• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What materials were used to build the Yamaha Jet Boats?

johnniemesser

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I have been scouring the boards doing research on the Yamaha Jet Boats. I can't afford a new one, so I've targeted the 230 AR or SX 2004 and up. I passed on an Ar the other day for 14k due to the fact that it had been sitting for 2 years. The sitting didn't worry me so much as the owner didn't take out the drain plug and the water was high in the bilge. I am a former inboard nut who has had the pleasure of cutting out wooden stringers and doing a repair. Can someone please point me to the tech data that tells me what level of wood was used in these boats? in particular, the stringers and their construction. Thanks in advance!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been scouring the boards doing research on the Yamaha Jet Boats. I can't afford a new one, so I've targeted the 230 AR or SX 2004 and up. I passed on an Ar the other day for 14k due to the fact that it had been sitting for 2 years. The sitting didn't worry me so much as the owner didn't take out the drain plug and the water was high in the bilge. I am a former inboard nut who has had the pleasure of cutting out wooden stringers and doing a repair. Can someone please point me to the tech data that tells me what level of wood was used in these boats? in particular, the stringers and their construction. Thanks in advance!
No wood stringers and no cored hull/transom panels. There is some wood embedded in pre-2015 bilge/stern for mounting various accessories, but that's about it. It is all true FRP (good). The 230s' hulls seem to be thicker and sturdier than the newer ones.

--

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 230s do have some balsa wood sandwiched between layers of fiberglass for the floor of the bow and cockpit. There is a known issue of having the table leg receiver in the cockpit floor lose its seal and then water seeps in and slowly starts to rot out the wood core giving the floor a spongy feel. I had a section of my floor replaced this year, luckily it was only a 24" x 26" rectangle. Others have made the repair themselves.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@johnniemesser Where are you located? Can you forward me the info for the AR you passed up on. I am looking at getting another AR230 if the price is right.

Thanks!!!

theSwede

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Do the newer Yamahas also have wood cores?
I held back a purchase after reading the repair stories here.
But I really would like to trade up my traditional SeaRay to a jet boat.
Does anybody know if the other brands also use wood in their cores?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do the newer Yamahas also have wood cores?
But I really would like to trade up my traditional SeaRay to a jet boat.
Does anybody know if the other brands also use wood in their cores?
While there are occasional rotted panels on Yamahas it is very rare. It is not something that would concern me.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Keep in mind that people come here to find out HOW to repair things.....many never have to do anything to their boats.

What repair stories scared you off from buying a Yamaha? Or was it just boats in general? I've found my Yamaha's (now on my 3rd) to be super reliable!

theSwede

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thank you both.
I hope that holds for the wet and cold Swedish climate.

I saw one marvelous repair job were the guy completely cut open the floor and replaced the rotted balsa. What scares me is that I don't have such skills...

There is a lot of wood in my searay too and I realize I may need to replace some to be able to sell it on the Swedish market. But since it is only wood and no glass fiber plastic involved it is easier. But I do wish they used something else than carpet on untreated wood...

I'll be back when I have decided on a purchase and keep following this great forum.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@theSwede, what is the market like for Yamaha boats? I assume they are far between and expensive? Are they prized like old American cars?

Where are you located? I have friends in Gothenburg and Stockholm and even enjoyed a few nights in your beautiful country.

theSwede

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce , prices for US boats are usually fairly low here, lower than local brands. The reason is often the common use of of wood in core parts of the construction. Another reason for the low prices is lack of European certification.
But they are quite popular anyhow due to good value for money.

The US boats on the market are usually imported used. There are several importers specializing in this trade.

Right now there are a couple of Yamahas on the market nearby. They will probably sell for 30-40% lower price compared with a similar local outboard boat.