• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is wrong with my wake surf setup?

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm trying to wake surf and it's not really going as expected. As you can see in the video, the wave is real frothy and doesn't look like other waves I've seen with similar setups. I'm wondering if we are going to fast but going slower seemed worse. There isn't a speed control available for this boat that I'm aware of but we're trying to keep speed consistent, trying in the 10-12 range. I've adjusted the wedge angle and I'm not seeing a big difference. I suspect a storage locker ballast bag would be a big help as the nose of the boat is really up in the air but I still feel like I should be seeing a little better results.

2005 AR230 HO
725 Transom Fat Sac
Homemade "wake wedge" that is nearly identical to Gatlin product
Slingshot Coaster XR

Happy 4th everyone.[flag]

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You need more ballast. First fill the bag on the swim platform to its max. Then add 750 under the surf side rear bench seat. Add another 200-300 in the bow. If you don’t have many passengers maybe another 400 on the floor. You need at least 2000lbs of ballast and people.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
How much human ballast and where are they at? How deep is the surf side sitting in the water? We normally have about 600-650lbs of humans (as much as possible lines up along the surf side), 100lbs of ice/drinks/food, Easy 100lbs of stuff (tools, towels, spare parts, tubes, ropes), both rear sacs full (550lbs?some things I’ve read say as much as 750), 1 300lb sac on the lower and 1 on the upper rear seat/platform. I try to get the rear platform just under water on the surf corner. Then depending on wind and current 9-high 11ish mph. I use the wake booster though so it works a bit differently than a wedge. Not sure that helps much.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like you may be going too fast. We allow the wave determine our speed.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How deep is the water?

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How deep is the water?
My depth finder is broken and the new one is on backorder but I think it's about 10' deep where we were on the bay. I guess we could go out a little farther to make sure it's deep enough. The only ballast was the transom bag, miscellaneous tools, toys etc and then my wife, son and mother in law who can't exceed 250lbs all together.

I've ordered a 750lb locker ballast bag but won't get it for this trip. We've got today and a little time tomorrow to play around and make the best of this setup.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shallow water is a wave killer regardless of how much ballast. I suggest at you get two or three more bags (different sizes) and invite a few friends. Put most of the weight surfside.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd agree with not enough weight and too shallow of water. FWIW, the waves you see behind dedicated wake boats are coming out from under 5,000+ pound boats with another 3,000-6,000 pounds of ballast.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand that this boat won't compare with a true wake boat and I'm ok with that. I enjoy watching videos of them but when comparing my wave to others I check out other similar Yamahas. I did have better luck the next day with a little more body weight, going out a little deeper and calmer water. I have to get the video of my GoPro. I bought an additional 750lb ballast bag and it arrived already but won't get back to the water for 2.5 weeks.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm sure you have, but if not watch all of Jetboatpilot's surf setup videos.
I'm testing both setups right now...to get the best ropeless wave.
1. Cobra Fins with Gantlin Wakewedge w/ transom and center locker Fatsacs.
2. Thrust Vectors w/kickstand (latest model) Jetboatpilot jetwash deflector, steel shot bags transom (easier to switch from side to side), fatsac center locker. I'll do a full write up over the winter.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
More ballast. Speed control (waves are SUPER picky down to the tenth of a MPH). And deep water.

I would say, not bad though - it looks like crap, but also looks surfable...

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I understand that this boat won't compare with a true wake boat and I'm ok with that. I enjoy watching videos of them but when comparing my wave to others I check out other similar Yamahas. I did have better luck the next day with a little more body weight, going out a little deeper and calmer water. I have to get the video of my GoPro. I bought an additional 750lb ballast bag and it arrived already but won't get back to the water for 2.5 weeks.
Sorry - I wasn't very clear in my original post. I was just trying to point out that more weight is usually better and using the somewhat extreme example of the weights being pushed by dedicated wake boats to make those killer waves. I know that my own wakeboat wouldn't make a very useful wave with 750 lbs of ballast in it. Heck, it doesn't really start to come alive until we get at least 4,000 in it. These Yamaha hulls do seem very capable of producing a decent wave with considerably less weight, but I'd wager you'll want at least twice as much as you have.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sorry - I wasn't very clear in my original post. I was just trying to point out that more weight is usually better and using the somewhat extreme example of the weights being pushed by dedicated wake boats to make those killer waves. I know that my own wakeboat wouldn't make a very useful wave with 750 lbs of ballast in it. Heck, it doesn't really start to come alive until we get at least 4,000 in it. These Yamaha hulls do seem very capable of producing a decent wave with considerably less weight, but I'd wager you'll want at least twice as much as you have.
Yep, I'm at 2k lbs on my 212S to make a decent wave. It's amazing to me the little ballast that Yamaha puts in an "X" series boat. I swear I can hold more beer in my bladder...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As others have said - MO BALLAST! You want a major lean to the surf side, and you don't want all the ballast in the stern.

Perfect Pass speed control is available for your model (I had it on my 2005 SX230). I would surf it at 10.5mph.

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Only other thing wrong with your set up is that you didn't buy a Malibu or Supra, etc. Surfing will only get so good on a jet boat.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yep, I'm at 2k lbs on my 212S to make a decent wave. It's amazing to me the little ballast that Yamaha puts in an "X" series boat. I swear I can hold more beer in my bladder...
I think it's due to regulations, even dedicated surf boats still need more weight to get those killer waves. They can't manufacture the boat with crazy ballast numbers plus have high person capacity and be considered "safe".

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Square peg, round hole.

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am currently getting ready to sell my 24' 2020 SE and buy a Malibu. Malibu 24 MXZ holds 15 (3 more than my Yami) plus crazy amounts of ballast Don't get me wrong. Yamaha is a great boat for speed, tubing, wake boarding, etc. But for surfing it will always be sub par.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
You can get decent waves to ride indefinitely rope less with our boats. Just like anything else in life you can get somethings that is great at one aspect but marginal at others or you can go for a jack of all trades which is where the Yamaha fits well.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to balance getting the best wave I can at a reasonable cost. Even if I could afford a real wake surf boat, I don't get to boat enough to justify the cost. Where we boat the most, being able to go in pretty shallow water is very helpful. Anyways, here is video of one of my better rides the next day. Even though the water was far from glass, it was smoother than the day before which I think was the most helpful change. Excited to try again in about 2 weeks with more ballast. Then in 3 weeks we'll have a big crowd so I can get some people ballast.