• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to buy. 212x, NXT20, Supreme S21

Chris Oneslager

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I was in all the way on a 212X last year and waiting for the 2017's. Now the extra 8-9K has put the boat into a new price range an new competition.

I have access to a new loaded NXT20 and a loaded Supreme SKI 21s, both the same price or less than the 212X this year. Loved my SeaDoo Challenger 180, but too loud.

Really leaning towards the Mastercraft NXT20 or the Sumpreme S21.

Thoughts? Anyone have an opinion on the Supreme Ski boats?

dustinjean

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If you plan to wakeboard and surf go supreme or mc if you just want to tube and pitch anchor alot and do power turns to piss people off get the 212x, also not sure if they have done anything for sound deadening from the factory but im sure they have done a bit. My boat has the ls3 and you cant even hear it start at the ramp all you hear is a bit of exhaust getting onto plane but once on plane its back to silent and I dont even have fae, also most wakeboat dealers will let you demo the boats if your serious about buying unlike yamaha, my sales guy is going to let me demo a malibu m235 in January and he knows I don't plan to spend 170k on a boat unless i win the lotto but I want to see if it lives up to the hype.

Also supreme is made by centurion its just their more affordable line, if we had a dealer close by i probably would have bought a centurion but their nowhere near here.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree, the new pricing puts the 212X into a different category. I saw an NXT20 on the lake a few weeks ago, and they are sharp. Centurion makes a hell of a wake boat also. If your main usage will be surfing or wakeboarding, you'll be happy with the v-drive. The X will need a bit of modifying to get the same quality wake. (Bigger bags, wedge, etc)

IMHO, Yamaha maintains their edge as an "all-around" kind of boat. If I were you, I would try to get on all three and see what will be fit your use.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You really need to ask yerself do I want a single purpose (Wake-Ski) boat or do you want a multi-purpose boat. Its pretty well documented the 212x's are not the perfect wake/ski boats but they offer versatility. So if your time on the water for the next 5 years is all about the wake you know which way to go.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Loved my SeaDoo Challenger 180, but too loud.
If this was a big factor I would go with one of the wake boats they will be much quieter then the Yamaha. Obviously I have not been on a 2017 212x yet but I imagine its the same noise level of a newer 240 and even though they are quieter then prior models they are still much louder then and I/O, Vdrive or newer outboard that I have been on in the last few years. I'm sure someone will chime with db numbers trying to say how close they are now but reality is its still the difference between being able to have a normal voice level conversation with someone at 35 mph and not being able to.

Chris Oneslager

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Wow. Great feedback. When we are on the water currently, it is tubing, skiing, and a little wake board. My teenagers and their friends really want to try to surf, but we just don't have the ability. At this point, we rarely just go out for a cruise and anchor, almost always using our limited time on the water doing water sports.

A few comments on a purpose boat vs all-purpose above. Not spent any time on a true v drive boat, what are the pros and cons vs I/O or jet. Guess I wondering what we will be giving up on a true ski/surf boat.

So no concerns on the Supreme brand, good to know.

Thanks

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The 2017 212X definitely needs a Wake Wedge to surf with it. Figure that into your analysis. Jets don't do well in areas with a lot of weeds or debris. Think about where you will be boating.

I will tell you I have a great many fond memories with lots of teens on our 212X. If you are serious about watersports, get a purpose built boat. If you are serious about laughter and having fun with your family and friends, I think the 212X should be your choice.
IMG_0931.JPG

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
V drive boats are great for pulling, prop under the boat so safer, no I/O unit maintainance to deal with. Bad is there is no trim and needs deeper water also need to repack the shaft seals ever so often. Only benefit I see for the I/O is adjustable trim. Jet boats no trim to worry about and least amount of maintainance but not the real yank you out of the water torque you get with a prop but still plenty to pull skiers, tubers and such. Will need extras for a perfect wake if that's what you need. Hate to say it but the quality of the build isn't up to the same standards of mastercraft at all. You really need to spend some time using them all to make up your mind.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Like everyone has said, this is truly a personal decision. What will you be doing with the boat. If the primary is water-sports there is no question, go v-drive. If not go 212X. The V-drives typically do not handle chop well, especially the smaller ones. I like to go out on Lake Michigan from time to time and could not do that with a V-drive. Also, they are slow. I have topped out at 43 on all the V-drives I have ever been on and they porpoise severely at top speeed unless people are in the bow. If you hit the waves wrong, everyone is wet. When we sold our 07 SX230, we considered a MB for a second, but just thought we would miss the non watersports activities we do on our boat too much.

Chris Oneslager

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
We stay on Kansas or Missouri lakes, nothing really huge. We do get whitecaps, but that is about it. Speed is not a big issue, 40+ is fast as we go now. Most of the time we are doing some kind of watersports. What I am still trying to figure out is what non watersports activities do v-drives do poorly?

You guys are awesome with your feedback and advice.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love how many folks spend unnecessary amount of $ on these so cold wake boats and most of time they are doing the same thing I'm doing with my Jet boat, SITTING AT THE COVE with good company. Amazes me. If financials is not the problem and if you spend most of your time waking board, I say go MC or Centurion. But IMO if you are not a professional wake boarder, it's waste of money to me. I can't find any way to justify spending the money on them. Your average wakeboarder would not sweat over not having a wake boat to have fun. I have friends who own Brand new Super Natiques and Mastercrafts with $30k sound systems and most of them envy the new Yamaha styles.

Oh ya not to say, the LADIES think the Yamaha is way more sexier ;)

Take it from someone who used to own a SeaRay.

Chris Oneslager

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I love how many folks spend unnecessary amount of $ on these so cold wake boats and most of time they are doing the same thing I'm doing with my Jet boat, SITTING AT THE COVE with good company. Amazes me. If financials is not the problem and if you spend most of your time waking board, I say go MC or Centurion. But IMO if you are not a professional wake boarder, it's waste of money to me. I can't find any way to justify spending the money on them. Your average wakeboarder would not sweat over not having a wake boat to have fun. I have friends who own Brand new Super Natiques and Mastercrafts with $30k sound systems and most of them envy the new Yamaha styles.

Oh ya not to say, the LADIES think the Yamaha is way more sexier ;)

Take it from someone who used to own a SeaRay.
Thanks for the input, we rarely just float. I was not having this issues until Yamaha raised the price on the 212x 9K. Found a good price on a new 15 NXT20 and a new 16 Supreme s21 for the same price as the new 212x, or less for the MC. We are average at best for wakeboard, but the kids want to try to surf, and not sure Yamaha has that quite yet without the add on mentioned above

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
How long will the "Kids" be around and into wake sports? Remember Age and injuries happen. Now I say this cause I try to get the most versatility out of my boat and it works very well for me. Im also not the guy who has to be a sport specific snob about my equipment. Lastly Im No brand fan boy for any of my sports. Well except for Evil and thats for good reason

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Buy a wakeboard boat unless you are getting a 24' or buying a lower model 21. I agree the price increase puts this in another category of boats.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had to go check out the Mastercraft and not impressed. It looks cool, but the use of space simply doesn't appeal to me. The bow is tiny. The engine blocks the stern from the main part of the boat. I was suprised to see it doesn't have flip up hinged seats.

That said, every boat is different, and if you like it, that is what is important.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We stay on Kansas or Missouri lakes, nothing really huge. We do get whitecaps, but that is about it. Speed is not a big issue, 40+ is fast as we go now. Most of the time we are doing some kind of watersports. What I am still trying to figure out is what non watersports activities do v-drives do poorly?

You guys are awesome with your feedback and advice.

you can't beach a V drive or get in to shallow water less than 2ish foot. This is where i think most jet boat owners spend a lot of time.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I am still trying to figure out is what non watersports activities do v-drives do poorly?
(As you already know)
1. Inboards/v-drives need deep(er) water.
2. There is now a relative glut of "dedicated" ski/wake boats in the market, resale value is probably not going to be great.

(On the other hand)
1. Yamahas/jet boats ARE loud and not ideal for water sports.
2. Relatively crappy finish, but still -- extremely versatile and good resale value.

--

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Have thought about getting into a used Nautique by any chance? Amazing boats and very well made. I just went from an inboard Ski Nautique to a Challenger 210 jet boat and the difference is night and day. The Nautique was quieter even with a 351 windsor and better on fuel. She topped out at 46, but the noise levels don't even compare, plus you can't beat the burble of the V8 compared to the whiny buzz of twin 1.5L's. Our boat was also super easy to maintain compared to our jet as well (oil and trans fluid changes annually for the most part).

The main reason for our swap was salt and rough water boating. The flat-bottomed Nautique would knock your teeth out in a slight chop and salt water was not an option due to the lack of trim and low freeboard, but for lake use, she was an amazing boat that would run circles around our current ride. From the type of activities you plan on doing, I'd get a ski/wake boat as opposed to a jet, but I also wouldn't rule out a used Nautique or Mastercraft either. Prices are low now, so you have plenty of options.

I'd poke around the Nautique and Mastercraft sites to get some feedback from some users as well.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you get.

Chris Oneslager

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
One of the issues I am seeing people talk about for v-drive is no trim adjustment. While watching the video on the NXT, there is an attitude adjustment that can move the bow up and down. It is a big plate in the back center of the stern. It also has plates on the side that can help adjust balance and weight distribution. While it might not be true trim control, it appears to be similar in functionality. The supreme has the same setup as well.

Can anyone comment on that?

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
One of the issues I am seeing people talk about for v-drive is no trim adjustment. While watching the video on the NXT, there is an attitude adjustment that can move the bow up and down. It is a big plate in the back center of the stern. It also has plates on the side that can help adjust balance and weight distribution. While it might not be true trim control, it appears to be similar in functionality. The supreme has the same setup as well.

Can anyone comment on that?
The trim issue people are mentioning has to do with shallow water driving. V-drives and direct drives have a fixed drive train below the waterline and require a certain amount of draft otherwise the rudder, prop, driveshaft and strut can hit the bottom causing damage to both the boat and your wallet.

running gear.jpg