• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would cause my 195 HOI to pull starboard ?

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've noticed our boat pulls to starboard . I've attributed it to water , wind or current conditions other times I've noticed.
We are camping on Seneca lake and have had some calm days , just my wife and I on board . The boat just wants to turn starboard and I have to keep constant pressure on the wheel to port to keep her straight . Any ideas on what this could be ?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a common problem.

Straighten and hold the steering wheel (have someone hold), jump to the rear of the boat, and look at the nozzle. The best way to do it is to look at it from the bottom of the heat exchanger. Make sure the nozzle is even across the back. If not, adjust the steering linkage to correct. If you find there is not enough thread, then just put it back where it was, and adjust the steering from the rear of the helm.

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@ScarabMike wouldn't that only center the steering wheel? I figured the wheel would be off center but the boat would track straight no ? Sorry Just woke up from an afternoon vaca nap , gonna check now ! Lol

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yeah seems for the nozzle to be straight the wheel needs to be at 1 and 7 o'clock position, I'll adjust the linkage and see on our afternoon run . Thanks

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@ScarabMike the adjustment worked as far as getting my jet nozzle straight. Now I've got a bone to pick with you , your wisdom set me back to square 1 ! I now need to relearn how to maneuver a jet boat with a perfectly straight jet nozzle ugh ! :winkingthumbsup"
Thank you !

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem @BMF JK !! I had to do this on my Seadoo as well. You will still have a small amount of creep in it due to water current, but the steering will feel more natural. I have to figure out how to get that small amount of play out also. It's almost like 1/2" and it bothers the heck out of me. I WILL figure it out!

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I noticed there is a fair amount of play in the nozzle, but she handles like you said more natural.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I didn't know you could adjust your own steering. Where is that located?

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I didn't know you could adjust your own steering. Where is that located?
There is a linkage adjustment on the right side of the jet nozzle and as @ScarabMike stated there is another adjustment location near the steering box behind the helm . I had enough thread at the nozzle linkage to get it straight.

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Here a pic of the linkage where it's attached to the arm of the nozzle. I removed the bolt that attached the linkage to the nozzle arm and loosened the set nut , made adjustment while my wife held the wheel straight , then reconnected the linkage to the nozzle arm and then tightened the set nut . image.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike I love your write-ups and your extremely useful advice here!

I certainly hope your next boat is going to be a Yamaha. ;)