way:
Pull Up Anchor
Can't start boat
Crap, now drifting out of control
Eventually boat started after great comic/horror show for other boaters, (tragic/comic depending on their proximity to you.)

There is so much more you will learn. It's an exciting and fun hobby. Read as much as you can, and get a demo ride and/or someone with some boating experience to help you if available...You don't know what you don't know, but you learn quick!!!

I realized too late you said "new to Jet Boating", so this may all be familiar to you if you come from an non-jet boat. Oh well, already wrote it so It's staying. Best of luck, take pictures!

Last edited:

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rookie Rods or training wheels. Also known as guide poles for the trailer. We used VEVE. Great for all trailer boaters !

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I echo @Scottintexas. First get safe then get comfortable with the boat before loading up with toys and people. Unless you have previous boating experrience I would go to the local ramp and practice unloading & loading a few times.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other Things you need to bring (You may already have)
Cooler
Water
Towels
CCs and ID
Cell phone
Glasses.

Something else...
Anchoring is not hard, but there are some elements that must be accounted for... Enough Rope...You want a 7-1 ratio of rope to depth for optimal holding, so if you want to anchor in 14ft of depth, you need 100ft of rope. You can get away with less, but the right amount of rope will ensure a good angle of attack for the anchor, and thus, more holding power. A chunk of chain will help with the angle of attack also. I suggest a generous anchor, generous chain, and generous rope. watch the boat while at anchor picking a fixed point as reference so you can quickly identify if you are dragging anchor or otherwise not staying in place. Watch some anchoring videos. Wind direction and position of other boats is important. Boats already anchored will be facing the wind if they are on a single anchor.

Once you pick a spot you like ... (Not on top of other people if you can help it...)
Drive Into the wind past the spot a few boat lengths depending on depth of place the deeper it is, the more rope you need to release. 3-5 boat lengths normally works out.
Place Anchor in the water (with chain and rope attached, and bitter end tied to the boat)
reverse into place, front of boat into winds and waves...give rope as requested by anchor, slowing tug to help set here and there
Make sure Anchor is holding the boat. Some recommend tie off and reverse for a few seconds to make sure anchor is well set and does not move, not a bad idea.
Once you feel confident all is well, and boat is not moving from there...then,and only then turn off engines.

If anchor does not hold, there is no shame in that, maybe landed on a crappy spot, or something is tangled... pull anchor up, and try again.

Wrong way:
Pick Spot
Turn off boat
Throw Anchor
Tie Rope
Pray
Start boat again when you start hitting other boaters because you are dragging the anchor.

When departing...
Turn ON engines FIRST!
Retrieve Anchor, using boat power to help the anchor retriever dude or dudette
All Set.

Wrong Way:
Pull Up Anchor
Can't start boat
Crap, now drifting out of control
Eventually boat started after great comic/horror show for other boaters, (tragic/comic depending on their proximity to you.)

There is so much more you will learn. It's an exciting and fun hobby. Read as much as you can, and get a demo ride and/or someone with some boating experience to help you if available...You don't know what you don't know, but you learn quick!!!

I realized too late you said "new to Jet Boating", so this may all be familiar to you if you come from an non-jet boat. Oh well, already wrote it so It's staying. Best of luck, take pictures!
That is a TON of anchor line!!! :eek:

I know a good bit about the angle of the line going in the water but I have never heard of using that much. I have been boating since I was 16 and was taught years and years ago to let out 2-3x the depth in anchor line, depending on current and wind. In most spots, I am closer to 2 to 1 on the anchor line and I have never had one come loose. I guess better safe than sorry but 100ft of line in 14ft of water seems way up there. I would have to pick my anchor spots VERY CAREFULLY!!!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/How-To-Anchor-Securely

For a lunch spot, no wind, etc. less may be OK... It's a pain to drag anchor. You need as little as necessary as long as it holds. If it releases you had too little....(bad way to find out, I don' like it). I see 45 degree angles and even less, commonly letting loose/dragging for other boats in my area.

Also, lack of chain and too small an anchor is pretty common and I see people suffer for it. Better to be over pepared.

If less works for you, awesome. For a new guy, more rope and chain holds better.

Your make a good point, as the boat swings with a wind change, having similar scope to others ensures you won't hit anyone when swinging. But with too little rode, you will hit the others when you drag :)

Anchoring is fun, but it's more fun with a heavier anchor and chain. So it holds more. Watch the show, don't be the show.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Big difference in anchoring a 34 ft cruiser and a 19-24' bowrider.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed, but bigger boat has more chain, and more freeboard. All else being equal, any concerns with using more rope for more holding power? I'm glad a smaller ratio works for you, but I have a hard time not recommending having at least 100-150 ft of rope onboard for the main anchor, and using it to reach 5-1 to 7-1 ratio if space allows.

I'm here to share and learn, I am far from having all the answers.
Opposing views welcome.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would even get 2 boat hooks or paddles that have boat hook ends and hand grasps in paddle end. Than you only have to get close to the dock and kill the engines and your mates can gently pull you in. They collapse so don't take up too much room.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All good suggestions so far and it can get pricey as hell. A few things that helped me. Go to Overton's web site and either buy something or sign up for their marketing. Now, they always seem to have 10 to 15% off promo's which is great however a couple times a year I get a special 30% off one item promo code. This is great as there is ALWAYS something expensive you'll want to buy and 30% off is substantial and beats everybody else's price. Most of my stuff I got on Amazon and as always nice to read the reviews.

In regards to anchoring recommendations. My suggestion is to use more chain then the standard 4 ft. I use 6 ft of 5/16" and it helps keep that anchor down. Also, don't throw the anchor just drop it down. Depends on your lake bottom but don't be surprised if the 8# fluke anchor (that the locker seems designed around) doesn't hold. For me, an 8# anchor trying to hold these 24' boats is too small in wind and chop (and those big wakes coming off passing surfers).