• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What SeaDek color is best for 2012 Yamaha 242 Limited S?

242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's time to replace our stinky snap-in carpet. I was looking at the SeaDek option instead, but can't determine a color. By the life of me, I can't figure out what color to go with. Looking to replace the cockpit area as of now. I ordered a sample pack, but it's taking a long time to arrive and boating season is coming quick. Any suggestions would be great from owners with same make and model. Thanks!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think most will agree, that you should try to compliment the color of the upholstery or at least the trim on the seats. That will give you the best look overall. But it is a personal choice in the end.

What that means, if you have one of the 242's with earth tones, you may go with the chocolate or mocha over black for a nice look. But grey may not look as good. If you have one with a black exterior and grey tied into the seats, then grey seadek will look nice.

But shoot for matching the trim on the seats. Some try to match the exterior boat color, and it gets loud real quick. For example, blue exterior and blue floor. Kinda trendy, but way too loud.

You can never go wrong with the basic colors, or wood tones.

Good luck!

lake gypsy.jpg

242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks... I'm trying to match the interior trim on the seats for sure. I leaning towards the chocolate, but not seeing the option for that color on the JetPilot site. Therefore, may have to go with the mocha over black. Was hoping to get a confirmation of a matching color from someone since you can't return it, even if never opened.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine above is Chocolate over black. You may want to confirm with Will, but I guess some may have experienced some fading. So Mocha was recommended. Mocha is a bit lighter color.

We have not seen much fading, or at least if it has, it faded very evenly.

0D25932F-9CD9-42E1-BDB2-A8169B7BE6C0.jpeg9AB059FA-9207-4147-B14D-737BCDDA9A9B.jpeg

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's time to replace our stinky snap-in carpet. I was looking at the SeaDek option instead, but can't determine a color. By the life of me, I can't figure out what color to go with. Looking to replace the cockpit area as of now. I ordered a sample pack, but it's taking a long time to arrive and boating season is coming quick. Any suggestions would be great from owners with same make and model. Thanks!
IF you're willing to tough it out until September 1st, JBP should be hosting another yearly group buy with upwards of 30% off Seadek items and more (30% if enough people buy in which I've been told is usually never an issue).

Either way, I would also go with a color that compliments the boat interior so it flows well. Otherwise, I've seen some tricked out color schemes that are so different from the color of the boat they look awesome (such as the Yamaha blue color hulls with orange Seadek).

Think, this blue with orange matting!

242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies!

We ended up going with the Chocolate over the black since it matches our interior the best, and went against JP recommendations; since that color isn't is warrantied due to the melting factor. However, we're in Michigan, and keep our boat covered all the time except when it's being used of course. Hoping that we'll have the same longevity as 'biffdotorg' had with his in a northern state as well. I read that they had a melting case in Illinois before.

Too bad that don't sell a spray or coating to protect from UV rays? I use a UV protectant on our seats and may try it on the flooring in the bow where it will be exposed the most when out on the water. Time will tell...

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just installed storm grey and now I’m not thrilled with with how awful the beige helm looks. Buddy who helped me detail and install happens to be an upholster, may have him put some leather around the beige under the dash and to the right, change the look. Kills me looking at the new ones, 2019 is so nice, but with the money I’ve put in now to upgrades and low cost of mine can’t justify it.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since you probably had your SeaDek on order prior to Post #2 of this thread, let's consider what you can do now that it's installed.

You could pull the gauges, electronics and mask off anything else and paint the beige parts of your dash and trim. Or pull them out and have them hydro-dipped (carbon fiber color pattern would be a good choice) Or anything to match the color of the SeaDek. Keeping in mind, your cushions were matched to the dash as well from the factory. So those will still clash.

One thing, you missed the most important piece right in the center. Your cushion will still go in if you install that piece. It's the place with the greatest risk of someone slipping, as there is nothing to grab onto for balance. And once wet is quite slippery.

Good luck though!

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Since you probably had your SeaDek on order prior to Post #2 of this thread, let's consider what you can do now that it's installed.

You could pull the gauges, electronics and mask off anything else and paint the beige parts of your dash and trim. Or pull them out and have them hydro-dipped (carbon fiber color pattern would be a good choice) Or anything to match the color of the SeaDek. Keeping in mind, your cushions were matched to the dash as well from the factory. So those will still clash.

One thing, you missed the most important piece right in the center. Your cushion will still go in if you install that piece. It's the place with the greatest risk of someone slipping, as there is nothing to grab onto for balance. And once wet is quite slippery.
Good luck though!
Yep, actually I think I placed my order the day before this thread was started!

Appreciate the suggestions! Yes, we got that last one, this pic was sent mid install to my wife, wish I had a final install pic, but will take later.

I must be partially color blind I didn’t realize the dash matched the cushions! Given my buddy can do upholstery for me almost at no cost I was thinking black leather would just make it all work, that said with the contours it maybe really difficult to do. Before I remembered my buddy can do the upholstery I was thinking plasti dip or vinyl wrap too, but plasti dip I don’t think will come out looking good and vinyl wrap could be really hard to do with all the curves. That said, I’m going to look into hydro dipping, not too familiar with that, but from the name it sounds like probably the best options, again due to the contours. Didn’t think of spray paint but you bring up a good point, that might work well too.

I think black or a carbon fiber is pretty much going to be my only option.

I have a new head unit coming this week thats all black and may play around with getting a GPS mounted on a bracket in front of the 5 rocker switches to the right of the gauges.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see what you are saying. From what I could see, your cushions were more of the beige/tan off white, rather than the grey that is usually used when grey flooring is installed. I could be color blind too.

Either way, black matches everything, but it is also going to be hot as the sun once exposed on the water. So that might be a tough one to use. I think that's why we see more grey than blacks in boats. Although, you look like you have a black dash on the passenger side, what's up with that? I think ours match the other side, or are more brown?

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea was thinking the black would get hot, it don’t think I have another option. The dash on the port side is black.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We love our Mica over Chocolate. Should stay cooler too, maybe fade less? We just put it down. You'll be happy with whatever you chose just due to convenience of not drying carpet anymore.View attachment 95291
That is so pretty. I have a 232LS and those seats look similar to mine. Did you consider the terra cotta at all? I really like that light color as it is so damn hot here in summer. ;)

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Just installed storm grey and now I’m not thrilled with with how awful the beige helm looks. Buddy who helped me detail and install happens to be an upholster, may have him put some leather around the beige under the dash and to the right, change the look. Kills me looking at the new ones, 2019 is so nice, but with the money I’ve put in now to upgrades and low cost of mine can’t justify it.
View attachment 96536
I feel you. Still love my boat but all my wood grain dash pieces are ruined....need to replace. Been trying to figure out if I can paint them, dip them....I don’t know. The rest of her looks good, though!

David Huether

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We love our Mica over Chocolate. Should stay cooler too, maybe fade less? We just put it down. You'll be happy with whatever you chose just due to convenience of not drying carpet anymore.View attachment 95291
I did the same color combo on our 2014 242 but not in the cockpit just the swim platform, step over, front hatch.. Looks awesome. stains easily but usually can ge the stains out. It is much cooler on the feet in TExas.