• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to do with torn up old flag?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have an American flag that I need to replace... but I don't know what to do with the old one. What is the proper etiquette for this?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Burn it. If you don't want to do it yourself, you can usually drop off to a local VFW.

The Veterans Department of Affairs suggests starting by folding the flag in a customary triangle manner. Then prepare a large enough fire space to sufficiently burn the flag completely. Next place the flag in the fire and while it burns, individuals at the ceremony should salute or recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Finally, end the ceremony with a moment of silence and bury the ashes once the flag is completely consumed.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
or a boy scout troop, our troop also had some to retire,

you can do it yourself if you ever have campfires, it doesn't have to be a grandiose affair, just be respectful of it and make sure it burns quickly and completely

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have an American flag that I need to replace... but I don't know what to do with the old one. What is the proper etiquette for this?
Love the patriotism. Too easy to dispose of some other way and glad to see someone seeking the knowledge and putting forth the effort. For those interested West Marine carries small US boat ensigns that are of very good quality. Memorial day is around the corner for the US and never a wrong time to show your patriotism no matter your nationality.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Burn it. If you don't want to do it yourself, you can usually drop off to a local VFW.
You cut the blue section off with the stars and cut the red stripe from the white ones and burn it all.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Shell Island 2018.jpg I have a solemn ceremony at my annual hunting trip where I burn my old flags. I fly a flag 24/7, and have for at least 25 years, and usually go thru 4-6 a year. Flag Etiquette

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Coheeba you may dislike it but its a approved way vs burning a whole intact flag Screenshot_20180430-150510_Chrome.jpg

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm sorry but I have never heard of cutting up a flag. You are right. . I have served for 42 years now and I just cant get over cutting a flag. [flag][flag][flag][flag][flag][flag][flag]

Last edited:

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most VFWs and American Legions have drop boxes for old flags.

As a Scoutmaster I organize Flag Retirement Ceremonies about twice per year during campouts, usually somewhere with historical significance. My favorite is Saratoga National Battlefield. They don't have an actual campground there but Scout Troops are allowed to camp overnight in exchange for completing service projects during our stay. We disposed of eight large trash bags of flags during our last outing. I help the Scouts take every flag out the bags and fold them, even the ones that are already folded get unfolded first. Sometimes we find shell casings or notes from loved ones explaining the history of the flag. (Often notes explain the flag was draped over a loved-one's casket during a military burial.) Many of the flags are in great shape and boys will take them home to hang on the wall. We even get lucky and find a 48-Star flag now and then .

If anyone is interested, I'll share the ceremony our Troop uses via email. It can be a very emotional ceremony and you've never seen a group of 10-18 year old boys stand so quietly, and reverently, for so long.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks guys, we have an American Legion that I can get to by boat. I think I will make my way up there and drop it off there sometime soon.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm sorry but I have never heard of cutting up a flag. You are right. . I have served for 42 years now and I just cant get over cutting a flag. [flag][flag][flag][flag][flag][flag][flag]
42 years !!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:[flag]

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I retired from the Navy I had the "Flag Ceremony" conducted. If you have never seen it, it will put a tear in the eye of every one present. I have attached the text but you have to see it.

Hell, I just read it again and my eyes are leaking.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hands down, our favorite show in Branson. This is one of their staple acts, if you’ve got a few minutes.

Presley’s Country Jubilee

Ronwhite

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can take it to your local Boy Scout Troop. They will destroy it properly and teach our youth how to do it properly. Its how I learned years ago. I guess its just Scouts now that females are allowed to join.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys, we have an American Legion that I can get to by boat. I think I will make my way up there and drop it off there sometime soon.
You can get to the Legion by boat? You mean, you have an excuse to take the boat out??? Sounds like you better put a drop box in front of your house!