• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What size boat to buy??

torpedo769

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good morning fishermen! I am looking to purchase a used jet boat. I primarily fish lakes but would also like to try the river. There is a beautiful 24' for sale but I am nervous that 24' might be too big. Would I be better to staying in the 20' range? What are the thoughts of the jet boat owners?

Thank you in advance

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you do a lot of fishing you would probably be better with a 19’ or 21’ fsh model if your going with Yamah.

torpedo769

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you do a lot of fishing you would probably be better with a 19’ or 21’ fsh model if your going with Yamah.
I am looking at some North Rivers but the 24 ' is a Eagle Performance by outlaw eagle. Are you saying go shorter maneuverability?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought you were looking for a jet boat. 21 is the biggest Yamaha makes for the fishing line. If your looking for outboards your probably on the wrong forum.

torpedo769

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I thought you were looking for a jet boat. 21 is the biggest Yamaha makes for the fishing line. If your looking for outboards your probably on the wrong forum.
I definitely am looking for a jet, just not a Yamaha. Shoot! did I accidentally post on in a Yamaha forum?

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I definitely am looking for a jet, just not a Yamaha. Shoot! did I accidentally post on in a Yamaha forum?
You’re still in good company! Back in Idaho the Custom Welds pretty much dominated since you could get them configured to suit just about any need. That said if you’re just wanting to get into river fishing or think you won’t make a career out of it, Lowe makes the “Roughneck” line paired to a jet outboard that will get the job done. It’s a reliable weld as we’ve had both the deep-v and the flat bottom iterations and they both served us well. Good luck on your search!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nope, you’re in the right spot. Most here are just more familiar with the Yamaha brand. Those look pretty sweet, I’d never heard of those boats before.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yeah I had to google it. they look rad. But I have no clue about them

torpedo769

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No worries Webb, I appreciate the info. Here is the link to the one I am looking at. Let me know your thoughts on this particular one plus what you think of the 454 Kodiak EFI GM engine. I have heard terrible gas guzzler and to stick with the 350, 5.7 or 6.0

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is a Jetboat forum. It is not just a Yamaha group. There are other manufacturors and jetdrives discussed/represented here, even outboard jetdrives.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No worries Webb, I appreciate the info. Here is the link to the one I am looking at. Let me know your thoughts on this particular one plus what you think of the 454 Kodiak EFI GM engine. I have heard terrible gas guzzler and to stick with the 350, 5.7 or 6.0

WOA, that thing is pretty cool.

What kind of water are you fishing on with that thing?

What are the benefits of jet in that application?

That boat looks seriously more robust and powerful than anything Yamaha makes. I can see why the Yamaha isn't being cross shopped here!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the power plant for me would depend on how much equipment and people I was usually taking out. Big blocks usually have more torque. As they say there’s no replacement for displacement. It would come down to being able to pay for the extra gas

torpedo769

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
WOA, that thing is pretty cool.

What kind of water are you fishing on with that thing?

What are the benefits of jet in that application?

That boat looks seriously more robust and powerful than anything Yamaha makes. I can see why the Yamaha isn't being cross shopped here!
I will be fresh water on quite a large lake and the Sacramento river. I like the jet for shallow water ops!

torpedo769

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think the power plant for me would depend on how much equipment and people I was usually taking out. Big blocks usually have more torque. As they say there’s no replacement for displacement. It would come down to being able to pay for the extra gas
That is a great point Webb, do you have any idea, generally speaking, what the fuel economy difference is between the 350 and the 454?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a great point Webb, do you have any idea, generally speaking, what the fuel economy difference is between the 350 and the 454?
No not in that environment. In my previous muscle cars and trucks I would say 4 or 5 mpg.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Family member in PNW has one.. its great for running rivers and shallow streams. On plane only need 6 inch of water. Allows getting through rapid areas.

Can add some air ride seats for more comfy ride.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any of yall notice or look up the stomp grate... interesting for clearing obstructions from intake grate.