• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you do if you came across a PWC a drift?

What would you do with drifting PWC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A little context: this just happened to me last Monday when I was out boating and tubing with my wife, son and his friends. On the way to lunch about a half mile outside of a small marina (the only one around for 15 miles in any direction, I found a Honda AquaTrax floating freely in the middle of the river. No rider on or floating nearby. I wasn’t sure what to do, I did do something but would like to hear from others before I disclose what I did.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with @Crob83 and @906Tony contact authorities right away someone could be in danger.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Maybe it was a bait ski, like that bait car show. And DNR was in the woods with some binaculors 😂😂😂

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What everyone said is all true, but I would have checks the glove compartment and kill switch. Because If you say the kill switch on off position , lanyard inside the glove compartment and lines on the clits then I say it is safe to assume unlikely anyone is drawing. I will still call it in, mark location and time found. And then take upstream to the firm marina.

Now if on the other hand it looks like a potential accident say lanyard missing engine pretty warm etc then I would call it with location/time and then start search and rescue right away. In that case I would not worry about the ski.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What everyone said is all true, but I would have checks the glove compartment and kill switch. Because If you say the kill switch on off position , lanyard inside the glove compartment and lines on the clits then I say it is safe to assume unlikely anyone is drawing. I will still call it in, mark location and time found. And then take upstream to the firm marina.

Now if on the other hand it looks like a potential accident say lanyard missing engine pretty warm etc then I would call it with location/time and then start search and rescue right away. In that case I would not worry about the ski.
I disagree. Many idiots ride without the lanyard...I'm not going to make any assumptions. Safest thing is to assume the worst and be happy if that isn't the case.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

WebJet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last weekend we came across one that was floating…with a large dog that looked like it was driving! Paws up on the handlebars, looking like he was having a great time! Upon closer inspection, the owner of the ski was swimming along the backside “towing” it to shore…

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the short answer is to contact law enforcement, however you can. When contacted they'll tell you to leave the watercraft where it is. It makes it more difficult for any investigation/follow-up if you move it. Treat it like any other crime scene.

It could be as simple as the PWC was being towed behind a boat and became detached with no one knowing. But it could be an incapacitated person in the water, you don't see, where time and location are critical to the rescue.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I scanned the area for a rider/owner when I came across the ski. As I did another boater pulled up, got on the ski and took off toward the guest dock with his boat following behind. When we got to the Docki asked why his ski was floating in the middle of the river riderless. That’s when he told me the ski wasn’t his. He just took it to the guest dock and was going to report it to someone there or at the marina across the river/slough we were in (less than 100 yards away). I assumed it was all good and had lunch with my people. In retro-spect I should have done more, at least call it in anyway. I’m not sure if the lanyard was in safety switch, in the glove box or with the ski at all. It may have been the boater’s lanyard but his boat didn’t look like it required one, if it did he must of had a spare since his wife/girl friend drove the boat to the guest dock. I’ve searched on line and there have been no reported drownings or missing persons in that area since last weekend. Still it’s been bothering me so I started this thread to help me better react the next time around while also hoping there is no next time around.

The first and time this happened to me was at a small reservoir about 10 years ago. As I scanned the area and prepared to tow the ski to shore, next to sheriffs boat another ski pulled up, tied up and took the ski away. When questioned the guy told me it was his and his guest rider was a newbie having a hard time so he took her To shore on the back of his ski and was just recovering the ski she was on.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lot of good and questionable replies above..... The steps I would have taken would be to secure the abandoned/loose vessel to mine and to drop anchor to maintain and mark the position/location found to prevent further drifting. As stated above also note the time found. Then get on the radio/phone to advise the proper authority. Then you standby and wait for further instructions from the proper authority who assumes responsibility for the vessel.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
1. Notify the coast guard or local police depending on location.
2. Take it in tow
3. Claim salvage rights!

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Last weekend we came across one that was floating…with a large dog that looked like it was driving! Paws up on the handlebars, looking like he was having a great time! Upon closer inspection, the owner of the ski was swimming along the backside “towing” it to shore…
They were doing it wrong, they must have been confused ... in Alaska, the dog pulls the humans!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I disagree. Many idiots ride without the lanyard...I'm not going to make any assumptions. Safest thing is to assume the worst and be happy if that isn't the case.
You are right but for people like that I like to pay homage on Darwin’s altar of natural selection.