• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is the range of a new SX190 running at a slow speed

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wonder what my range would be doing some island hopping on the west coast of Florida around the
Sanibel and Cayo Costa island and coming out from Pine Island area.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I came up from about 36th Terrace onto the river and went all the way out the miserable Mile to Sanibel and Captiva with a loaded boat and used the boat and made it all the way home with a 1/4 tank.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wonder what my range would be doing some island hopping on the west coast of Florida around the
People have crossed from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini on one tank of gas, we did it so I know it's possible, but so much depends on the conditions. Also - loading the boat to keep the bow light weight, and steady hand on the throttle helps a lot. And no cavitation - well sealed pump, impellers in great shape - it all saves fuel.

--

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That sounds good. Yes I have watched some videos of people going to Bimini and some take a little extra cans of fuel I noticed too to be on the safe side I guess. I guess the two engine models burn alot more and don't carry that much more.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds good. Yes I have watched some videos of people going to Bimini and some take a little extra cans of fuel I noticed too to be on the safe side I guess. I guess the two engine models burn alot more and don't carry that much more.
Yes and no. In rough water the singles have to work quite hard to run 20+ and stay on plane, though the 2019 190s carry 40gal which is nice.

--

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is the single engine use a torbocharger. I wonder if people have problems with the turbos on single and dual engine? Im a little worried
about them and cost of fixing turbos. Do they make dual engine models without turbos? Im not a speed demon:)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the single engine use a torbocharger. I wonder if people have problems with the turbos on single and dual engine? Im a little worried
about them and cost of fixing turbos. Do they make dual engine models without turbos? Im not a speed demon:)
Single engine Yamaha boats are either naturally aspired (190) or supercharged (older 192 - SHO and newer 195 -SVHO). Both are 1.8l 4cyl and seem very reliable.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 192 we had in the July trip run out of fuel as soon as we off plane in Bimini. The water was flat but at times we did do 30mph.

Because the condition play such an important factor I would say try to think in terms of gallons per hour and what is the maximum speed you can handle for a given condition.

I believe a lightly loaded 190 with the 40gallon tank will be able to keep up with the 24 footers. Unless you runing with @Bruce in which case then you probably need to bring an extra 80gallons

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did 72 miles on dead flat water. Ended up putting 27gal back in the tank once it was on the trailer.

Anyone Local to Nashville/Cumberland River?

When I say dead flat water, I mean almost mirror smooth water for the majority of that trip. Ocean/gulf excursions will use more.

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds interesting and 72 miles is a good distance for 27gal. I would mainly be here in the intercoastal area which is pretty smooth but
can get a little choppy but I would mostly be out on calm days:)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IIRC last time I tested my boat I found that little over 23 mph is the sweet spot for fuel efficiency on my boat with just me in it. If you go too slow you’re just dragging in the water and eating up fuel range and if you go too fast you’re simply burning more fuel which eats into the fuel range. Conditions also play a huge roll as mentioned. I don’t think you will have any issues local island hoping for a day with either NA or Supercharged engines.

Chucksx190

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live on the other side of cape coral the midpoint bridge area. I stay around 27-30mph. I come out of my canal and go up to boca pass I take the bay side. I then come home around the gulf side and go under the sanibel bridge. It’s about a 87 mile round trip. With my wife and I we make it back with 1/4 tank of fuel left and it takes around 23 gallons to fill it. Now when my family was up for thanksgiving we had 6 adults and 2 children plus all our crap. I brought 2 5 gallons gas cans but I made the trip with out refueling also we stayed closer to 23mph. When I filled up it took 31.6 gallons. This is with a 2018 sx190 with 40 hours on the engine. The map is from my google maps time line so it samples gps it’s not a continuous tracking that’s why it looks a little choppy.

Attachments

Last edited:

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018? I thought they only had a 30 gallon tank?

Chucksx190

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2018 should have a 30 gallon tank as per the specs but if you look at the tank I believe it says 34 gallons on it.

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I live on the other side of cape coral the midpoint bridge area. I stay around 27-30mph. I come out of my canal and go up to boca pass I take the bay side. I then come home around the gulf side and go under the sanibel bridge. It’s about a 87 mile round trip. With my wife and I we make it back with 1/4 tank of fuel left and it takes around 23 gallons to fill it. Now when my family was up for thanksgiving we had 6 adults and 2 children plus all our crap. I brought 2 5 gallons gas cans but I made the trip with out refueling also we stayed closer to 23mph. When I filled up it took 31.6 gallons. This is with a 2018 sx190 with 40 hours on the engine. The map is from my google maps time line so it samples gps it’s not a continuous tracking that’s why it looks a little choppy.
Sounds good. Thanks for the detail. That is the area around Cayo Costa and back to Saint James City area which would be less. I was thinking it would be fun to run along the coast and go down to the 10,000 islands area. Would have to stop along the way for some fuel but there plenty of places looks like. I wonder if anyone has made that trip all on the water staying close to the shore and could pull in and camp along the way. I know there are picnic sites you can get a ticket to stay at them in the everglades area off the net. Would be a cool trip.

Last edited:

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018 should have a 30 gallon tank as per the specs but if you look at the tank I believe it says 34 gallons on it.
I wonder if that means the 2019 model actually has a 44 gallon?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep in mind not all of that fuel is actually available once off plane. On plane you can probably run it dry, but coming off you "loose" access to 5-10 gal, at least in the new 240s.

--

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
why is that? I would figure you will loose some based on whatever the bottom shape of the tank is in relation to the pick up but 5 to 10 gallons is a lot to not have access too.

when planning trips should I be planning to not run below the 25% mark?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
why is that? I would figure you will loose some based on whatever the bottom shape of the tank is in relation to the pick up but 5 to 10 gallons is a lot to not have access too.

when planning trips should I be planning to not run below the 25% mark?
Sorry, I should had clarified I'm speculating a bit about the exact volume.
What I know for sure for my 240 is that anything much less than about 10 gal left in the tank when drifting/running no wake - OFF plane - will lead to my low fuel alarm going off.
If I'm on plane, I do not get the low fuel alarm until I'm basically dry. I think it has to do with the distribution of fuel due to inertia and boat attitude on plane rather than just the shape of the tank bottom.

I think the 190s (based on my old 2012 190) are similar but maybe closer to 5gal, if I remember correctly.

I also would not trust the fuel gauge, it is not accurate. "Gallons used" meter in the Connext is pretty much spot on.

--

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the 2019 I have the Connext screen which show the percentage, is that what you a referring to being spot on?

I have only had to fill up once so far and it took exactly what I estimated based on that percentage, so I am assuming it is pretty close to accurate.